Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If Malcolm McLaren had'nt spotted an oppotunity would punk exist...?

• 12-02-2005 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

..or had the Yanks already invented it with thwe MC5, Stooges, NY Dolls etc?

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

not something to be marketted i mean you could say that for most things...

one can only hope that is true, say an ad for the mojo which probably inspired this post, with the songs that inspired the pistols cd, any good

i say it was already created in new york

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

New York were way ahead. Sex Pistols ****ed up the whole thing more than anything else. And I wouldn't really say it was Malcolm McLaren spotting an opportunity either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

I'd say the Sex Pistols had a huge influence on bands in London at the time but they didn't single-handely create create punk music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

The Ramones were around before the Sex Pistols got going. The Pistols probably helped things to get going on this side of the world but I think Punk would have broken with or without McLaren, though maybe not as early as it did. He sure helped with the fashion side of it though.

All Malcolm McLaren did was help to give it a bad name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

And Bondage trousers.

Oh god yes! We can't forget the bondage trousers! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

no. i couldn't bear to credit that man with anything.

he's a fluke. and a twat. him and bernie rhodes can f**k right off.

ahhh. feel better now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I think it was a natural progression of things. it would have happened either way.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The Pistols sucked. So whatever Mc Laren did it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

dregin wrote:
    The Pistols sucked. So whatever Mc Laren did it wouldn't have mattered anyway.
    That's not true (the second part). How many bands did the Sex Pistols influence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

I would say that the pistols and McLaren didn't kick things off musically (although the pistols were great) but they totally created the attitude and image, giving us the complete punk package that is so recognisable to us today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

If you look back at the genesis of punk, it sort of looks like it was inevitable. Just like today, a lot of people were thinking similar things about music and politics at the time - the 60s blew out, the oil crisis made things difficult for people on both sides of the Atlantic, rock was boring, folk was boring, life was boring, capitalism was boring.

Punk was probably never inevitable, but people felt it was necessary at the time - it was nessary to fu*k things up to show people that alternatives still existed.

Actually, this way of thinking goes back to a load of pipe-smoking student intellectuals and artists in the 1960s who McClaren ripped off when he came back from France. So the ideas were floating around.

In fact, 'punk' ideas go back as far as the 1910s with the Dada artists.

If anything, punk probably would have happened because of the way people were thinking the same way about the world, were equally as disillusioned with Thatcher and Reagan and Kohl and bombs and nice middle class society robots screaming in the wilderness that people naturally gravitated towards something like it.

Advertisement