Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filtering / Pumping Problems

• 12-02-2005 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Anybody out ther notice that if you switch off a Fluval Aqauarim Pump, 3plus or 4 plus, they dont seem to come back with the same power?? Very simple dynamo type action, so its not the filter itself causing a slow down. Whe I just have the ump head immersed, with the prop exposed, the rate of flow is still just a trickle. Blew through the outlet annd it was a clear flow.

Any thoughts? or if you can recommend a better pump type go ahead...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Yes,

The dynamo action of the pump doesn't always come on in the same way.
    If you have a poke at it with a pencil or toothpick, even out of water, and get the mechanism going before re-emersing it in water seems to do the trick.

Have a similar prob with the Jewel pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Sysiphus

Cheers for the reply,

I've tried everything with them at this stage, and no joy.

Keeping the magnet/prop out turing on then inserting...no good!
    Powering on upside down, on side etc....no good!

And all other permutations that you can imagine, standing on one foot etc... :confused:

Thinking about geting an RO filter, about €150 to €200, any thoughts?

Will wait till I get my 400 litre tank in the next few months though, in the mean time I'll muddle along with sh*ty filtration and do more water changes!any thoughts?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Suggest ringing one of the more reputable aquarium stores and asking them- they are normally only too happy to give out good information and measured advice over the phone (it helps if they think you bought the aquarium from them). Keep away from the supermarket type stores (e.g. Petland and its ilk).
    Suggest- Boardwalk Petshop on the Quays / Newlands Garden Centre / The Orchard Garden Centre Celbridge.

The likes of Newlands carries different types of pumping equipment in kit form- so they might be able to offer alternate suggestions, even if they don't have an answer to your query.

Ps- Does the motor "hum" audibly, but not pump to the same extent? Can you feel it vibrate ever so slightly?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Sysiphus

One pumps prop make acliking sound every few reveloutions, whethrer or not the filter element is attached or not, the other one is as normal.

Just really annoying, the fluval 2 is only new!

I'll talk to kevin in wackers, or I'll ring the guys in Brittas - Aquariam world or something.

Cheers, nice to know it wasn't just bad luck on my part, but shoddy manufacture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Did you not sort out the farting noises with your pump yet ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

I would not go to that place again for anything, 2 beautifull white long finned koi took my fancy one day so I bought them. Had to treat my pond which had never had a problem before & both of them died. So I went back and looked carefully at their tanks, Filthy with dead fish which your man whipped out a bit sharpish. If I could have stood there and told all the customers I would have.Now being a dealer myself I know that the ammount of care given was nil and the more fish they flog to die the more they sell.

Not the way to deal. For coldwater fish go to brittas up in the hills & ian at least keeps pristine tanks.

Advertisement