Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for Tournament play

Options
  • 12-02-2005 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Right I'm looking for some advice on tournament play. At the moment I mostly play 5-25 dollar tournies on Empire, but while I mostly finish in the top third for them, I'm finding it difficult to get into the prize money. I think my play is too conservative at times and that I don't bluff enough. I'm too used to cash games and play very tight and end up short stacked mid or late game.

I'm experimenting with a more aggressive style at the moment, but I would appreciate advice from people on this.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Well you're probably on the ball with the "too conservative" guess. A good tight-agressive game will do most of the job. Very often though when players get the hands they dont make the chips. You have to think of the best way to get chips with good hands instead of just a big raise and everyone folding. The rest of the job will require bluffing from time time. Have a stab at limped pots etc. when the timing feels right. don't target small stacks with nothing to loose. Target stacks that are big but not big enough to eliminate you. Be prepared to give up a bluff if you are re-raised, you'll have other opportunities.

Advertisement