Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Numerous Boards

Options
  • 13-02-2005 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

I think, and I may not be alone in this, that there are starting to be too many boards being created. Im not talking about boards that will be constantly used but boards that are not required. Two new ones I see are "xbox and playstation". Im quite sure that those two topics are delt with under the generic "games" forum quite well. Maybe a seperate forum for games and consoles would have been a better choice?

Also, the "David Hasselhoff" forum, wtf like? I will never forgive him for his performance on Whos Line Is It Anyway.

Now, maybe some of these forums are part of the whole plan that you have for the expansion, im well for that. But its getting to a point where I dont know where to post something. I used to have that problem a year or two ago but now it seems even worse.

[Also, anyone remember the whole Boards redesign thing ... what the hell happened to that?]
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Is having seperate forums for xbox and playstation any different to having two seperate forums for windows and Linux?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Have to say i was for the Console forum seems valid and there is a lot of questions and news.etc......... but an Xbox and PS ?
    David Hasslehoff forum *chuckle* *chuckle*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Yes.

Windows and Unix differ totally to each other by questions asked, users expierance etc. Most visitors to the Unix forum would be more advanced users and would discuss more complicated items and not have to deal with basic questions such as "Why does my screen go blank?" or "How do i get rid of XXX virus?" and the many "Spyware" questions that the Windows forum gets. The Windows forum usually deals with basic Windows requests and answers aswell as software problems associated with windows.

Both forums are regularly active during the week and so do require seperate forums insted of being merged under one "OS" forum.

However, can you really see the xbox or playstation forums getting as much use during the week? Most discussion would be about games, which are suited to the games forum.

There have been sily forums created, but the fact of the matter is they are only silly in the opinion of some users. There are those out there that actualy want them.

As soon as they loose interest in them they can be deleted after a certain period of time.

I dont see a problem with there being separate forums for different types of consoles. If your going to merge these forums then you might want to consider merging the "operating systems" forums as well.

However, can you really see the xbox or playstation forums getting as much use during the week? Most discussion would be about games, which are suited to the games forum.

the forum was created today and alas i do not have the gift of prophesy, therefore i cannot answer this for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

I think it is just fabulous

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I think I just explaind above how silly an idea it would be to merge the three OS forums into 1.

Why should admins have to create a new forum for a fortnight to satisfy some noobs need? Or someone's crazy idea thats super kwel and mad. Forums didnt use to be given out so easily back in the day.

addtoast.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

as winters said, merging the os forms would be silly, which thankfully all our glorious admins i'm quite confident are aware of.

As for the xbox/ps forms tbh i don't see the need, with the ammount of posts/stickies they generated in the games forum it still couldn't be considered busy really or hetic...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

David Hasslehoff..the man who was the beginning of the end of boards.ie :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Winters wrote:
    I think, and I may not be alone in this, that there are starting to be too many boards being created.

I've been thinking the same for a while now. There's far too much 'watering-down' of the main forums and, in my opinion, it's killing off discussion. The 'Music' forums are a prime example. At the moment it's a discussion wasteland, whereas before... sure you'd have silly debates about "which is better Rap or Rock!!" etc, but it was a helluva lot more interesting than just having everyone agreeing with everyone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I looked for a Games->Handheld Forum before christmas and was told there was no need. Yet there is a **** load of DS/PSP traffic (wiht the offical launch of both still to come). The importing issues surrounding both has been discussed to death yet never stickified... Now we have an X-Box and PS thread with no charter's, no stickys and a couple of deadend threads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

There will indeed be a **** load of traffic. For a few months. Then nowt. Before now, boards weren't created for things that wouldn't last. I wonder why it is the powers that be have changed their policy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I'm with winters on this.

Really wasn't expecting a separate forum for xbox and playstation (no GC :( ). Firstly I think it could all be discussed under games or maybe make a sub forum for consoles and handhelds.

Hasselhoff, Frisbee and Chocolate forums :eek: come on....

On the other hand, Classic cars, Anime/Manga and open source are a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I don't see what the problem is with Ultimate Frisbee having a forum?

It's a growing sport and is a fantastic way to get/stay fit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

how about a SLAM forum? I used to love that game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

The amount of boards popping up is becoming a bit silly imo.
    I think it only dilutes other boards. What is the point of a sports board now considering most sports have their own board now despite some of them being almost derelict.
    Maybe it's time to scrap the boards that get minimal use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

dudes.. boards is growing all the time

let's think ahead, ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Sport! I need to check the drop down list to see if it was under the category of sport and not hosted. I presumed the forum was asked for as a piss take. It can't really be classed as a sport, can it? If it is then can I have a forum for a sport called Catch or Fetch.

Makaveli wrote:
    Maybe it's time to scrap the boards that get minimal use.
    What? Like Greyhound racing?

I don't know why people don't object to new forum proposals in the "Forums" forum.

• Advertisement

Like any boards that have pretty much died.
    The Horror board comes to mind. Greyhound racing is new enough is it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Amz wrote:

I don't know why people don't object to new forum proposals in the "Forums" forum.

Didn't see any threads in Fourms about creating XBox or PS fourms...

It only has 8 posts since last August.

Rabies wrote:
    Sport! I need to check the drop down list to see if it was under the category of sport and not hosted. I presumed the forum was asked for as a piss take. It can't really be classed as a sport, can it? If it is then can I have a forum for a sport called Catch or Fetch.
    I think you need to educate yourself on modern sports before you go presuming things and making smart comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Makaveli wrote:
    Like any boards that have pretty much died.
    The Horror board comes to mind. Greyhound racing is new enough is it?

The Horror board still plays host to some absolutely excellent discussion. Just because it's not going a mile a minute, doesn't mean it's died.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Amz wrote:

I do.
    But noone listens to me.

The Horror board still plays host to some absolutely excellent discussion. Just because it's not going a mile a minute, doesn't mean it's died.

When? Every 6 months or so? The place used to go quite well but it gets minimal traffic, probably down to it's location on the drop down menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd be a big fan of the system they use on other boards, which is that all of games would be under one of two main forums, and then they would have tags, like PC, that you can turn on and off

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Perhaps a decent system of cross-posting would improve things.

However, in the case of something like the horror forum, what is it diluting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Winters wrote:
    The "David Hasselhoff" forum,]

Holy cow there is a Hasselhoff forum,im off top find.Thanks for pointing it out.

Advertisement