Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Numerous Boards

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Perhaps these new forums will work, perhaps they wont. If we take the naysayers approach, we'll never know.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

steveland? wrote:
    I'd have to agree with Sangre here. Me being quite a fan of a lot of music from the "punk era" I took a glance in the new Punk forum but legged it when I saw a topic entitled something like "Are the Stranglers punk?"

It's getting to a point where people don't know where to post things like that. Now, in my humble opinion, I can't STAND genre isolation. I can tolerate it to the point of "Rock/Metal", "Dance", "Jazz/Blues", "Rap/Hip-Hop", "Classical" as these are all fairly well defined musical styles. For instance I have no objection to posting a topic about, say, the Misfits in a different forum to a topic about, say, a Baroque.

But tbh, if I was posting the same post about the Misfits I'd just throw it into the Rock/Metal section. Now I know most people when they think of the Misfits would think "Oh man they're a punk band", but as far as I'm concerned Rock encompases the Punk style of music and I hate when people try to classify certain types of music into certain genres other than the more vague and all encompassing types such as rock/jazz/etc.

It's only a matter of time before you get serious muppet posts in that Punk forum like "Doood get outta here blinkk arnt reel punk!"

Imo the music section should be more generalised and not segregated into sections people have trouble defining.

[/rant]

When we wanted a punk forum before we were told there's no need... you can post in rock/metal. Look at all the posts in the punk forum... how many of them would have been posted in the Rock/Metal forum if the Punk forum hadn't been created? Probably none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

NotMe wrote:
    When we wanted a punk forum before we were told there's no need... you can post in rock/metal. Look at all the posts in the punk forum... how many of them would have been posted in the Rock/Metal forum if the Punk forum hadn't been created? Probably none.

Ok I take your point. I've even posted a few times in it. I have quite the interest in "punk" music BUT I hate it when people argue over what is and what isn't punk.

I'll be outta there the first time I read an "is this punk enough?" thread (aside from the Stranglers one which I'm not too pleased about and refuse to read)

I know there's no moderator atm (apart from Lucutus but I assume he's a category mod right?) but it's really only a matter of time before things start getting shifted out to Rock/Metal or whatever cos the mod that's chosen decides it's not "punk" enough.

It has the potential to work. It just needs good management and an open mind to other peoples opinions on what is and what isn't punk.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Is that you volunteering for the job? :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

all I ask is for you to give a Hoff a chance. i will admit that the Hasselhoff forum is as tongue in cheek as you can get but we are actually going to put a lot of effort into it.

some very funny plans afoot and every effort will be made to make sure it's more than a 1 joke stand-up pony.

as Dev said, it is very boards and at the end of the day, if you don't want to read it, don't read it......although, i have a feeling i and a lot of others will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

However, boards never came with a warning.

Once you have been pulled into it .. its impossible to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

karlh wrote:
    all I ask is for you to give a Hoff a chance. i will admit that the Hasselhoff forum is as tongue in cheek as you can get but we are actually going to put a lot of effort into it.

some very funny plans afoot and every effort will be made to make sure it's more than a 1 joke stand-up pony.

as Dev said, it is very boards and at the end of the day, if you don't want to read it, don't read it......although, i have a feeling i and a lot of others will.

"Very Boards" jokes in the past were spontaneous and hilarious. This just seems like forced kookyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

While I haven't read all the above crap I have voiced my opinions on the new games related forums here.

It'd have been nice if the Admins could have opened a discussion on this before unleashing it on us. There's more than just the five of you running boards and this is not the best way to keep moderators loyal. As boards gets bigger this method of restructuring will simply not work.

That said I've given the new forums charters and put up a sticky in the Games forum for those that don't frequent Feedback. I regard them as auxillery forums that people can post to if they want to but I will not actively move posts from the Games forum to these new forums.

Hmm it appears I have built up some anger in this post. WoW should help...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Just because a new branch of a forum gets a lot of posts doesnt mean its successful.
    It is quality not quantity.
    KH is right, these new boards are just a forum for saying how great something is without say why.

P.s intelligence: sangre > Karl

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I didn't realise we had a decided criteria for success.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

btw the new punk forum needs a mod. its starting to become spam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

ecksor wrote:
    I didn't realise we had a decided criteria for success.

Didn't you get my memo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I bet you lot would be happy with a Luddites forum. Can I be mod ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

btw the new punk forum needs a mod. its starting to become spam

On the whole so far it's been alright but there's one or two muppets alright

Case in point: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=226445

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

you can always click the "report bad post" button in the punk forum and Locutus can dela with it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Lucutus, not Locutus.

Lucutus of Burg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

ecksor wrote:
    Lucutus, not Locutus.

Lucutus of Burg.

It's Burgs not Burg. Just like Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I thought it was of bog?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Lucutus De'Burgh

Kill the trools!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, i have no problem with the creation of random forums, but i do think it is silly to have a forum with little traffic sitting there.

in fact, id be interested if we could get a list with all of the forums listed, and the amount of threads started and posts in the last 2 months, and the current active threads (posted to within the last 2 days)

usually, lets be honest here, new forums are suggested so that people can become mods. and thats something that does annoy me. because everyone wants to be a mod for some reason. perhaps it makes people feel more involved or important in the phenomena that is boards, i dont know, but id rather see more of the current mods added to new forums. anexcellent example being the stupid thread on the wrestling thread where a number of newbies appear to be fighting among themselves over who should be a new mod. but i think they have sorted it out, and decided they should all be mods. /me shrugs.

although, im still not sure what the point of having these 'root' mods are. seems pretty pointless to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

All hail Lucutus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

The biggest proponent FOR separate xbox/playstation boards seems to be billy the fish, a user who hasn't actually posted in the games forum since june 2003, and from their posting activities, doesn't even seem to own a console? So why exactly should their opinion matter?

Retrogamer wrote:
    most of the Games forum regulars are not happy about the split in the games forums. I'm one of them:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=225882

What he said.

The creation of separate forums isn't just Not Good, it's BAD. It segregates the gaming community and means i have to spend extra time scanning the pointless new boards now instead of it all being right there in front of me on the games board. Like, i don't even own an xbox, but i'm still interested to see some of the new and interesting things happening on the xbox scene. but i certainly wouldn't be buttocked to go trawl through all the fanboyism of an entirely xbox forum for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

blah blah blah

The forums are there now, build a bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Balfa

The fact that you would make up a parody of my name shows a lack of respect which detracts from your viewpoint to a great extent.

I made three posts defending the idea that these split games forum should be given a chance. They werent even a day old when winters made this thread.

my fourth post was answering a question about a problem that arose in one of the new music forums which a user asked.

There are more posts than the number that i posted from the admins of this site also defending the idea. They own the place.

some more proponents to the new set up are the ones posting in the new forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Balfa wrote:
    The biggest proponent FOR separate xbox/playstation boards seems to be billy the fish, , doesn't even seem to own a console? So why exactly should their opinion matter?
    Balfa wrote:

Like, i don't even own an xbox, but i'm still interested to see some of the new and interesting things happening on the xbox scene.

ummmmmm?
    am i missing the point here, or are you?
    Balfa wrote:
    but i certainly wouldn't be buttocked to go trawl through all the fanboyism of an entirely xbox forum for it.

then why dont you read information from an x-box site?
    boards.ie is not the be all and end all of the internet. there are other sites out there you know.
    this is a place of discussion, debate and opinions. if you dont like the opinions in a forum, er, dont read them.
    you think peoples opinions would change if the games forum was reunified with some console forums?
    why would you think that?

you are complaining for the sake of complaining. and in your own words....
    Balfa wrote:
    So why exactly should their opinion matter?

be very careful about what you say.

The biggest proponent FOR separate xbox/playstation boards seems to be billy the fish, a user who hasn't actually posted in the games forum since june 2003, and from their posting activities, doesn't even seem to own a console? So why exactly should their opinion matter?

Er, no. The biggest proponent FOR separate xbox/ps2 forums was me. I didnt even read BTF support for the forums and considering that I hardly know him from Adam, it wouldnt have greatly affected my decision. There was a request (by Amp) for a console modding forum and I decided to widen the brief. Amusing that now he's angry about something he effectively kicked off! :)

This year there is going to be new versions (PS3 and Xbox2). Both with internet connectivity built in. I am interested in building a space for those communities to grow.

Let me tell you this too, in time I intend for the generic forums in categorys to become effectively "Misc" forums. ie: Sports, Games, Computers etc. The sub-divisions will take over and those will become "This doesnt fit anywhere else" forums.

DeV.

Addendum: I've just reviewed both boards and they seem perfectly well on track with almost every thread being specfic to the console in question.

Not only that but people talking about "boycotts" etc really REALLY p|ss me off and make me FAR FAR more likely to stubbornly do exactly what I please. If I had a penny for every time I have heard this whinge since Boards was created I'd have 9,735 pennies. Its never been right, its never been logical and its never been followed. At this stage I trust my judgement which I have the good sense to allow to be influenced by the discussions here. In this case its debateable and there are proponents of each point of view. I have decided to give this a shot and the more I hear of "strong arm" tactics to have it changed and the more I see the board actually *working* just fine, the more I'm inclined to begin a few peoples "boycotts" of ALL the forums early on.
    Most people who have been here for any length of time know you can argue with me at your leisure and threaten me at your peril. :)
    This doesnt refer to anything specifically on this thread but a few PM's I've been forwarded.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

DeVore wrote:
    Most people who have been here for any length of time know you can argue with me at your leisure and threaten me at your peril. :)
    DeV.

Anyone'd think you owned the place or something. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Nothing. NOTHING will ever equal my mirth when someone on Motors told Ecksor to mind his own business. I think a little pee came out.

DeV.

Advertisement