Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What bike do you have

Options
  • 13-02-2005 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

I'm on a 125 dragstar and I'm thinking of upgrading to something with more power, just wanted to start a thread to let people show off their machines so maybe i could get some ideas. post your pics if you have any.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Yamaha R6, upgrading to an R1 soon. Also have a TZR on order, just as a run about. No pics unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Phryxus

ever have any problems with the r6? I've never really heard anyone with bad to say about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Used to have an NSR 125... great run around and just enough poke to keep you going on the open road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Phryxus wrote:
    ever have any problems with the r6? I've never really heard anyone with bad to say about them.

The R6 is a great bike, I rode my friends R1 a while ago and was just in awe of its power, thats the only reason I'm changing, I'm still going to keep the R6 though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I have a Dukar 125cc scouter,I am trying to sell it now as I also want to upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I was thinking of getting a 125 dragstar,what are they like...?How much are they...?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Honda XL125V
    prd_bike_black.gif
    If you're looking to keep your costs down, it's a 125 with a bit of poke. Suits me anyway (until I get a full licence :))

I picked up mine second hand for 3000, I really like it, if you're going for the cruiser type it's far more comfortable that an intruder, forget about a marauder and a shadow 125 is insurance group 3 so it's a pretty good bet. but If you're moving from a 125 scooter then maybe consider the 250 dragstar

What's the top speed on that seamus?

Phryxus wrote:
    I picked up mine second hand for 3000, I really like it, if you're going for the cruiser type it's far more comfortable that an intruder, forget about a marauder and a shadow 125 is insurance group 3 so it's a pretty good bet. but If you're moving from a 125 scooter then maybe consider the 250 dragstar

What's the top speed on that seamus?
    70-75. After that you're in the red.

[Edit, sorry 110-120km/h :p

Yeah the dragstar is about the same but I think your acceleration is better. Could be wrong though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Used to have a drag star, now I've got a Royal Star Venture Millennium Edition. Only one in Ireland I'm quite happy to say :D Pity I have to sell it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

virago 125
    cant sell it at all,
    ive given up trying at this point
    saving up to get a bros 400, beautiful bike imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

A bandit 250, pictured here looking ratty and minus some plastics as i'd had it apart to replace my ignition leads.
    b250.jpg
    Note cable ties holding vital components on, I now have all the bits i need to repair the broken stuff, all i need is a weekend off and a garage to work in as this is my current "workshop" :(
    blurry_right.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Got an NSR125..

honda-nsr125-03-bikepics-204250.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'll post some pic's of my 1978 Kawasaki Z400(B) when I get it back from being repaired.

It's my pride and joy and with only 35PS it can do 100mph without a push.

I prefer the nsr 125's in the black and white, nice bike though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Phryxus wrote:
    I'm on a 125 dragstar and I'm thinking of upgrading to something with more power, just wanted to start a thread to let people show off their machines so maybe i could get some ideas. post your pics if you have any.
    Brilliant big/little bike the Dragstar i was close to buying one last year but could'nt afford the insurance. I hope to get one within the next year or maybe a factory restricted NSR 125.

For the moment I'm stuck as a third class motorcyclist on my little 50cc Derbi Atlantis, speaking of which dose anyone want to buy it? :D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=225399

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Harley Dyna Super Glide, what a comfort. Just a tad noisy :D

I've been considering going for a dragstar classic 650, if I did get one I'd get a big set of noisy pipes, the louder the better imho, aside from liking the sound, the more people can hear you on the road the less chance you'll get driven into by some blind f***er in a micra. Course I dunno how practical the 650 would be for filtering. If it's not too much wider than my 125 (it had the bars bent way out) then it should be ok.

Phryxus wrote:
    I've been considering going for a dragstar classic 650, if I did get one I'd get a big set of noisy pipes, the louder the better imho, aside from liking the sound, the more people can hear you on the road the less chance you'll get driven into by some blind f***er in a micra. Course I dunno how practical the 650 would be for filtering. If it's not too much wider than my 125 (it had the bars bent way out) then it should be ok.

Here's a little known fact for everyone that wants to put big pipes on their bikes:

Nice big pipes = no blow back

No blow back = burnt pipes and hole in your cylinders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I'm currently bikeless at the moment (sold my CB500) and am looking at getting a BMW F650, always liked beemers

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Phryxus wrote:

I have a 125 virago with the loud 'custom' pipes and i hate them. Good when i got them but now so loud. A neighbour even complained (Anonymously) about the noise in the mornings (all 5 seconds as i go to work). F8ck em i say. But still loud. Hoping to get a new bike in the next month or so, bandit 600 or something along the lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭test999

Why did your neighbour complain anon? Is he afraid of you or something?

test999 wrote:

Well im guessing its a neighbour. It was posted to my house, so have no idea who it is.

test999 wrote:
    Well, perhaps he doesn't like to rock the boat. Particularly in new Ireland, I've noticed that neighbours in a relatively young estate don't make as much of an effort to get to know eachother as they used to. On top of that, if you're in anything but a Detached home, and you piss off your neighbour, they can make your life hell.

seamus wrote:
    Well, perhaps he doesn't like to rock the boat. Particularly in new Ireland, I've noticed that neighbours in a relatively young estate don't make as much of an effort to get to know eachother as they used to. On top of that, if you're in anything but a Detached home, and you piss off your neighbour, they can make your life hell.

Dont thinks it that. Family been living in estate for 25 years. Pretty much the same neighbours and there all very nice. Never complained about me playing the drums. I have the bike nearly a year and they only complained about 2 weeks ago. Thats the strange part to me. I have looked into quietening them but nothing out there except nearly 1000 for new pipes. Nuts to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Here's a little known fact for everyone that wants to put big pipes on their bikes:

This is true for incorrectly chosen pipes and for people who dont get their jetting changed to take the new setup into account, not true as a sweeping statement about all bikes.

echomadman wrote:
    This is true for incorrectly chosen pipes and for people who dont get their jetting changed to take the new setup into account, not true as a sweeping statement about all bikes.

Do you really think that 21 year old Joe Smith with his Yamaha VX125 really has a clue about jetting ??

9 times out of 10 the guy in the bike shop will just fob them off saying that it won't effect your engine at all just to make the sale.

I've seen it quite a bit with noob bikers getting shafted and then having to buy new pistons and pipes.

Do you really think that 21 year old Joe Smith with his Yamaha VX125 really has a clue about jetting ??

9 times out of 10 the guy in the bike shop will just fob them off saying that it won't effect your engine at all just to make the sale.

I've seen it quite a bit with noob bikers getting shafted and then having to buy new pistons and pipes.

Your right there (in my case). Liked the bike. Haggled the price then bought. I just hope its not an issue if im going for a trade in. Ive not had any problem with the exhausts or engine so far (touch wood). Do you think it could be an issue when trading in?

• Advertisement

If that was universally true then why would big pipes even be in production?

Advertisement