Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Dance Dead...?

• 13-02-2005 1:11pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With most if not all the nightclubs now playing R&B and pop etc do you think Dance music is dead...?I remember when it was HUGE,I was at the Dance Nation back in the mid 90s I think that was just before it exploded.But now nothing seems to be happening

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭spyro_2001ie

Dance music certainly aint dead, its just not popular at the moment. Plenty of cubs still play dance music. Wax, Crawdaddy, The Belvedere, Metropolitan. You get the odd Dance gig in TBMC too. As for the actual music i think its stronger than ever with such artists as Vitalic and the like coming out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

nothing happening? hhaha priceless.

there plenty happening, theres "dance" music nights on every night of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

Dub13 wrote:
    But now nothing seems to be happening

That's the most misinformed statement I've read on boards in a while. Just look around a bit and you'll find "dance" music everywhere. Just because it isn't on MTV or 2FM all day doesn't mean it's "dead".

It's so diverse, there are buzzing scenes in so many sub-genres. Grime is one that could almost go mainstream in 2005 with M.I.A. and Dizzee Rascal, etc.

Vitalic as spyro said (Aphex Twin's favourite artist of 2004 I think), the Hacker, Soulwax, Mylo, etc. are all making exciting new music. Daft Punk are coming back in 2005 too.

And then there's deep and funky house and so many other types of "dance" music that I know jacksh i t about, but I hear people going on about them the whole time, so I'm sure good things are happening there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

its just not popular at the moment

Thank Christ, too. The day I have to share a dancefloor with the shirt 'n' shoes brigade is the day I give up clubbing. See Spirit to see what I mean. There are plenty of more underground clubs in Dublin, that's where the real atmosphere is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

the money and popularity have gone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

chewy wrote:
    the money and popularity have gone?

Its much better. In clubs now a days you have people who want to be there and usually know there music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Sico wrote:
    Thank Christ, too. The day I have to share a dancefloor with the shirt 'n' shoes brigade is the day I give up clubbing. See Spirit to see what I mean. There are plenty of more underground clubs in Dublin, that's where the real atmosphere is.

Bang on Sico couldn't have said it better myself!!! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

plazzTT wrote:
    That's the most misinformed statement I've read on boards in a while. Just look around a bit and you'll find "dance" music everywhere. Just because it isn't on MTV or 2FM all day doesn't mean it's "dead".

Look when I said nothing is happing i did not mean nothing at all,I am well aware of a few club nights around the city.But I was comparing now with say 5/10 years ago when dance was huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭*Sassy*

Sico wrote:
    There are plenty of more underground clubs in Dublin, that's where the real atmosphere is.

Hope you all don't mind me popping in here. Just wondering which ones you're referring to here, like what would be your top three at the moment for example? And what kind of music do they play exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭skkatter

Dub13 wrote:
    Look when I said nothing is happing i did not mean nothing at all,I am well aware of a few club nights around the city.But I was comparing now with say 5/10 years ago when dance was huge.
    I've been going to nightclubs since about 1997, in my opinion there are currently more clubs with good music than 5/8 years ago. (maybe I missed out on some crazy clubbing from 1995-97 though)

Clubs that I think are good:

Electric City, Thursdays at the Metropolitan (techno, electro, house)
    Bassbin, Saturdays at the Metropolitan (jungle, drum and bass)
    Food, soon to start every second Saturday at the Metropolitan (breaks, electro)

D1, Fridays downstairs in Traffic (Detroit influenced techno and house)
    Nylon, Sunday in Traffic (mix of hip-hop, breaks, party music type stuff)

Backlash, Thursdays at Wax (electroclash, house, good pop music)
    Bodytonic, Fridays at Wax (house)

12ten, Saturday in the Legal Eagle (house)
    Pogo, Saturdays at the Pod (house, electro in one room, lots of different styles in other room)

Bodkins on Capel Street have various different clubs on Fridays and Saturdays, this Friday it's J25 (electro, electronica), this Saturday it's Test (dubby German techno and weird house stuff, me and a mate are playing at this)

The Belvedere on Denmark St often have techno nights on Fridays and Saturdays.

The Advent just played at the Temple Bar Music Centre last Saturday, Technologic ran the gig, they do a lot of techno gigs in the TBMC.

Jeff Mills is playing in the Red Box this Friday (I don't like the Red Box myself, but a lot of people do)

Loose Electrix run some once offs in The Shelter, they had Debasser there a few weeks ago. Decal is playing in Crawdaddy in March along with Americhord.

Vitalic is playing at Electric City in the Metropolitan on the 10th of March.

So, dance is dead yeah? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭spyro_2001ie

SHHHHHH....don't go telling everyone i wanna be able to get in to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I'm there! ;) Missed them last time not gonna miss them this time...

Advertisement