Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Okay lads help me spend €7k on a second hand car

Options
  • 13-02-2005 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

I need a car by the summer time (ie end of may) itll be my first car but i want something nice, ive decided 7k is as much as i want to spend on the car as its only for occasional use ie not to work etc.

My requirements are:
    a) insurable
    b) not a micra, polo or anything of that size

Im currently looking at a few 1.6;ltr 2000 Alfa 156s for around 7k, a few 3dr focus and golfs and maybe some seat leons

anyone got any better ideas? im open to anything, also if anyone has bought a car lately and you are in my position:
    24, full licence since i was 18, named driver on mums insurance since then

what kind of insurance am i looking at on say a 1.6ltr car?

All help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Just ring quinn direct and get a quote off them on a 1.6 golf/focus... As a first car i'd stay away from the alfa unless ur decent with a toolbox... If it was me i'd take the alfa hands down but as a recomendation i'd gor for the golf r focus..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

With several years named driver experience, you should get a decent quote from AXA direct. However I'm not sure if they take males under 25, you'll have to check. If they do, I'd say you might be looking at 1000-1200 euros for TPFT on a 1.6 litre Focus or Golf. Maybe a bit more for an Alfa 156 1.6. Ring them up and check for yourself.

You say you only need the car for occasional use and don't need it to get to work. Sounds like the car is more of a luxury/hobby thing. In that case, go for the Alfa :D But do your homework before buying, look at plenty of cars, educate yourself on what to look for and if your not mechanically inclined then bring along a friend who is.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

BrianD3 wrote:
    With several years named driver experience, you should get a decent quote from AXA direct. However I'm not sure if they take males under 25, you'll have to check. If they do, I'd say you might be looking at 1000-1200 euros for TPFT on a 1.6 litre Focus or Golf. Maybe a bit more for an Alfa 156 1.6. Ring them up and check for yourself.

You say you only need the car for occasional use and don't need it to get to work. Sounds like the car is more of a luxury/hobby thing. In that case, go for the Alfa :D But do your homework before buying, look at plenty of cars, educate yourself on what to look for and if your not mechanically inclined then bring along a friend who is.

BrianD3

i seriously doubt insurance will be less than 2 grand on a 1.6, maybe 1900euro on a 1 litre job bout 2400 on a 1.6.

Im 24, 4 years experience and 3 years discount as a named driver... I'm paying €1300 with quinn direct on a 1.4... Don't know where ur getting ur quotes from lomb..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭arkles

for €7000 you will prolly get a 01 almera, or 00-01 primera (nissan) if you want reliability i would recommend one of the above

• Advertisement

lomb wrote:
    bout 2400 on a 1.6.
    But when you consider that AXA gives a NCD of up to 60% for named driving experience (10% per year, 6 years max) that 2400 is going to be seriously reduced.

BrianD3

unklerosco wrote:
    Im 24, 4 years experience and 3 years discount as a named driver... I'm paying €1300 with quinn direct on a 1.4... Don't know where ur getting ur quotes from lomb..

the no claims discount does seriously reduce not only the premium but also the number of insurance companies willing to quote and this drives down the price big time. hell a few years ago they wouldnt even quote me and now at 28 this are quoting me 1700 on a 4.4liter bmw simply because i have 3 years discount. its not just the discount that plays here but the 3 years NCB means 4 insurance companies are quoting which means the lowest quotes are very reasonable.

BrianD3 wrote:
    But when you consider that AXA gives a NCD of up to 60% for named driving experience (10% per year, 6 years max) that 2400 is going to be seriously reduced.

BrianD3

axa are one of the dearest companies consistantly. id be very interested in what quote they give inc the named driving experiance. axa are not fools and will price it according to what the market is charging and there claims experiance.
    also i would be very reluctant to insure with axa due to them not offering to protect ur NCB which is CRITICAL. if u have an unblemished driving record and then have a claim for 20 grand against u u become virtually uninsurable-speaking from experiance :rolleyes:

4.4!!! Take it u've an X5?? Man, forget about the insurance, whats the road tax on that??? Then u've to fill the thing....

unklerosco wrote:
    4.4!!! Take it u've an X5?? Man, forget about the insurance, whats the road tax on that??? Then u've to fill the thing....

no x5 im not a footballers wife :D
    am very interested in a 98/99 740i. absolutely top notch car for 10 or so grand. road tax would be 1350. fuel consumption not too bad at 20mpg.depreciation is very little, this is the main thing. am only considering it, maybe in a few years il pick one up. im still a bit young for a 7 series :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

They r sweet cars, waithing till i hit 25, wann get the old 6 series with my dad r a classic porsche 911... less than 8 months to go ;-) anyways, this is taking away from cyrus's thread....

axa are one of the dearest companies consistantly. id be very interested in what quote they give inc the named driving experiance. axa are not fools and will price it according to what the market is charging
    No. It just so happens that AXA offer good deals to lads in their mid twenties who have several years named driver experience (and can prove this with a letter from the company they were a named driver with) The quotes I got from AXA when I was 25 were *way* cheaper than those from hibernian, quinn direct and others. Some companies would not even quote me at all as I needed to be 27.
    also i would be very reluctant to insure with axa due to them not offering to protect ur NCB which is CRITICAL. if u have an unblemished driving record and then have a claim for 20 grand against u u become virtually uninsurable-speaking from experiance
    AXA do offer no claims protection. For a fee of around 100 euros in my case. I have max 70% NCB now so feel its worth it. If I have one claim, in theory my premium should not go up at all once I stay with AXA. If I try to leave and get insured somewhere else, the fact that I have made a claim with my previous insurer will have a big effect on my premium and they may not even quote me at all. So basically no claims protection is worthwhile if you plan to stay with your current insurer, however if you have a claim and wish to change insurers then you're screwed, with or without no claims protection.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

AXA seem to be the cheapest around. As long as your not from Louth. They don't quote people from Louth. Which I think is both sad and amusing at the same time.

Oh and i got a 1.8 156 this time last year as my first car. I'm dead happy with it. If you are thinking of buying one try to hold out for one with the skirts (they just look far nicer) and then some will have the spoiler which is also nice I think. Also, look out for A/C - for €4k-€5k you can have yourself a really nice luxurious car. If you stick a nice set of alloys on them it can transform the look of the car as well. However, most insurance companies deem it to be a sports car so insurance goes through the roof. ARB quoted me €2,400 (22, M, 0yrs NCB, 5yrs Named)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

cheers for the help sofar any suggestion on diff types of cars?

re insurance really looking to keep it below 1500!!

oh and no nissans :D

Cyrus wrote:
    cheers for the help sofar any suggestion on diff types of cars?

re insurance really looking to keep it below 1500!!

good luck! get a couple of quotes tomorrow and let us know what axa quote out of interest. id almost bet money it will be closer to 2400 than 1500 though on a 1.6

edit: im wrong ive tried your details on insure.ie and a 97 1.6 golf third party/theft is 1277 from hibernian. other quotes are 2 grand and 2400euro.
    good to c insurance coming down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Forget about 1.6 stick to 1.4 and don't make rich insurance companies any richer especially since it is only for casual driving.

Cann't go much wrong with a Focus. wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

bazz26 wrote:
    Cann't go much wrong with a Focus.

Cough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

i'd be surprised if you couldn't get insurance for under a grand. i'm paying 1100 fully comp on a 1.4 almera. took out the policy while i was 21 with 4 years named driving experience. i'll have a full licence 3 years in march. had to do the ignition course but it's a piece of piss. i'd recommend giving one direct a call. they're underwritten by hibernian but they quoted me over 500 quid cheaper then hibernian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I'm in pretty much the exact same situation as the original poster, only that I do have a car (on which I am a named driver - have been for over 2 years now,Axa).

At the moment I'm considering waiting until I'm 25 before I buy a car, and go in alone. Will the age affect my insurance a lot? Is there much of a difference between 24 and 25?

I'm looking at Honda Civic saloon 1.4, Corolla 1.4 2dr. Narrowed it down to those two...

got any pics of a two door corolla? and how much would you expect to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I guess I meant 3-door. Would expect to pay around €7000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

Cyrus wrote:
    oh and no nissans :D

Whats wrong with Nissans?

I only ask coz i'm about to buy a 04 primera.....

Bad idea?

i just dont like em, feel to cheap and nasty, just me tho

Advertisement