Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request to be a Moderator on Sailing forum

Options
  • 13-02-2005 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

I recently found a board about Sailing here. I'm a very keen sailer and I am very interested in talking about it. I saw that there's no current moderator on that board and I would love to apply for the position. I have broadband so I could come on very often to check it out. I also think I'd be able to handle the responsibility as I am a moderator on another forum using the same forum software.

Wez
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

lol :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You forgot to do the Amp Test!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The board isn't exactly over run with posts (102 posts). Does it need a Mod?
    Why do you want to be a mod? Having BB doesn't matter at all.
    If the sailing forum needed a mod it would have been delegated one at some stage.

Send your CV to an Admin along with a few notes and sure they could make you a mod of something. Choco forum maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

is there a gathering card for this?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

is there a gathering card for this?
    No, and I apologise profusely :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

[picard]make it so![/picard]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Well the thing is, I've got alot of friends that are into boats. I'm planning on recommending them to come and post there, so I'm just trying to get in on the ground floor before it gets a bit bigger. I think it'd be kinda fair that if I started recommending people to go there that it would be fair enough to give me a modorator position. Of course I'm not saying that if I don't get it I'm not gonna recommend people, but I just think it'd be a fair trade. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

That's a new one ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Wez wrote:
    Well the thing is, I've got alot of friends that are into boats. I'm planning on recommending them to come and post there, so I'm just trying to get in on the ground floor before it gets a bit bigger. I think it'd be kinda fair that if I started recommending people to go there that it would be fair enough to give me a modorator position. Of course I'm not saying that if I don't get it I'm not gonna recommend people, but I just think it'd be a fair trade. :)

Just some friendly advice :)
    If you put the effort into building up the forum and prove to be an asset in the sailing forum then the admins may see fit to give you the job in the future. I have never to date seen anyone who asked for mod actually get it. So it would appear to be up to you to put the effort in first and maybe an admin will notice you someday.
    Good Luck

Red

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I nominate the Sea Captain..

"Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Wez, If I was you, I would not ask to become a mod here, take Redshifts advice and wait to see how the forum pans out. There are a few mods on boards.ie already that think they are God and would only love the oppurtunity to take the piss out of you for wanting to help out.

Now in saying that there are plenty off "good guy mods" here also, but like everything in life you will always have a minority that think they are above everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I've sailed from Dublin to cork, and then on to the algarve. I think I should be mod. I have BB and Skillzorsssssss

John

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i was on a boat once.....unfortunately i only have dial up!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

[picard]make it so![/picard]
    Yes cap'n

Wannabe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Lump wrote:
    I've sailed from Dublin to cork, and then on to the algarve. I think I should be mod. I have BB and Skillzorsssssss

John

Haha I nominate John as sea captain of the boards seas and master comedian

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Wez wrote:
    I think it'd be kinda fair that if I started recommending people to go there that it would be fair enough to give me a modorator position. Of course I'm not saying that if I don't get it I'm not gonna recommend people, but I just think it'd be a fair trade. :)

Thats a mighty strong argument and very generous may I add , I can't see how the admins can refuse .

I second Wez for Moderator.

After all everbody loves a Sailor.

canibemod.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

cic712b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Can I be mod

Puss-in-Boots_01.jpg

Nice one az, I've made a slight alteration to the card now :)

• Advertisement

Amz wrote:
    cic712b.jpg

Haha sorry Lump(john) but Amz gets comedian in my book,but you can still be Captain.

What did I say that was funny? I was confused when I read the first post commenting on it, but decided not to say anything. I was being dead serious. I do have skillzors

John

Lump wrote:
    What did I say that was funny? I was confused when I read the first post commenting on it, but decided not to say anything. I was being dead serious. I do have skillzors

John

Ok i believe you.You dark horse you.

You Racist

John

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

skillzors arn't enough. you need skailorz-skilzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I just hope none of you are employers! someone comes into you asking for a job and you slag them because they asked to work there? I don't get the big deal really. I asked to be a mod, for a good reason, and you start a slagging competition? So mature! If someone came on and said 'alright, there's no need for a mod right now, so do your magic and we'll make you mod if we see fit that you should be'. it would have been grand! Except you start slagging me because I told you what I have e.g. broadband and you think it's funny to start jeering! I sent a pm to a mod and asked him who to apply to and he gave me a link to post my question here. So I did, I thougt this was the right place to go since a mod direrected me, but oviously it's not. And in fairness, you can't really blame me for requesting it if I was gonna try and bump up the visitors.. At this rate I don't really care if I'm not mod, because some of you guys seem like 5 year olds, WHO POST THINGS HERE THAT ARE TOTALLY IRRELEVANT! This is what moderation is about, that you've to make sure nobody comes on and starts bullying or slaggign and they post the relevant comments in the right place. You know that function the way you can move a thread? That's what it's about! and don't even waste your time coming on and saying 'we're mods, we know what to do' cause I'm a mod on two other forums, so ha! Just to let you know, I have noticed that some of the mods here are real sound, and I don't wanna tar you all with the same brush, but these guys really bring you down a few notches.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Wez,
    You don't get paid to be a mod, you do it because you like boards.ie and want to help out, so you can't really compare it to a job in that sense.

The admins will generally appoint people that seem involved in the community and are active on the boards, and they know to be sound (and not muppety).
    Start posting in the board, help people out, be active, and they might make you mod. They don't really appoint people they're never heard of that come in and say "make me mod" because they don't really know you or whether you'll just take the piss or actually take it seriously.

So in short, just be active on the board and see how it goes, coming in and right off the bat asking to be a moderator isn't really the way to go about things. If they think you're suitable once you've been around a while, they might consider it, but you're new so give it time, eh?

I personally, and I can't vouch for anyone else in this situation, am 5 years old.

John

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Wez wrote:
    I sent a pm to a mod and asked him who to apply to and he gave me a link to post my question here. So I did, I thougt this was the right place to go since a mod direrected me.

yes it is the right place
    but you made the little mistake of asking to be a Mod instead of asking for 'someone' to Mod the forum in question.
    As Koneko said, Admins normally only give Mod positions to posters they know.

I can also just vouch for the fact that Lump is indeed a 5 years old and that I have the mental age of one, does that count?

• Advertisement

I love you tooooooooo

Huggzzzzzzz

John

(I think I should be banned for the huggzzz comment, but don't it was done in jest)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement