Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow Dog Linux V.4

Options
  • 13-02-2005 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I'm currently downloading Yellow Dog v4 as suggested by a mate because I mentioned that I'd like to start using Non-MS software.

Does anyone have any expierience with this OS ?? and bear in mind that I'm a complete novice with Linux.

What's the best place to start once I have it installed ??

Any help would be appriciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

you do realise yellow dog is for powerpc (used in apple) computers ?

go to the unix forum, there's a thread about what distribution a beginner should choose ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

parasite wrote:
    you do realise yellow dog is for powerpc (used in apple) computers ?

go to the unix forum, there's a thread about what distribution a beginner should choose ...

Yep, have an old Power PC i'm going to run it on. I thought it would run on an IBM compatible aswell but you've cleared that one up for me.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

SuSE is probably the most user friendly version of Linux there is (There really closing the gap on M$ windows in the user friendly department), it’s also got excellent hardware support.
    Hope this helps.

jessy wrote:
    SuSE is probably the most user friendly version of Linux there is (There really closing the gap on M$ windows), it’s also got excellent hardware support.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks Jessy,

I've been testing various "live" versions of Linux over the past few days and have yet to find one i really like. Is there a live version of SuSe ??

yes you can get it from there website.

• Advertisement

jessy wrote:
    yes you can get it from there website.

Now I'm going to be really cheeky and ask for a link :D

Here the link
    http://www.novell.com/products/linuxprofessional/downloads/ftp/live_eval_int.html

Google is very handy for finding stuff like this ;)

jessy wrote:
    Here the link
    http://www.novell.com/products/linuxprofessional/downloads/ftp/live_eval_int.html

Ooooooh saucer of milk at table 2 !!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ishnid

jessy wrote:
    Here the link
    Wow - that's the most polite STFW I've ever heard! ;)

I've heard Mandrake and Xandros recommended as good user-friendly distros too. I think they have live CDs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Mandrake is good. I'm running it on my machine with WinXP but not much since I'm having trouble installing Zyxel Prestige 630-11 on it (no internet!).

Download Links:
    http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/official/iso/10.1/i586/
    http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3

I've only briefly used SuSe Pro 9.0 but it does seem like the dogs' dangly bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you're on PPC, go for YDL

Its got the least steep learning curve over MacOS, as it was designed for people who used Classic (the mouse has one button for a reason...)

However, you do need the latest updates or 4.0 is basically unusable. I'm on 4.01 on a G4 iBook ATM, everything but the wireless card is supported, including the sleep mode and CPU speed scaling.

Advertisement