Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised floor boards

Options
  • 13-02-2005 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I have 2 raised floor boards on the first floor of our house. The first floor joists run from front to back in the house so the floor boards run side to side. The first raised board is in line with the top step of the stairs and the 2nd one is in line with the box in the front box bedroom. Is this coincidence?

They’re both under carpet so I haven’t taken a look. Both have been like this for quite a long time so I never really bothered me but starting to now. Once the floor board ends, it doesn’t continue with the next board, so it’s not a problem running the width of the house.

Would they possibly be just warped boards? Just thought it was strange that both of them were in line with the places I describe they are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Lex,

The first thing that comes to mind is the boards are raised in line with the opening for the stairwell.

They might be raised because they are sitting on top of joist hangers, it only takes a couple of mm to make a small bumb where the boards join.

Be careful if you are thinking of screwing them down, I did come across two cases where pipes had the boards raised, in each case the owner screwed straight into the pipe.

If the bumps are small I would consider running an electric plane over them, just watch out for the nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Pete,

I don't want to screw them down, just basically figure out what is causing the problem, maybe lift the board, shave a few mm off, and put back in. It doesn't have to be pretty since they will always be covered by carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

AHaaaaaa,

Curiosity !!! can be very dangerous thing :)

I think you will find joist hangers under the boards, if they are not creaking, I think I would try the plane first, but then I do tend to be a bit lazy in my own house :)

Best of luck with them.

Advertisement