Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In-Car DVD players

Options
  • 13-02-2005 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to post but saw no area for in car entertainment.

Has anybody bought/seen the in-car DVD player with dual 5” screens from Argos by Venturer?

We’re looking at getting a system like this for the car to keep the kids occupied for long journeys and at €290, it seems like good value. Are 5” screens big enough for one rear passenger each?

I’ve seen another system in Curry’s that is about €60 more expensive, again a Venturer (Model PVS1960). This one has twin 6.2” screens and the added extra of a games console pad with 25 games programmed on it, that allows one screen to play games while the other watches DVD, or plug a PS2 into the A/V socket.

I’m thinking for the extra €60 to opt for the one in Curry’s?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭tigerwex

i have one of the ones from argos just be cearful only to have it in the back of the car coz i had it in the front of the car one day and some busy body reported me to the gaurds on the new traffic watch number the gaurds called to my house and warned me and siad they could prosicute me if they caught me with it in the car at all again and we do live in a free country i think if anyone knows the leagality id love to find out but anyway the one i have is good only i cant use it for fear of being charged lol

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

tigerwex wrote:
    i have one of the ones from argos just be cearful only to have it in the back of the car coz i had it in the front of the car one day and some busy body reported me to the gaurds on the new traffic watch number the gaurds called to my house and warned me and siad they could prosicute me if they caught me with it in the car at all again and we do live in a free country i think if anyone knows the leagality id love to find out but anyway the one i have is good only i cant use it for fear of being charged lol

I think the guards are more worried bout you using while driving, there are people who would.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

tigerwex
    There is some law that doesn't allow a screen/tuner etc in the FRONT of the car as it interferes with the driving of the vehicle. Some bloke had a PS2 screen in the dashbaord a while back and got done for it by the cops and was ordered by the judge to remove it.

Lex
    I was also looking at the Argos one with the twin 5in screens until I saw an add for the Venturer with the 6.2in screens in Dixons/Currys in a UK paper.
    The 5in screens are too small!
    The UK price was 219.99 Sterling (about 320 Euro) 40 Euro cheaper then Dixons/Currys down here!
    So went up on Friday and bought one.
    There's a Currys Superstore in Springfield on the M1 to Belfast, past Newry.
    About 1 hour from Airport (Motorway until Dundalk and Dual carraigeway in NI.
    There's a Sainsburys and B&Q in the same retail park. Other side of the road has PC World, M&S and a couple of others.
    It's brilliant, plays CD'S, CDR'S, DVDR'S and has the games console attached to it (haven't tried it yet).
    IT'S NOT region FREE though, it will only play Region 2 or Region 0.
    Not sure if there is a code to make it Region Free but not that bothered if it doesn't. Watched a film in it at the weekend and it played brilliantly.
    It has 3 earphone sockets (1 in each screen and a third one in the console itself). Each screen has a seperate volume control and fitting it is very easy.
    It has a remote which you just point at either screen and you change anything on it.
    Would recommend it.
    For the extra 30 odd Euro, get the 6.2in screens, you won't regret it.
    Just for info, it will only play in the car unless you get a power source for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

tigerwex wrote:

I wonder how many houses the guards called to to stop people using mobile phones without hands free kits ? A far more common and dangerous practice I would have thought.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

okidoki987 wrote:
    tigerwex
    There is some law that doesn't allow a screen/tuner etc in the FRONT of the car as it interferes with the driving of the vehicle. Some bloke had a PS2 screen in the dashbaord a while back and got done for it by the cops and was ordered by the judge to remove it.

Lex
    I was also looking at the Argos one with the twin 5in screens until I saw an add for the Venturer with the 6.2in screens in Dixons/Currys in a UK paper.
    The 5in screens are too small!
    The UK price was 219.99 Sterling (about 320 Euro) 40 Euro cheaper then Dixons/Argos down here!
    So went up on Friday and bought one.
    There's a Currys Superstore in Springfield on the M1 to Belfast, past Newry.
    About 1 1/2 from Airport (Motorway until Dundalk and Dual carraigeway in NI.
    There's a Sainsburys and B&Q in the same retail park. Other side of the road has PC World, M&S and a couple of others.
    It's brilliant, plays CD'S, CDR'S, DVDR'S and has the games console attached to it (haven't tried it yet).
    IT'S NOT region FREE though, it will only play Region 2 or Region 0.
    Not sure if there is a code to make it Region Free but not that bothered if it doesn't. Watched a film in it at the weekend and it played brilliantly.
    It has 3 earphone sockets (1 in each screen and a third one in the console itself). Each screen has a seperate volume control and fitting it is very easy.
    It has a remote which you just point at either screen and you change anything on it.
    Would recommend it.
    For the extra 30 odd Euro, get the 6.2in screens, you won't regret it.
    Just for info, it will only play in the car unless you get a power source for it.
    cheers oki, do you drive through Newry and out and is it on the road to Belfast? I had a look at the Currys website and the address is Unit 2, Damolly Retail Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭hansov

I think the Currys that Oki is talking about is in Sprucefield which is near Lisburn which is near Belfast. If it is, then continue on the road to Belfast bypassing Newry. AFAIK There is a Currys in Newry as well on the Armagh Road (I think!) but it may not be a superstore.

Yep that's the one Sprucefield, not sure where I got Springfield from?
    I actually went up to Dixons in Belfast but didn't have any in stock so I was driving back towards Newry trying to remember where there was a Dixons/Currys, then I remembered and had to turn back, well worth the trip though. They may have had it in other places but I was happy enough to get it there. They had 2 left after I bought mine in Sprucefield but try ringing. Also picked up a G con PS2 gun for 5 GBP in Currys :)

P.S.
    Sainsburys there take EURO at 0.7000.
    Currys DON'T take Euro!

If you want to see one working, go have a look at the new Fiat Stillo.
    If you buy the car new, you get the DVD FREE!
    Not sure if they have it set up anywhere but it's deffo the same model
    as the one I got.

Advertisement