Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

telephony service problem

• 13-02-2005 7:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭

hi - any help with this problem greatly appreciated ---- my main pc froze completely ( for no apparent reason ) and i traced the probelm using msconfig in safe mode such that when i disable the service "telephony" the pc doesn't freeze anymore. but now i have no internet access. so far i have tried

virus scans with up to date antivirus
    antispyware scans
    hard drive error check
    scannow /sfc

am running out of ideas so next will be do do a repair of xp using the setup disk - :: question - if i choose to do that will i loose information from my pc ?? ( i dont fully understand the difference between repair and reinstall ) - i know that at least one of them erases your documents folder, favourites and desktop folder - so i'm hoping that i dont have to go that far - has anyone got any suggestions

thanks in advance
    bob

ps when starting in safe mode the pc hangs for ages ( 5 mins ) on something like windows/system32/drivers/mup.sys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

you wont lose any data trying to fix your pc with the repair console, from booting the xp disc, go into repair console and do a chkdsk /r

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

thanks for help - however i wasnt referring to the recovery console ( repair ) - but there is a different repair which is more like a reinstall but as i understand slightly different - do you know the one i'm talking about ( it's not the one where you press R - it's an option on the next page ) - and do you know what it deletes

do a chkdsk /r

when i right clicked on the c drive and selected properties -> tools -> error check and ticked the two tickboxes - did i not do the same thing ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

yeah, sorry didnt read that very thoroughly(sp?), fraid i dont know what that deletes, tried system restore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

not sure why but i had no restore points --- bummer - looks like i'll have back up everything and do a a restore

Advertisement