Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

inspirational films

• 13-02-2005 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

recommend some please. Went down to the store and saw nothing that appealled to me. Walking tall starring the rock or somebody didn't cut it somehow.
    I'll start with an obvious one: Rocky.
    Is Ali worth watching? The Biography by David Remnick (I think is the name anyway) is kinda inspriational really.
    Hate to troll my own thread, but you can buy this on the FS:General forum if you like. I'm selling off lots of books.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

The shawshank redemption? are you talking about new releases or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

not necessarily new. Seen the shawshank redemption. It's excellent. Exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Basic Instinct.

It inspires me to drop my pants and beat off like a madman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

It's a Wonderful Life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

How do you define inspirational?

I'll just recommend Leon, even though that might inspire you to teach a 12 year old girl how to be a hitman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

I'll just recommend Leon, even though that might inspire you to teach a 12 year old girl how to be a hitman.
    hehe.. your a service to the community

before sunset..
    wonder boys.. ..>/<

oh and eureka

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

The last of the mohicans? honour, love, friendship, self sacrifice. Struggling to think of any really. will give it some thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Try these?

Gladiator
    Hearts In Atlantis
    The Lord of the Rings
    Schindler's List
    Magnolia
    Stand By Me
    Angela's Ashes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Being Human with Robin Williams is a fantastic film, but not very well known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Punch-Drunk Love
    Amelie
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    The Breakfast Club
    American Beauty
    Fight Club <- inspiring (tho probably not any productive/positive way)
    Ghost World

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Reef

I found Million Dollar Baby inspirational.

Also Crazy/Beautiful but in a different sense obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

Passion of the Jaysus? not really inspiring but could be what you're lookin for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

"Rudy" is the kind of movie that will make you think you can take on the world.

All together now

Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!

Its a great show.

Babe is pretty uplifting too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

"Harold and Maude". (1971)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

Diarios de Motocicleta (Motorcycle Diaries) ***** for thought provoking
    The Deer Hunter - inspiration on how soldiers cope with war and friendship
    Taxi Driver - inspirational on social aspects

Killing Pimps is hardly inspiration? I suppose he kind of went from zero to hero.

I wouldnt put Taxi Driver and Rocky in the same Category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

eternal sunshine anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Brenner

Pi
    Requiem for a Dream
    Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
    Punch Drunk Love

anyone seen Dogville - heard its supposed to be great?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Brenner wrote:
    anyone seen Dogville - heard its supposed to be great?

It sure is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Almarsáre

I saw Hotel Rwanda during the film festival. Thats the most inspirational movie I've seen in a long time. Inspired me to join amnesty (which I've been meaning to do for years).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Brenner

Actually I can't believe I didn't remember this one..."The Corporation"

Man this movie shook me to the core, its quite freaky actually how sinister a light golbal corporations can be painted in so easily that they want so much to market themselves that they end up boasting about things that are totally unnaccepatble... half of the interviews in this documentary are with people who are senior in corporatins themselves, ranting about how they can convince little children to nag their parents for toys (what a victory!)

I went to the nearest web cafe after seeing this and mailed everone on my list to go see it, dvd release is sometime in march. This film should be seen for humanity's sake!! ;)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379225/

B

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Reef

I have it at home but I'm half scared to watch it because I know it'll depress me even more about what's to become of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Some excellent suggestions here, thanks a mill for allk the responses!
    I thought Dogville was exdcellent too, though I don't think it would be everybody's cup of tea. It actually changed the way I thought about certain things in a hugley positive way.

Advertisement