Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plasterboard Coving Versus Polystyrene Coving

Options
  • 13-02-2005 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Any differance between these when there up and painted.....can't see how you'd tell once there painted

Polystyrene stuff is way cheaper...easier to put up etc.....must be a catch though..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

I've put up both on 2 different occasions. The polystyrene is easier to put up as it is lighter, end result looked pretty good, you do see the 'dimpled' surface of the foam if you look closely. The plaster coving required a bit more work to be honest. On both it was difficult to do it so the butt joint between lengths was invisible, however the plaster coving was easier to sand afterwards without any risk of damaging it. I used plastic internal and external pieces for the corners, worked well, removed need to mitre the corners.

I personally would go for the plaster coving again as it looks slightly better, I dont think its that expensive (€100 for a typical front room if memory serves me)

;););)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 serc16

I have just bought a house, and I was informed by my surveyor that I had to take down polystyrene coving because it was against building regs and was a fire hazard. Not sure if he's right, but something to think about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

sound for that lads...think i'll go with the plasterboard stuff and mitre the corners meself....room was coming out at around €200...bout 90 of that was the premade corner pieces....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

by plaster do you mean the sort-of cardboardy stuff you can buy in 6-packs? That's what I've seen used, and it looks very good.

Advertisement