Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion of new X-box and PS forums.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Mabye this can work for us. If all the "games" regulars boycott the seperate forums mabye the fanboys will get caught in there and we will not have to listen to them anymore. :D

OT: I've just had a look around Games Toaster and it looks good but (there's always a but) you need your own logo, the image you have for games toaster at the top now looks kind of cheap and the reviews read more like previews and don't give a feeling for the game, the just skim over basics. They should go into the good and bad points of the game. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

monument wrote:

:o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

So I logged in today to discover that Cloud has created two new forums for the X-box and Playstation respectively. Our Cloud moves in mysterious ways. /me bows.

I've moved both the X-box modchip and Gamer list threads to the X-box forum and written a quick charter. I currently mod it by default, this may change in the future if I do not recover from my current World of Warcrack addiction (I'm only writing this because I can't log on to it at the moment). Same goes for the Playstation forum. Please do not pm me requesting I back your ambition for moderatorship ie. don't call me, I'll call you.

The Games Charter covers both of these new forums so be good or I'll sneak up behind you in stealth mode and stab you in the back. :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nobody is happy with the creation of the new forums. I beg of you amp to champion our cause of the obliteration of these 2 silly forums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Nobody is happy with the creation of the new forums. I beg of you amp to champion our cause of the obliteration of these 2 silly forums.

Im with you on this one, the people who wanted these forums will nodoubt use it as a place to talk about modding the Ps/Xbox and you know what will happen then, the usual "how do i play pirate games" crap, i for one will be staying well away from these 2 new forums

I won't. As usual I must interpret Clouds will on this and after some thought I'm sure this will work. We will not be moving any threads to the new forums in the future. If people want to post about X-box or PS related stuff they can do it either here or in those specific forums.

I have opposed seperation in the past and am a bit annoyed at Cloud doing yet another one of his "come in, change everything and then buggar off" routines. However , the worst that can happen is that those forums will die.

The way I see it, Games is a hub for those people that consider themselves gamers. If fanboys want to post to their particular forum then they can. But if you don't want to you don't have to.

And to address the poster who posted about piracy in the new forums while I wrote the above I believe the charters I have written for them will answer his/her concerns.

Ah, I didn't see this. I'm going to merge this thread with my one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So a boycott is the only way :( viva la revolution!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

amp wrote:
    so be good or I'll sneak up behind you in stealth mode and stab you in the back. :eek:

ah so you are a rogue . viva la revolution!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Looks like those two new boards will die a natural death, and I for one shall do the electric boogaloo on their graves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Each time a tosser came along and suggested these other format specific boards, the idea was shot down, time and time again. Yet, somehow, these boards were still created. What does that say about the person who created them? That they are retarded? I think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Hooray for segregation!

We should also have two further subdivisions within the xbox board, where only men can post in one and only women in the other.

Each time a tosser came along and suggested these other format specific boards, the idea was shot down, time and time again. Yet, somehow, these boards were still created. What does that say about the person who created them? That they are retarded? I think so.

You're saying Cloud is retarded? Careful now.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No, he's saying I'm retarded.

Hey, any of you who want to start a boycott, PM me. I'll help your boycott along...

This division stays until I feel we've tried it and it failed. I'd like PS1/2/3 and XBox1/2 threads moved to that forum please moderators.
    Threads about games that are played cross-platform can stay where they are first posted (here or in the Console's specific forum). Threads about the likes of Halo2 which are console specific should be moved.

I dont know that this will work. The point is, neither do you. We'll try it and we'll discover. Until then, I dont EVER want to hear this sort of sh*t on Boards again.

Some of you I've never ever heard of and you are acting like you have god given rights here. Well, maybe you are all new round here but you'll learn and if you dont you can fook off cos this aint happy corporate land and I dont have to be nice to you.

DeV.

DeVore wrote:
    I dont know that this will work. The point is, neither do you.

Here's a prediction, it won't work.

I think most people want to discuss games no matter what console they are on. Having to browse 2 console forums, a games forum for PC and multi platform games and everything in between and a non-existant Nintendo forum is madness. What next, an atari jaguar forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Dev, this is absolutely ridiculous. Most of this board's users either own, or are at least interested in, two or three of the consoles. For those that aren't, the board is hardly swamped with threads and ignoring ones that don't interest them is no effort. To me, all this move is doing is breaking up cross-format discussion and making it so much more time consuming to read threads of interest.

I can't think of a single benefit to this move.

You've talked in another post about the consoles going online, and you want a place for the communities to grow. There are more sensible ways to do that, (say... an online console forum), but the only communities that are going to grow out of these types of forums are cliquey, mine's-better-than-yours communities.

Fair enough, it's your call, I've no right blah blah, but pretty much every single forum regular without exception is against this move. Nobody is crying out for these forums, and if the strongest argument against this will of opposition is "well, we'll wait and see", then I think that says something.

nakey.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Addressed to noone in particular.

Stamping your feet and reiterating your opinion in strident tones is no replacement for an argument.

Me: Hey, who knows. You could be right, I could be right, lets wait and see.

You: No. I'm right.

Conciliatory vs Bombastic.

But if you all want a scientific argument. We, the admins created over 350 forums and the vast VAST majority of them are vibrant and alive. Only clan forums and spur-of-the-moment jokes have really failed. So, my track record is pretty good... hows yours?
    Can we extrapolate the likelihood of success from the last 7 years?

Now I didnt make that argument, my argument has all along been: I'll see how things go.

I will do just that and if it doesnt work I'll move them all back here. You can dance on anything you like at that point. I've taken on board that some vociferous people dont want this. Some people on the forums in question seem to want it. He who shouts the loudest doesnt make the law and I *really* dont react well to being shouted at or threatened by "boycotts".

Those are bluffs I *really* enjoy calling.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

DeVore wrote:
    Threads about the likes of Halo2 which are console specific should be moved.

What about when Halo 2 comes out on PC? Are all the Halo threads going to be moved back to games? And when San Andres comes out for PC and Xbox? And when Resident Evil 4 comes out for... oh wait, there is no nintendo forum, for some reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The emerging hostility is making me a little bit sad.

I didn't really like the idea either, but there's no harm in seeing where it goes. Boycotts are a bit OTT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Fair enough, if it's a "wait-and-see" approach then so be it. I just don't know what you're expecting out of these forums. I think one for Online Console Gaming (since the DS and PSP will also be going online, and perhaps Nintendo's new console) and Modding would have filled the gaps completely.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

DeVore wrote:
    This division stays until I feel we've tried it and it failed. I'd like PS1/2/3 and XBox1/2 threads moved to that forum please moderators.

I've created a sticky asking everyone to post PlayStation and Xbox threads in their forums. And I will move any such threads untill you tell me not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

maybe instead of making a gamecube one you should make a nintendo one for the gamecube,gba and the ds thats bound to get a lot of traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Rabble, Rabble, Rabble.

...and another thain where's the C64 forum! (greatest machine ever built)

Forget about the 64!!!!!!!!! Rabble, Rabble, Rabble!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

DeVore wrote:
    my argument has all along been: I'll see how things go.

If you want to see how things go then you shouldn't be threatening people into using the new boards, people should have the choice to post in games or in consoles if they want, then you'd see how much demand there actually is for the new boards. Of course they'll look busy if people are being forced to use them, that doesn't mean it's a better system. I don't think one single regular user of the games board has said they're in favour of the new system. All it does is cause segregation, give less opportunity for discussion(I've started ignoring the x-box forum now even though I always read x-box threads before, it's just become too awkward) and generally make the forum harder to use.

If there's a lot of posts in the new forums due to the fact that people are no longer allowed post here when they want to, that doesn't constitute a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

There's more boards than threads at this stage!

Rabble, Rabble, Rabble.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Right, I’ve been told that the moving of threads was only until the new boards got established and that they are now fine so threads will no longer be moved, unless the thread starter requests so.

Advertisement