Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscar Triumphs

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Hmm I think the call was fine tbh upon reflection but I've made this point before that in that moment with 20 seconds or so to call I, in HJs position, would not have evaluated my percentage chance of winning to be 33% or greater. HJ obviously, as he has said, does know his percentage from going through situations like this.
    You'll see in the chat that I was delighted to be called by 64s and horrified to lose to it and the only reason I've discussed this hand at all is because I think HJ thought I was annoyed when I was just slagging him. Bit rough of you though HJ telling me that I should have waited for a better hand shortstacked. Rub it in why dont you.
    Tom glad you didn't come to my cash game last week. Lets just say the best way to retain a tight image is rarely having to show bluffs :)
    It's funny actually because during that game I was asking myself a question perhaps one of you experts can answer. I was planning a bluff and over the next 4-5 hands it was raised before it got to me. So my question is if stealing blinds from time to time is part of the game what do you do when there is a raise before you almost every hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭BrendanB

Yeah, it's always messy, I find that if I have a decent tight table image I'll just start raising UTG with half a hand, and re-raising if I put someone on a steal. If you have a decent stack you'll get away with it as long as you don't get too far out of line.

On a related one, I this was a hand from the tourney. I was away from the game for a minute and came in with my clock ticking. I decided it was an unnecessary risk to reraise that early and I hate playing jacks. What do ye think?

POKERSTARS GAME #1220675063: TOURNAMENT #5209291, HOLD'EM NO LIMIT - LEVEL VI (100/200) - 2005/02/15 - 16:21:24 (ET)
    Table '5209291 1' Seat #8 is the button
    Seat 2: karlh2001 (3485 in chips)
    Seat 3: john_g83 (1585 in chips)
    Seat 5: Hectorjelly (4265 in chips)
    Seat 6: SFellow (2155 in chips)
    Seat 7: Imposter1 (1020 in chips)
    Seat 8: KeepThePiece (4480 in chips)
    Seat 9: Larkin Paul (835 in chips)
    Larkin Paul: posts small blind 100
    karlh2001: posts big blind 200
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to KeepThePiece [Js Jd]
    john_g83: folds
    Hectorjelly: raises 400 to 600
    SFellow: folds
    Imposter1: folds
    KeepThePiece: folds
    Larkin Paul: folds
    karlh2001: folds
    Hectorjelly collected 500 from pot
    Hectorjelly: doesn't show hand
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 500 | Rake 0
    Seat 2: karlh2001 (big blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 3: john_g83 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 5: Hectorjelly collected (500)
    Seat 6: SFellow folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 7: Imposter1 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 8: KeepThePiece (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 9: Larkin Paul (small blind) folded before Flop

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Lol @ Brendans post... I take your points and indeed, I'd already corrected my mistake about 22 and 33 before you pointed it out...

I'm not communicating properly. My post was intended to do several things:
    1. Back up Muso's lighthearted horror at HJ calling with 6,4 with some maths.

2. Show how I arrive at *some* of the decision *I* make, to better clarify what I sit there thinking about sometimes.

3. Poke HJ, cos you know, thats always fun... :)

4. Show a real world case of the "thesis" I wrote on this approach a while ago. Its a good and simple application of it imho.

5. Highlight and explore a difference in play between a few of us, because in the discussion of that lies enlightenment and learning.

If you reread what I wrote you'll see that it really makes no judgement, pay particular attention to the "If you think Muso would do this with >13 non-paired hands then its a good call" bit. Ok, 13 should have read 11 but like, I too make mistakes you know :)
    Also, this is ROUGH maths because you cant do percent perfect calculations at the table. Definitely not online!

I dont think I'd have made this call because of the tournament situation since its really a take or leave it call according to the maths. Now thats me, HJ on the other hand likes to play a big stack and does it well. For him it might be worth the risk as he'll make better use of the big stack then I might. Perhaps that swings it for him!

In general I just wanted to bring a big of scientific analysis into the usual "you're a fish" "no I had the odds" "odds smodds how could you call that" argument :)

I like getting buggered by hippopotami though. mmmmm hippopotami...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Eh, can we open a sticky called the "Dev and HJ trainspottingly boring maths thread" for you two to battle out with those enormously logical maths brains of yours? :D;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

DeVore wrote:
    I like getting buggered by hippopotami though. mmmmm hippopotami...

DeV.

and that ladies and gentlemen is the endering memory of this thread ;)

Thanks for nothing DeV :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

DeVore wrote:
    A great piece of obfuscation coupled with some truths there Hector.... neatly avoiding the entire point of my post though which was summed up in the paragraph:

So how you can say...

...is beyond me, perhaps I wasnt clear.... *cough*.... :eek:

Clearly you felt there was a good range of unpaired hands he could be doing this with. I dont, but hey, thats poker and if that was the basis for the call, then as I've said, its not bad. I wouldnt have called Musician in that instance but then thats me!
    For interests sake, can you list the unpaired hands you think he might have done that with? (no agenda here, I'm just curious to hear). I cant think of 11 beyond the ever present "he might be bluffing" option. Ak-A9, KQ, KJ, QJ. Muso doesnt go for suited connectors in that position from what I've seen of his play so I'm struggling to think of more then 8.

The point I think your missing is that unpaired hands are far more common than paired hands. You can get AK 16 ways and AA and KK only 12, if against someone moving in with AK KK or AA you are more likely to be up against AK than a pair. In this case I thought Muso is moving in with Any ace, any k down to K9 and any pair, because that tends to be standard play at that time. Against this exact range of hands I have 36% equity. If you remove the K's and all the aces below A8 than I have a 34% equity. If you remove all aces below Aj I have a 31% equity.

This is a very clearcut situation and I have no doubt about the call at all.

musician wrote:
    Hmm I think the call was fine tbh upon reflection but I've made this point before that in that moment with 20 seconds or so to call I, in HJs position, would not have evaluated my percentage chance of winning to be 33% or greater. HJ obviously, as he has said, does know his percentage from going through situations like this.
    You'll see in the chat that I was delighted to be called by 64s and horrified to lose to it and the only reason I've discussed this hand at all is because I think HJ thought I was annoyed when I was just slagging him. Bit rough of you though HJ telling me that I should have waited for a better hand shortstacked. Rub it in why dont you.
    Tom glad you didn't come to my cash game last week. Lets just say the best way to retain a tight image is rarely having to show bluffs :)
    It's funny actually because during that game I was asking myself a question perhaps one of you experts can answer. I was planning a bluff and over the next 4-5 hands it was raised before it got to me. So my question is if stealing blinds from time to time is part of the game what do you do when there is a raise before you almost every hand?

If you need to steal blinds but the game is overaggressive then you have to make a resteal, or move in with any two utg. Allthough you need to have enough chips to push someone off a hand in the first instance. If you dont then you need to have a hand with sometype of showdown (any ace) and call whoever you think is getting the most out of line, and is therefore unlikely to have a real hand.

I didnt realise it was you muso, I would of called faster!

BrendanB wrote:
    Yeah, it's always messy, I find that if I have a decent tight table image I'll just start raising UTG with half a hand, and re-raising if I put someone on a steal. If you have a decent stack you'll get away with it as long as you don't get too far out of line.

On a related one, I this was a hand from the tourney. I was away from the game for a minute and came in with my clock ticking. I decided it was an unnecessary risk to reraise that early and I hate playing jacks. What do ye think?

I hate to say this but I dont think you can fold JJ to me to a single raise at that stage of a tournament. Unfortunately our stack sizes mean any raise you make is pot committing, and I dont like calling to see a flop as you will get pushed off a lot of flops with the best hand. Akward situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

The point I think your missing is that unpaired hands are far more common than paired hands. You can get AK 16 ways and AA and KK only 12, if against someone moving in with AK KK or AA you are more likely to be up against AK than a pair.

Exactly what I was thinking, I couldn't understand the 50-50 thinking either.
    Take any Ace (AK-A2) => 192 combs.
    KQ-KT => 48combs
    QJ-QT => 32 combs
    JT = 16 combs
    Total of 288 hands

Take any pair => 78 combs

=> approx 4/1 against holding a pair.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its all in or pass Brendan, I'd have gone all in I think.

D'oh. I over simplified things and made that cock up in the process. This proves what I was saying about argument bringing enlightenment. It hasnt been a good maths day for me has it! :)
    I still think I wouldnt have risked it but like I said, its a marginal call either way. My style is more risk averse, perhaps thats wrong and a flaw in my game but I used to take a lot of risks and now I value survival a lot higher. It just seems to have worked better for me in the long run. (where better = more cash).

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

BrendanB wrote:
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to KeepThePiece [Js Jd]
    john_g83: folds
    Imposter1: folds
    KeepThePiece: folds
    Larkin Paul: folds
    karlh2001: folds
    Hectorjelly collected 500 from pot
    Hectorjelly: doesn't show hand
    What hand do you put HJ on here? I'd either reraise or call see a flop and bet aggressively on any non scary looking flop. HJ could be raising with a huge variety of hands and JJ is too strong to be pushed off with a preflop raise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭BrendanB

Yes and no. I think the difficulty is that this is one of the situations where if I stick it in I'm not being called by anything that's significantly behind. Given that the raiser and myself are the two big stacks I'm not sure if I see the point of taking the chance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Anybody think we should give one or two points for every tournament you enter....?

Advertisement