Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Rankings

• 14-02-2005 12:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

What's the highest World Ranking we ever achieved?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

without checking i think it was 8 after Italia 90. Might be wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

whats the point of this?

I just was fascinated when I found out. That's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

6th

• Advertisement

Correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

right so.

anyone think we will ever top it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

right so.

anyone think we will ever top it?

yes if it was for hurling :D

We've never been the 6th best team in the world so I doubt we'll ever top the rankings. Besides its points based, so we'd have to win a couple of World Cups and Eupopean championships to get anywhere near the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Stekelly wrote:
    We've never been the 6th best team in the world so I doubt we'll ever top the rankings. Besides its points based, so we'd have to win a couple of World Cups and Eupopean championships to get anywhere near the top.

Yeah of course you're right, sure the Czech Republic are fourth in the latest rankings and we're all sick of them winning the World Cup and the Euros :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

BolBill wrote:
    Yeah of course you're right, sure the Czech Republic are fourth in the latest rankings and we're all sick of them winning the World Cup and the Euros :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

fourth is not first even if us Liverpool fan would like to think it is.

1 . Brazil 842
    2 . France 791
    3 . Argentina 785
    4 . Czech Republic 777
    5 . Spain 764
    6 . Netherlands 757
    7 . Mexico 753
    8 . England 751
    9 . Portugal 747
    1 0 . Italy 738
    1 1 . USA 726
    1 2 . Republic of Ireland 716

Thats the top twelve, which means we would have to preform consistantly better than the eleven teams above us, not likely imo and would probably involve us winning the wc. God help us if FIFA ever do the sensible thing and stop taking friendlies into account.

Stekelly wrote:
    fourth is not first even if us Liverpool fan would like to think it is.

1 . Brazil 842
    2 . France 791
    3 . Argentina 785
    4 . Czech Republic 777
    5 . Spain 764
    6 . Netherlands 757
    7 . Mexico 753
    8 . England 751
    9 . Portugal 747
    1 0 . Italy 738
    1 1 . USA 726
    1 2 . Republic of Ireland 716

Thats the top twelve, which means we would have to preform consistantly better than the eleven teams above us, not likely imo and would probably involve us winning the wc. God help us if FIFA ever do the sensible thing and stop taking friendlies into account.

Involve us winning the World Cup????? I really don't know why you think this???? If we qualify better than any of the above teams (i.e. win our tougher group) we will over take them !!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

BolBill wrote:
    Involve us winning the World Cup????? I really don't know why you think this???? If we qualify better than any of the above teams (i.e. win our tougher group) we will over take them !!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Let's just worry about overtakign the long time footballing super-power that is the USA first. Can you honestly see us making up 126pts on Brazil?

Does anyone have a list of how points are awarded, I know it was discussed a while back but I cant find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

BolBill wrote:
    haha. The FIFA rankings aren't very accurate but do you honestly think that if we finished top of our group ahead of France that we're suddenly better than them over a 4 year period and we'd overtake them in the rankings? :D

Stekelly wrote:
    Does anyone have a list of how points are awarded, I know it was discussed a while back but I cant find it.
    How Rankings are calcuated
    There you go. Gets quite complicated as you go on though.

eirebhoy wrote:
    haha. The FIFA rankings aren't very accurate but do you honestly think that if we finished top of our group ahead of France that we're suddenly better than them over a 4 year period and we'd overtake them in the rankings? :D
    No I don't.

Brian017 wrote:
    No I don't.
    I was replying to "if we qualify better than any of the above teams (i.e. win our tougher group) we will over take them !!!!!!!!!".

Oh ok ;)

eirebhoy wrote:

JESUS CHRIST !!! THATS NOT WHAT IM SAYING, but if we do top our group we will move up the rankings, not OVETAKE the FRENCH FFS !!!! just up the rankings because we would be rewarded for finishing higher than a team ahead of us in the rankings. :rolleyes:

BolBill wrote:
    JESUS CHRIST !!! THATS NOT WHAT IM SAYING, but if we do top our group we will move up the rankings, not OVETAKE the FRENCH FFS !!!! just up the rankings because we would be rewarded for finishing higher than a team ahead of us in the rankings. :rolleyes:
    Don't start bloody shouting when it was clear you were wrong to say:
    "...we will over take them"

BTW - It is pretty clear that the above quote is not actually a "typo" mistake, you actually did think we would overtake them as you were replying to Stekelly saying we'd need to win a world cup to overtake them. Next time, admit it. And calm down with the sarcastic smiley you've used in every post in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

judging by the standard of the teams above us, and with 10 points being a relatively big gap in World Rankings terms, we'd almost need a quarter final place at the World cup next summer to get above the US.

Draupnir wrote:
    judging by the standard of the teams above us, and with 10 points being a relatively big gap in World Rankings terms, we'd almost need a quarter final place at the World cup next summer to get above the US.

**EDIT** Read the post wrong**EDIT**
    Thats assuming the USA dont do well, they usually get a 2nd round place anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

yep thats the problem, mexico and the US are virtually guaranteed to stay in the top 10/12 because they have such a handy time qualifying and trouncing trinidad & tobago et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Draupnir wrote:
    yep thats the problem, mexico and the US are virtually guaranteed to stay in the top 10/12 because they have such a handy time qualifying and trouncing trinidad & tobago et al.

Agreed, that's why people don't take the rankings too seriously. I prefer these rankings, they cover competitive games only http://www.elerankings.com/frameworldfootball.htm

If the US didn't play this month we would have overtaken them in the next rankings but they beat Trindad 2-1 away from home so there's not much chance of it happening now (Trindad are decent enough). The US have 10 matches in the same period we have 2 (Italy and China).

we should just organise to play stKitts & Nevis every 2nd day fo rthe whole summer break. That'll sort us out to our true positon as no1 in the rankings. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

The fifa rankings are decent enough, Ireland look good enough to out-perform some of the above teams from now till the world cup (if/when we qualify) to close the gap, points wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The highest ranking for Ireland was 6th in August 1993. Lowest was 57th in November 1998.

Rankings are accumlated over 8 years of results. Also, expect the US to be ahead of Mexico by the end of the year.

Stekelly wrote:
    **EDIT** Read the post wrong**EDIT**
    Thats assuming the USA dont do well, they usually get a 2nd round place anyway.

Do they usually ? Really? 2002 Yes, 1998 No (Didnt win a game), 1994 Yes (were at home and scraped through in 3rd place in the group), 1990 No (Lost all three games), 1986 Didn't qualify.

So on that evidence they usually make the second round. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

BolBill wrote:
    Do they usually ? Really? 2002 Yes, 1998 No (Didnt win a game), 1994 Yes (were at home and scraped through in 3rd place in the group), 1990 No (Lost all three games), 1986 Didn't qualify.

So on that evidence they usually make the second round. :rolleyes:

They have improved in leaps and bounds since '98, now that the children of the WC in '94 are growing up.
    I'd expect them to win a world cup in less than 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The current US team is not the team of 1986/90/94 or 98. The team has improved dramatically over the last 10 years. Just witness the growing number of US players now playing in England, Germany and Holland. Look at the teams represented in the US's game last week (Borussia Mönchengladbach , Hannover, Feyenoord, Fulham, PSV Eindhoven, Bayer Leverkusen). The major factor in the development of the US player has been the success of MLS. Although the attendance of game is sluggish (average about 15K), the league has helped developed good players has become more of a feeder league for the Euro leagues. Unlike the old NASL, MLS clubs are only allowed 4 senior foreign players on the squad (plus 4 youth foreign players), so they are compelled to development young americans.

As for winning the World Cup, well that's a long way off. In 2006, they will have better talent than 2002, and then they were unlucky not to reach the semis. The surprise at the American's ability coupled with shrewed tactics by Bruce Arena helped them to a strong showing. Next year, the surprise element will be gone but the young players of 2002 are now more experienced plus some good young kids are coming through. A lot of luck goes into a single tournament but I expect them to get to the second round at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Harry2001 wrote:
    I prefer these rankings, they cover competitive games only http://www.elerankings.com/frameworldfootball.htm

Pffft! That system only has us at 21st .... so is clearly invalid! Basing a ranking system on something as abstract as competitive results now? Pfft I say again!

Besides, climbing meaningless the World Rankings tables and winning World Cups? Is this what football is all about these days? These are not the things Greener cares for!

2005 Ireland crowned Friendlies world champions with 0-0 draw at home to Italy.

2006 Ireland regain Unnofficial world champs crown with late 1-0 win over holders Angola!

2007 Ireland gain aggregate revenge on 'the old enemy' Nigeria with 4-0 win at Flancare Park (Jason Byrne hat-trick, Roy Keane 1)!

Advertisement