Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audition

Options
  • 14-02-2005 3:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Now I'm sure there's a load of us here who's seen the film Audition, and personally, I would consider it an absolute masterpeice. A lot of people however, would disagree with me on that point calling the film boring. What got me thinking about this is the thread about Dark Water, the subject of slow-burning horror films comes up, and of teenage girls who have no attention spans.

So, while I viewed Audition as an elegent, thoughtfull, intelligent, original, and intruiging thriller, that was parts drama, mystery, and horror, others seemed to shrug it off as boring. I think people really take the film up wrong, and it's seemingly a victim of its own hype in that sense, people seem to expect a 2-hour Gorefest, not a well acted, deliberatly paced, almost Hitchcock-esque dramatic chiller of an art-house film.

Would anyone else concur? I find it extremely sad that the film seems to be judged majorly on, and become hyped up for a single scene. I think it's a film that is so much more than just the mindless gore it seems to be pegged as, and it deserves a more open-minded viewing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

I've seen most of the movie, not all. (damn stuff plotting against me)

Anyway i think it is brilliant. It just builds up, and gets creepier and creepier. The first time you see her sitting in her apartment is just chilling.

I intend to rent it some day

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I agree completely. I was quite lucky to avoid most of the hype about this - I'd heard a couple of mutterings about it being good about 2 or 3 years ago, and decided to put it on my "Must watch" list after finding the trailer on my DVD of Re-animator. It does suffer a lot from hype, because a lot of the film's strength is in throwing you off-balance - you start watching it not really knowing much about it except that someone has mentioned it's a headphuck of a film, and it lulls you into a false sense of security, and you start wondering if you even have the right movie....and then it gets strange. But not the usual slasher strange. And it maintains it until the ending, which is one of the most horrible endings I've ever seen in a film and one of the few times I've found myself cringing and having to force myself to stay watching the screen.

People who enjoyed the entire Friday 13th series, for example, would not benefit much from it. But then again, what they really want is T&A coupled with a bit more gore than your usual action flick serves up, and do not deserve to be catered to, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I saw this a long long time ago, when it was just released on R2 DVD and no one here was talking about it, so that means I didn't know anything that happened in the film, and boy was it good :)

It's a slower film alright, not a Friday the 13th type of film as Fysh said, but very disturbing alltogether.

Advertisement