Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a webserver

Options
  • 14-02-2005 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

how can i set up a webserver on windows 2000 server

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

google. Download apache and install it. Or any web server software.

Gav

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You probably have IIS on it already, while it might be ok for internal use but, It Isn't Secure , when connected to the internet.

The only reason to look at an alternative to Apache is when you have a specific need for certain specific features.
    eg: www.tinyted.net - an 85KB Wiki Server :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

You probably have IIS on it already, while it might be ok for internal use but, It Isn't Secure , when connected to the internet.

i will probably use IIS as its for a college project is there any good tutorial sites
    ill have a look at the Wiki Server thanks all for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If it's college related you'd be far better to go with an Apache install. It'll get you some kudos from the lecturer for recognising that IIS isn't near secure enough to use as a server and the installation guide is pretty good. Hell, even I've managed to do one!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

All you need is Apache. The most recent, 2.X releases are very easy to install. If you need server-side scripting look at installing php 4.X.

All you need to do is google. There are a lot of guides there that will help you install Apache onto Windows.

I run Apache/PHP/mySql on a Windows box amd should be installing it onto a Linux box soon once I get it running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Also have a look here
    Has just about everything in one nice install.

XAMPP for Windows
    The distribution for Windows 98, NT, 2000 and XP. This version contains: Apache, MySQL, PHP + PEAR, Perl, mod_php, mod_perl, mod_ssl, OpenSSL, phpMyAdmin, Webalizer, Mercury Mail Transport System for Win32 and NetWare Systems v3.32, JpGraph, FileZilla FTP Server, mcrypt, Turck MMCache, SQLite, and WEB-DAV + mod_auth_mysql.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

The only reason to look at an alternative to Apache is when you have a specific need for certain specific features.
    eg: www.tinyted.net - an 85KB Wiki Server :)

Don't mean to hijack the thread but how does the new version of IIS compare with Apache?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭b3n

Yeah i use Xampp, swear by it. No longer edit my site with the actual files. Have a duplicate on my HD and it has everything bundled so you can replicate your SQL settigs on it and all!

Does anyone know how to setup Xampp for an actual site. I have a computer, firewalled but with constant connection, how do i go abouts hosting my site on it?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Xampp for teh WIN!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

galactus wrote:
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but how does the new version of IIS compare with Apache?
    It doesn't. Apache is, and always will be, one of the best webservers out there, there are better servers though, Zeus webserver has features that Apache lacks but it costs a small fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

IIS on w2k3 is very stable and works well, and is fairly secure. For windows, it's excellent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

IIS on w2k3 is very stable and works well, and is fairly secure. For windows, it's excellent :)
    That may be the case, but you also forget the price tag for Windows 2003.
    Why else would hosts.ie have a linux solution for a tenner cheaper then the windows equivilent, windows has a higher TCO a proven fact.

I can guarentee (figerativly speaking) that for every version of IIS that was released has at least 1 fatal flaw that can be exploited by at least one virus and its varients that will either crash the server or infect all clients using Internet Explorer.

That said, I believe you when you say that IIS 6 is very stable and secure, but I wont pay for the privilege to use it, not when Apache is free and just as stable and secure.

Advertisement