Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM not detected

Options
  • 14-02-2005 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭

Just made a bit of a cock-up:
    I have two PC's,one that is two years old and another that is five years old.
    There was 256 MB of RAM on the newer one so I decide to buy another stick of 256 to upgrade it to 512.
    I could only get 256 MB sticks (I bought it from Marx Computers) so I decided to buy two of them and stick the other one into the old PC (there is 192 MB on it at the mo'.Don't ask me why it is showing me such an uneven number,it's an old pc).
    Trouble is it won't detect it. It is still only showing 192 even though it should be 704 or whatever.
    Actually when I put in the new 256 stick on it's own it says there is only 192 in it.
    Basically I can't get any increase on 192. Even when I take the old RAM out of the newer pc and put it in the old one.
    I presume it's because I need exactly the same kind of RAM that was in the pc from the start.
    I know there are some compatability problems with using certain kinds of RAM with your m'board.
    I am going to sell the 256 stick on the For Sale section but it is SDRAM so I will have trouble.
    I used to have a program that described exactly what kind of m'board and RAM is on the PC but I lost it. Does anyone know of one out there I can d'load?
    Thanks.

Comments

Advertisement