Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex Industry, Ireland: Questions

Options
  • 14-02-2005 2:31pm

Heya,
    Myself a few friends have been talking for a few years about setting up a lap-dancing club/teasers (nothing illegal) here in ireland. Its always been a bit of a joke comment, however, I can see real money to be made from it. (And from personal expierience, the lap dancing in Ireland is quite crap)

I've looked for a bit on the net for info on the legalities, and restrictions on such a venture, but I can't really find anything that explains it all that well.
    Irish Law seems to be quite vague on the subject.

regardless, could someone point me in the correct direction?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Heya,
    Myself a few friends have been talking for a few years about setting up a lap-dancing club/teasers (nothing illegal) here in ireland. Its always been a bit of a joke comment, however, I can see real money to be made from it. (And from personal expierience, the lap dancing in Ireland is quite crap)

I've looked for a bit on the net for info on the legalities, and restrictions on such a venture, but I can't really find anything that explains it all that well.
    Irish Law seems to be quite vague on the subject.

regardless, could someone point me in the correct direction?

As far as I know there is no provision in law for "lap dancing", it is a public house with a dancefloor or something. Heck, there's not even a provision for "nightclub" as an entity in Irish law.

Start by reading the requirements and law for licensed premises (and whether you need to sell beer as well or just wine, different requirements).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

why not email a few of the competitors, pretend to be a student doind an business report for uni and ask loads of questions.. apart from that its a dangerous cut throat business to be in.. literally :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Also look up peter stringfellow and read his comments on why he hasnt set up a club in dublin. It might make you think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

will there be consesions for boards members?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

fintan wrote:
    Also look up peter stringfellow and read his comments on why he hasnt set up a club in dublin. It might make you think twice.

Do you have a link or do I have to search all night?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

I sure I read it in the indo, basically he has looked at places in Dublin several times but wont set up shop here as the industry is to un-regulated. He said more than that but it was a while ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Im afraid he is right. The lapdancing clubs are run by the Latvian mafia. Set up on their turf and you canexpect a visit from their loss prevention department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

can someone please set up a teasers, that would rule. i would if i had the money. teasers isnt lapdancing so i think not much trouble from the latvians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Stingfellows set up on Parnell St. but closed down when they "could no longer meet their financial obligations" clicky.

The failure may be linked to the fact that the majority of footfall was from irate local picketers. :D

Free tip - forget this seedy sh1t, it's far from the best road to be on and won't allow you to achieve full contentment, you can do better.

Bond-007 wrote:
    Im afraid he is right. The lapdancing clubs are run by the Latvian mafia. Set up on their turf and you canexpect a visit from their loss prevention department.

Yes, on their turf, which doesn't include the whole of Ireland. And its more than the Latvian Mafia, since there's a dozen crinimal fraternities covering this area, however it is possible to stay outside of their control.
    democrates wrote:
    Free tip - forget this seedy sh1t, it's far from the best road to be on and won't allow you to achieve full contentment, you can do better.

Personally I don't see it as being seedy, since that would depend on the type of place you actually visited. I've been in dozens of places over the years, and there's no real requirement that the place be seedy, beyond that of the paying power of your customers. Irish clubs tend to be seedy because its not fully accepted in Ireland, and Irish people still look at it as being something wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Id say yea go for it. Dont worry about the "mafia" pressure just concentrate on running a business because that is what it is. Bond-007 is a very fitting name... I have worked in a few clubs and a friend of mine is currently running one in galway. I would open one myself if I found the right premises in Dublin, temple bar still doesn't really have one.
    Let me know how it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Well, first of all you'll have to take account of existing competition in the area you wish to set up in (since your location is Cork, I'll presume Cork). If theres already a few set up, I wouldn't bother. Theres most certainly a cartel controlling certain areas and theres a reason Stringfellows left Dublin.
    Personally, if I was thinking of setting up a business this industry would be the very last on the list that I'd consider entering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Personally I don't see it as being seedy, since that would depend on the type of place you actually visited. I've been in dozens of places over the years, and there's no real requirement that the place be seedy, beyond that of the paying power of your customers. Irish clubs tend to be seedy because its not fully accepted in Ireland, and Irish people still look at it as being something wrong.
    Look, I have a voracious libido like most males, but, would visiting a lap-dancing club be a constructive or destructive influence on my long term goal of being fully content in a successful marriage?

Some may claim it makes no difference, liars, because the elevation of recklessly propagated desires from dark corners of our psyche to the status of natural needs is a diabolical lie. We don't need this, it won't help us to get what we need rather, it will undermine our capacity to achive the very best we would hope for.

Not to mention how would you like it if your mother, sister, girlfriend, daughter became involved in the sex industry? Please tell me you have half of the moral fibre of a sewer rat.

If you're a true entrepreneur, you don't need to immerse yourself in this sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Fair play democrates. Imagine even telling your family that you were running a lap dancing club. Lots of places to put that constructive entrepreneurial talent. Don't waste it on something that will lead you down a dangerous path.

Imagine in 20 years time telling your own son or daughter that you were running a lap dancing club. Is that how you would want to support your family and for them to know were your money was coming from?

- Mummy what does Daddy do for a living?
    - Well son he pays women to take their clothes off and dance in front of men.

It wouldn't be a conversation I'd ever want to have happen.

Advertisement