Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropped phone in water

Options
  • 14-02-2005 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Hi I just dropped my phone in water. :mad: it was submerged for about a second before i whipped it out. I have removed the battery and sim card. Any advice on what i can do next to rescue it. It's a Nokia 7650

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

it should be ok when it dries. i dropped mine into the bog after i'd pissed in it a few weeks back (drink was involved). it's grand now, albeit a bit iffy

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭girldef

i did the same before, leave it in the hot press for 24 hours it may be ok then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Fr0g wrote:
    Hi I just dropped my phone in water. :mad: it was submerged for about a second before i whipped it out. I have removed the battery and sim card. Any advice on what i can do next to rescue it. It's a Nokia 7650

dry it out for a week in the hotpress b4 powering it, if u do this it may be ok. the lcd may be damaged permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

keep an eye on it though and back up any info you have on the phone. the phone may work ok once you've dried it out, but once the circuitry has gotten wet chances are it'll begin to corode in a couple weeks. if your phone starts to deteoriate, thats why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I did same with a T300......took covers and everything off it and left in hotpress for 2 days.,......never had a problem with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

You might need to change the battery in it but should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

Thanks for your replies.
    I will leave it somewhere warm & dry for 24 hours hopefully it will be ok. If I can get the data off it i'll be happy enough. I've had it for 2 years (of faultless service) so i'll be entitled to an upgrade. I'll be sorry to see it go though, best phone I ever had *sob*

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Most important thing is to leave the battery off it till its dry. Power going through the circuits accelerates the corrosion...

Longer you can leave it to dry the better. Was it jsut water or somthing else? If it was somthing else you could end up with a sticky residue inside when it drys out.

It was actually a mop bucket so the water was fairly dirty. It would have contained a detergent and dirt from the floor. I'm borrowing another phone at the moment so I might leave it a bit longer than 24 hrs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

keep an eye on it though and back up any info you have on the phone. the phone may work ok once you've dried it out, but once the circuitry has gotten wet chances are it'll begin to corode in a couple weeks. if your phone starts to deteoriate, thats why.
    - don't backup any data from the phone - cos that means powering it on, which could kill it. Remove the battery, and yes phones and batteries do tend to go down hill after water gets near them. Isopropyl alcohol is good for cleaning - but only if it doesn't work in a weeks time and as "kill or cure".

mop bucket - likely to have various salts in it, not good
    the inital wipe clean and tissue or better still blotting paper to draw the water out is most important, drying electic stuff under a hand dryer does more harm than good !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

Isopropyl alcohol is good for cleaning

yeah i use Isopropyl when repairing phones with water damage, it's great for cleaning inside the keypads of phones when the keys stop working due to water damage.

Ok, my phone is working again :D (couldn't wait any longer)
    The keys are are a bit iffy. Does any1 know how to remove the keypad on these phones? I would like to give them a clean

Fr0g wrote:
    The keys are are a bit iffy. Does any1 know how to remove the keypad on these phones? I would like to give them a clean
    you need a T6 screwdriver and a T5 afaicr

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Fr0g wrote:
    Your better off leaving it dry longer TBH. If its even slightly damp inside it will eat up all the copper circuits...

you need a T6 screwdriver and a T5 afaicr

Where are the screws located?

Thanks again everyone for your help and suggestions

btw I have looked through the current nokia range and can't find a suitable replacement. can you still buy these phones? apart from the size and weight I couldn't ask for better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the nokia 7610/6670/6630 are all updated versions of that phone, none of them do it for ya ??

Fr0g wrote:
    Where are the screws located?
    i'd suggest you get someone with experence with this to fix your sticky keys .

you need one of these sets..

b5_1_b.JPG

Cyrus wrote:
    the nokia 7610/6670/6630 are all updated versions of that phone, none of them do it for ya ??

I had passed over these because i didn't like the designs. The 6670 doesn't look too bad I don't like the 7610 and the 6630 looks pregnant.
    I've checked all the shops in Wexford town and they don't stock the 6670. It's not even on their system :rolleyes:

Looks like a trip to the big smoke is in order.

Advertisement