Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you take wrestling seriously?

• 14-02-2005 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Ok, this is not a flame war.

I recently saw a wrestling mag in the newsagent. The cover featured an oiled up guy reclining, dressed (stretching the term really) in leather straps.

Let's face it - it was a homo-erotic image. No problems there, people can love the penis if they want. But it got me wondering if people generally take wrestling seriously as a SPORT or do you all generally treat it as a bit of light hearted entertainment, with some appreciation for the athleticism involved?

I'm partial to good boxing bouts, can watch ultimate fighting (I think thats what its called) with all the free style wrestling/martial arts moves they employ etc and be impressed by the athleticism, skill and control they have over pain etc.

WWF and its like leaves me cold. I just find it childish and tbh am totally perplexed as to how it can be taken seriously, as it never seems to be a contest, rather a choreagraphed treaty with the winner already decided.

Maybe the poll above will answer some questions?

And remember, I'm not trolling. I'm geniunely interested in how people who profess an interest treat their 'sport'.

Why do you watch wrestling? 19 votes

Light hearted entertainment
    0% 0 votes
    It's a serious sport
    89% 17 votes
    I recognise WWF is showmanship but it's the only wrestling available on TV.
    10% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Actually - can a mod edit the poll to include 'I think wrestling is childish' ?

If you feel this shouldn't be posted here (in fairness, the wrestling forum is an unlikely place to have people voting for the new option above) feel free to move this thread to say, after hours?

Thx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

When anyone asks me this I just compare wrestling to a soap opera where everyone sorts out their problems by having a right good scrap. Everyone knows Eastenders and Corrie aren't real but people still watch because it's entertaining and they want to find out what happens next. Wrestling is the very same and no, it's not a sport, nor do we think of it as a sport. The part of wrestling that we wrestling fans take seriously is when somone gets injured. Why? Because nobody wants to see the performers getting injured when all they are trying to do is make a living while entertaining us. We also take it seriously when WWE tries to insult our intelligence with some lame storyline or when a crappy wrestler gets a shot at the big time when he has no talent. That happens all the time whenever they unearth some new big muscle freak. The best performers are often the lighter wrestlers without the freaky muscles but they often don't get the recognition or the TV time they deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Its light hearted entertainment. Even the wwE admit to that at this point. Ive watched it since the mid 80s, still enjoy it today. It shows great athleticism, tells good stories, and is fun to watch with a few buddies and beer.

Each to their own, but its my choice to like it. Id imagine most people who will respond to this topic will say likewise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

if i took it seiriously i wudnt even watch it i love the way they take the p1ss my favourite was in wcw the nwo beatin up ric flair ina feild n the anouncers sayin ''omg folks we have no idea where theyve takin ric flair we all very concered about his where abouts '' and the whole wcw camra crew there like . of when the set sting on fire n they swiched guys with a stunt man n he fell on a matris soaked in water n went out as soon as he hit it then they sprays fire extingueser for ages n they swiched back again not to menshion the big shows dad storey line that was great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Anyone would take it seriously would either have to be in the wrestling business or lead a very sad life. Of course it's light hearted entertainment. Some wrestlers are hilarious like JBL on Samckdown last week being out of it (brilliant). That could never happen in a serious sport but it actually kinda was a serious sport back when there was none no grudges or stories (late 70 and futher back)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

wow - so no-one takes it seriously? It's kinda like, I dunno, Waynes World... I don;t get those kinda movies either....

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

to be honest in the last couple of years i still watch the wrestling but have become much more interested in what happens backstage then what happens in the ring.

Real life always intrudes on industries such as wrestling and sports entertainment, there is real hatred between some of the performers backstage, and between promoters and wrestlers, and its only with the advent of programmes like the shoot interviews and the slew of wrestling autobiographies out there that these real life situations have come to light.

also wrestlers have been shot stabbed run down beaten up because the lines blur for some members of the public between who they see in the ring and the poor schmuck who plays that character

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭jesusjones

Er... at times I have I admit that I seeth when I see JBL with the belt or when I see talentless people who dont dererve their spots like Snitsky or Heidenreich for example and we have to witness their ****e first hand on T.V or PPV otherwise of course I dont but I have total respect for most people in the industry anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

When i watch it its mainly for the talent in fast paced matches or really technical matches. I usually skip the main event cause two planks are in it and only watch the lower card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

True... before we get started...

I have not been as active as I used to be, however... both Bombidol and I have been keeping an eye on these boards, and as many of you have noticed from deleted threads due to attacks from outsiders and flames from insiders.

Its topics like this that cause trouble. If there is one flame or outsider messing on this thread, or any resembeling it, I will close this thread and delete any threads in the future that may spark another flaming session.

Its come down to this being to only way to maintain order, so think before you post from now on.

Hanza

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

tolded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

What do you mean by take it seriously? I enjoy watching wrestling, I dissucus it and read about it online. I dont think its real if thats what you mean and I think anyone who buys a ticket to a wrestling event or who buys a PPV thinks its real unless there under the age of 10

...and I think anyone who buys a ticket to a wrestling event or who buys a PPV thinks its real unless there under the age of 10

Are you sure that's what you meant to say?

Hanza wrote:
    True... before we get started...

I have not been as active as I used to be, however... both Bombidol and I have been keeping an eye on these boards, and as many of you have noticed from deleted threads due to attacks from outsiders and flames from insiders.

Its topics like this that cause trouble. If there is one flame or outsider messing on this thread, or any resembeling it, I will close this thread and delete any threads in the future that may spark another flaming session.

Its come down to this being to only way to maintain order, so think before you post from now on.

Hanza

Would it not be better to simply ban a user or outsider who flames a thread instead of deleting the entire thread and messing up the boards thus achieving what any flamer or outsider set out to do, i.e. disrupting this board?
    If this takes too much time for you, I'd be happy to be a moderator for the board so that we don't have to keep seeing our posts deleted as well as those who actually cause the trouble.

Advertisement