Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6230 - movie player program?

Options
  • 14-02-2005 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for an application for my Nokia 6230 which will allow me to play .avi files in divx, xvid and any/all formats....

As far as I know it needs to be in the form of a .jar file, but I'm not sure on that.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

doubt it exists, the 6230 is severly limited by the fact the apps have to be j2me and very small......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Really? I've heard people say such thing did.. I'm sure of it...

Alternatively a converted from .avi, divx, and what not to .3gp ? The application would be prefered though :(

What's j2me ? And what do you mean they have to be small? :S

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

read up on the fone, j2me = java 2 micro edition iirc, what the apps have to be written in

and to convert em quicktime pro is the best that i've heard of.

and they have to be small because of the memory used by apps, there is a maximum application size

Gonna have a look at that later on, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

• Advertisement

Interesting, but no player unfortunitly.

I might look into the conversions later on, but I'd really rather a player :)

Cheers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Darth Bobo was right. The Nokia 6230 is a Series 40 phone. Series 40 is a closed platform. That means you CANNOT install "native" applications. Only Java games or applications can be installed. Java apps cannot access the phone's hardware so even if a super-duper player existed in Java, it would not be able to read the files from the memory card or phone memory. I hope this is clear enough ;)

Your *only* option on the Nokia 6230 is to convert a movie (eg. AVI, MP4, MOV, etc) into the 3GPP format (which has a .3gp extension). The link above to HowardForums gives you a few options to play with. Try those first. If you have any problems, post back here ;)

- Neil

Hmm... this fone seemed so dam good when I got it :(

It's in for repair at the moment (firmware upgrade, broken on/off button) but I'll certainly give the conversions a try when it's back.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

I was reading expansys forum earlier, apparently there's a NES emulator that works on it, if you could be bothered. I've used the nokia multimedia converted to change files to .3gpp, I've heard a full version of quicktime is better.

Advertisement