Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to get a Snake

• 14-02-2005 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hello my name is Ian and i'm interested in getting a snake.
    As corn snakes are supposed to be good first time snakes i will probably get one of those. I was in reptile haven last week and had a good look around.

What i want to know is, where i can get a good, not too expensive vivarium in Dublin, i saw a good 'Do-it-yourself' flat-pack vivarium from an english site.. it was a 30 gallon one and was cheap enough, but to my dismay the shipping cost was 235 pounds so thats out of the question.

On pet-bliss i saw a clear seal aquarium that i thought may be good:
    http://www.pet-bliss.com/acatalog/Clear_Seal_Aquariums.html
    But i'm not sure if i could use a heat-mat with this, if anyone knows if i can or can't use one, i'd appreciate an answer.

I have been doing alot of research but any info you guys have would be gladly accepted.
    Cheers,
    Ian.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I keep corn snakes so my advice to you is to buy a small plastic aquarium type tank.Corns need a small area to feel secure in when they are small.
    Those clear seal are fine but the ones Im talking about are only €22 in most pet shops---I think theyre called pet pals or something like that.

They are kind of oval-shaped(when viewed from above) and they do a 20 gallon(might be 20 litres) one which Ive kept my first corn in until now---Its about 18 inches now but still not too thick.
    They are also safe to use heat mats with.Bear in mind that corn snakes are North American and temperatures that are fine for humans are ok for Corns aswell--but I prefer to give them an area at a higher temperature that they can go into to digest their meals.A 10-15 watt mat is fine and wont melt the plastic.

Its only now that Im going to give it a larger cage.Its going into a 2LX18"HX18"W.
    This will do it for the rest of its life unless it grows into a monster size.
    Hope this helps.
    Richie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 elwiz

Thanks alot, i'll get searching for one of those.

Would you be able to give me a guide price on what to pay for a corn snake in Dublin?
    Cheers,
    Ian.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You`ll pay anywhere from 80-140 for a corn depending on the markings.Personally I prefer the natural colour state which are generaly the cheapest.

Thanks once again,
    Ian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Heat mats can always be problematic when it comed to plastic vivs.
    Its also worth remembering that in this country, corns (technically) will be perfectly happy with normal room tempreture. But if digestion becomes a problem (usually dosent) a basking area *may* be useful.

I found that large see-thru plastic storage boxes from the likes of B&Q brilliant!
    I got a HUGE one recently for 15 euros, its 3 foot long x 2 foot wide! All I had to do was put ventilation holes in the side and top and voila! :)

B

Cool, thats exactly what i was thinking of using because of their ability to hold humidity and temp well, i have no clue where B&Q is in dublin.. if it is in dublin.. would you know anywhere else i may get one.. homebase, atlantic homecare, woodies ??
    Ian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Best bet is b&q liffey valley shopping center (dublin)

Ah ok, cheers.

Advertisement