Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Converse Shoes

• 14-02-2005 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭The Weatherman

They used to have a bit of "rock 'n roll cred". I'd love to know what happened, i'm baffled. Did someone really mainstream and famous wear them or something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

yeh,didnt you ever see I Robot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

yeah it used to be really hard to get them.. I had a red ankle pair when I was 12 (I'm now 22)......i wore them so much and loved them!!!!! They lasted about 5 years which was pretty good then got holes in them. Am thinkin bout getting another pair.... OFFICE on henry st seem to have the best selection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I F***ING DESPISE CONVERSE!!!!!!! My mate has a pair and he keeps saying how much he loves the, because he knows I hate them! I can't stand them! especially green ones! and those weird patterns! I mean, just get a chunky pair of shoes! Like Vans or something! they're cool! but Converse are just horrible looking! I wanna puke when I see them! and it's always the rides that wear them! WHY?!?!?!

/rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Oh, didn't you hear? Nike own them now. (Actually I'm not sure when that happened, but it seems to be the only thing to explain it) So, anything by Nike is automatically trendy for the masses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

Aye, as Purple said, Nike both them out, in 2001, for about $300 million I think. They went bankrupt and had to sell it seems. Anyway, they thus automatically lost their punk cool and became mainstream, or at least in the eyes of the masses, they were already horribly temple bar kiddy anyway imo. Because they're now manufactured by Nike who are famed for their ****ty workers conditions, and so on, they've lost the anti-corporation cool. They mainly went bankrupt from trying to stay out of slave labour manufactoring and stay located in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

still, go to any punk gig, look down, and you'll see a million pairs of the things. i love them myself, they're the only shoes that i can wear straight after getting tattoo work done on my feet - everything else hurts too much but converse are nice and thin and soft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

Meh, they no longer stand for what they once did though, y'know, fight the man and all that. Personally I never liked them anyway, too thin, gimme a decent boot any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I likethe look but refuse to buy them for their nikeness. www.adbusters.org have a sneaker called the blackspot sneaker which lookspretty much the same as converse but they are mad in portugal under ethical conditions.

I have to say, I like converse, but they are not practical shoes at all.
    I spent only about 4 or so hours running around town in some and could barely walk by the end of it.
    I've had my feet frozen off while wearing them.
    It hurts when things are dropped on your feet, as they inevitably are.

Otherwise I love them. Just not gonna buy any for 55 euro...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I got a pair last summer, and I love them. But as soon as it got cold I had to stop wearing them. Bought 2 pairs of skate shoes over the winter... So warm!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭The Weatherman

Ah, that explains a few things. They're really in the height of popularity, there's lots of shiny new ones about college. They look better when they're all worn out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

apparently drummers love them cause its like playing bare foot.

they is big in Japan too, I've seen loads of people wearing them on this site previously ... mostly in summer months

http://www.style-arena.jp/english/street/harajuku/

I think they look nice but make your feet look really big ... I don't like that. They look crap laced up fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Avril Lavigne happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shivface

undergrounds are similar but much nicer cos they have patterns on they inside i think theyre more expensive tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

shivface wrote:
    undergrounds are similar but much nicer cos they have patterns on they inside i think theyre more expensive tho
    oh yeah, I have a deadly pair of undergrounds with skulls on them. they were 40 sterling, whatever that translates to in euros. warmer than converse on account of being leather, but completely unwearable when the entire top of your foot is an open wound. ouch ouch ouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I likethe look but refuse to buy them for their nikeness. www.adbusters.org have a sneaker called the blackspot sneaker which lookspretty much the same as converse but they are mad in portugal under ethical conditions.

I really want a pair, but why no high tops???

I was pissed off after buying my converse finding out that they were owned by Nike and then seeing that quite a lot of people had them. I hate the look of non high top converse though so until the blackspot sneaker is available in high top I won't be buying it.(those blackspot 2.0s look crap)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 omez

I love Converse (All Stars), always have - the high tops of course. I didn't know they were owned by Nike, but that doesn't change my view - they are still legends.They've been around since the 1920's and they are still around. 'Nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

GaRtH_V wrote:
    yeh,didnt you ever see I Robot?

was going to say that..

its to true so many ppl have just destroyed their rock n roll cred.....

but fuc$ it if you like them wear them.... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

I hate Converse never saw the draw to them They look bleedin terrible.

Omez, what are you talking about!? I know you just went to google and typed in Converse.. You prolly have no style anyways, shows if you like converse. :| You prolly got some of them Snoop Pony's limited editions. They look sad! Get a life and get some skater shoes!

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 omez

Wesley, don't hate. You copy Omez's style. Wez says today "I hate Converse so much that I'm starting to like them."... get out. I showed you the Snoop Pony's and it was all "they're so cool" - f'kin eejit.

Wez wrote:
    Omez, what are you talking about!? I know you just went to google and typed in Converse.. You prolly have no style anyways, shows if you like converse. :| You prolly got some of them Snoop Pony's limited editions. They look sad! Get a life and get some skater shoes!

I had skater shoes, now I wear Converse, unless I'm skating of course which isn't so much nowadays.

Converse grow on you, I used to hate them, then I slowly began to accept them. Once you get into real music you start to want to wear alternative clothes and Converse are the obvious choice of footwear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

im not a mad fan,i prefer vans but if other people like them its their choice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I have a really old pair of Cons, been knocking about for ages. Wore them again the other day. God, they're comfy. Probably close to threadbare, but damn comfy nevertheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

EVERYONE has them, EVERYONE.
    but theyre so dam comfy anyways isnt it just as bad NOT TO WEAR something because everyone does than TO WEAR something because everyone does!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I don't know about the fashion of them, but I've got a pair and they're damn comfy.

Omez, whatever yeh!? I created your name! I'm what you are today! You should thank me! Copy Omez' style.. leave right now! You wish someone copied you! You're nowhere near cool enough to be copied. That's all I'm sayin' Fullstop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Who buys Converse to look cool, I've had a pair of green 1s for the last 5 years and they're still good. They're comfy shoes, thats why i bought them, and before them I had various colours, but I am lookin for a pink pair

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Squirrel, you can get pink Converse (the camoflauge ones anyway) in Office in Liffey Valley.

Also http://www.officeholdings.co.uk/perl/go.pl/womens-subcategory.html?webcode=20
    (click on any of the Converse to see all the colours available).

I love my Converse, they're so comfy.
    Only trouble is when it's wet...they're by no means waterproof!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

IMHO i like really well worn converse(ie. 10 years old!) but the new ones are just a tad stiff. Vans are grand though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

They're not great if you walk everywhere tho'! The soles are too thin to absorb all the shock from your foot hitting the footpath and you get pains!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

God I love my Cons, so very very comfy. It was a little offputting when I suddenly noticed half the country was wearing them but they're so very very comfy! It bites when it rains though, they're near impossible to get off once they get wet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

sorry to drag this up again, but is there any alternative copy of them

www.blackspotsneaker.org

the V2s you'll see in the first picture are fugly, but the V1s, which you'll see if you venture further into the site are copies of low-top converse, wish they'd make a high top V1.........

EDIT: I see this was the thread where I found out about these shoes, ie. someone's already posted the link in this topic - sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

If you just look at them you can see that they are ugly shoes, they are also impractical, cold, wet etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Get some DC's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I had a pair when I was a kid, back in the eighties. i remember them being comfortable until you stand on a small stone.

When iPods came out, they where cool, just like Converse. Everyone seems to be on the bandwagon now, and the more people have them the more untrendy they become.

look at wristbands for goodness sake.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I have a purple pair that I bought in Greece ages ago, I love them, I can't walk around loads in them though because they seem to wreck my toes for some reason. I didn't know they were owned by Nike! Gosh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 pookie pixie

I got a deadly black cord pair which wernt converse in Etam in Belgium for 12 squid, so if you ever come across an Etam shop anywhere go in cause they're the exact same without the con sign obviously.I once got a denim pair with silver stars in Dunnes for (no lie) 2 quid, a euro a shoe for frigs sake!!I have a ridicioulous amout of con like shoes, have all my life but i refuse to pay 55 euro for them during the winter cause they just fall apart.Does anyones ever rip at the heels?cause all mine do which makes me wonder if i dont walk properly cause ive still to meet anyone who does.
    Another thing.....stop complaining everyones wearin em....i hate that ****,you wore them cause they wernt in fashion and now they are and you think thats not "retro" anymore,just get over yourself and buy a pair of birkinstocks and **** off.ahhhhhh it gets right up my vagina

• Advertisement

I've had mine for over a year now and they're in perfect condition. And I do a fair bit of walking in them. Have the blisters to prove it!

ahhhhhh it gets right up my vagina

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

ahhhhhh it gets right up my vagina
    Amazing pair of shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

Wez wrote:
    I F***ING DESPISE CONVERSE!!!!!!! My mate has a pair and he keeps saying how much he loves the, because he knows I hate them! I can't stand them! especially green ones! and those weird patterns! I mean, just get a chunky pair of shoes! Like Vans or something! they're cool! but Converse are just horrible looking! I wanna puke when I see them! and it's always the rides that wear them! WHY?!?!?!

/rant

i have to agree about the green thing! i like the shoes in general but i just dont like the green ones! nothing against the shoes in general i just dont think green and footwear (except mabey sandals or summat) go together

Does anyones ever rip at the heels?cause all mine do which makes me wonder if i dont walk properly cause ive still to meet anyone who does.

You are not alone, same thing happens to me, with any shoes I wear infact...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

For comfortable shoes to wear around the house, Vans slip ons are the best. Plus no laces.
    I never liked converse, too thin. I like shoes to be tight. Plus they're not practical to wear around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

not really a fan of converse myself. going shopping (clothes) with anyone who wears the lace up ones..it takes them f*cking forever to undo them and re-do them! i like the pink ones! but i wouldn't wear them. I agree Wez, I hate the green ones. i saw a girl with black ones with white circles on them..weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Have a black pair I got in the states 6 years ago for about $15. Only wore them once or twice as they seemed to make my size 8 feet look like clown feet!! :rolleyes:

Why they're mainstream?? Well Atomic Kitten wore pink pairs so maybe...?? :confused: lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Nice shoes, b!tch in the rain, prefer my golas moreso though...but gotta love 'em, now these are evil...mwah ha ha, also has anyone seen the MASSIVE cons that ms Stefani-sorry Mrs Rossdale is wearing in her new video...hmmm hot.... Anyone know where i can get them....? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Mine have just given up after over 6 years of loyal comfortable service. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement