Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20-in hand last night

Options
  • 14-02-2005 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Just wanted to see peoples opinions about this hand that knocked me out 6th last night. I'm one of the bigger stacks with about 35k in chips. Its my BB and i have KJo one limper and the small blind folds.Flops comes J55. I bet 5k or so into the pot and limper goes over the top all in for about 40k or so. I thought about it for a while and dismissed AJ or JJ or even an over pair cuz he had only limped. So I call thinking he thinks i'm at it. He turns over 55 for a flopped poker. I don't see how I can get away from this hand. Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Id let him have it incase he has the 5 and you dont need to get involved with another big stack with a marginal hand, but then I dont like KJ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

had you considered the possibility of a limpwith ace five? some people play any ace.

it's very difficult to get away from this hand if you can't put your opponent on a five and you feel he's the sort of player that would raise ith ace jack or pocket jacks.

however, there are very few people who are going to push on that board with a hand that doesn't have you beat. it has to come down to your read of a player.

i don't see how you could call when you have so many chips left to play with if you fold. what are the blinds?

By the way, Triple draw is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

You put in a bet to find out where you stood. You found out immediately. Fold there are two fives starring at you on the board and there was no pre-flop raise, he may well be at it and I think this is what you thought he was doing.

As Oscar said, weak hand and you are going up against a big stack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I'd of folded here, too many possible hands that can be ahead of you. In saying that I don't think he played it well, why not just flat call and give you a free card?

The only thing I can think of is that he wanted you to think he was bluffing with a massive overbet and enticed you to call.

It's a difficult decision but I'd of thrown them away to that raise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I limp all the time with low pairs, esp when I'm early or mid position. Pocket 55 or A5 is the obvious guess as to what he had. I would folded to that bet in a shot. The fact that he was poor enough to overbet like that would have made me think he was A5, which makes it an easy laydown. He's flopped an absolute monster. A small bet/check here would prompt a steal.

Two word summary - Bad Call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

The term "Dont go broke in an unraised pot" was specifically created for situations like this, for when you flop a good but not great hand in an unraised pot. Also, you were on the BB so you could well have a 5 (not in this specific hand though), so when he raises you have to give him credit for a big hand, ie one that can beat a lone 5. Its much better to allow yourself to be bluffed off hands from time to time, especially small unraised pots, than it is to continually make bad/marginal calls.

I think his raise is really good here, its very unlikely hes going to get paid off anyway since he has the deck crippled; so he may as well try and break biteme.
    A flat call is what you would expect a person with a 5 to do, so this is a good move in terms of deception. Unless biteme has a pocket pair there arent many cards that are going to improve his hand, so thats not really a consideration either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Your bet on the flop say to him "Hi there, I have a Jack, what are you going to do about it?"
    He replies by going all in, "Hey yourself, I have a 5, or I'm representing one at the very least. I could have a pocket pair like 88 and am putting your Jx to the test but its unlikely seeing as it's the final table and all. I'm hoping you think I'm at it, I'm not really expecting a call here but you never know..."
    Your call says, "I have a good Jack, I doubt very much you have a 5, I think you have a similar Jack with a worse kicker. Oh what's that? You have a poker of 5's? That's a very nice hand but nothing running Jacks can't beat."

Dealer deals turn and river. "Oh well I didn't get runner-runner perfect cards *this* time. I should have folded on the flop maybe."

Advertisement