Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flash MX font/language problem

Options
  • 14-02-2005 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

Hello.

I'm going off me head for the past few hours with a problem...

I'm using Flash MX on a Mac. Updating a website made in Flash. The website has been made with a (possibly custom) font called UB-Future. Quite a nice font but I'm having problems with it.

The site is in Greek and when I enter text into my fla file, static text, it displays properly in the writing field. BUT when I click out of the text field my characters aren't mapped properly. This specific font does have Greek and English characters.

I have gone so far as to check the font mapping in a font program (fontographer) and the mapping seems fine (as it is fine when I am in the text field). The problem is when I click out of the text box, the font stays in what seems to be the same font but certain characters change to other characters.

It seems to have nothing to do with my language setting on the actual computer and seems to be built into Flash. The only setting I can see in Flash with regards to this is "font mapping default" in the preferences.

How can a piece of static text on typing or pasting become unmapped when simply clicking out of the text field? The manual doesn't get into such detail unfortunately.

/cry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Sounds like a bug rather than anything you are doing wrong. What happens when you publish the fla., does the swf display the wrong characters as well?

Have you tried changing the text to dynamic text and embedding the font with it using the character settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If I publish the fla. it publishes as you see it on the fla original, ie incorrectly.

I didn't think of the dynamic text, thanks. On first inspection it doesn't flip from wrong to correct text on clicking in and out, will meddle with font embedding etc now.

However yesterday I came across this page on the Macromedia site that I think may show me my problem.
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/languages/unicode_in_flmx/unicode_in_flmx03.html

"The Macromedia Flash MX authoring tool encodes text in FLA documents using the traditional code page of the operating system running the authoring tool."

I think this means that because my computer's base language isn't Greek, it doesn't allow the Unicode setup for Greek... or somthing. Am currently trying to force my computer into Greek but that's not happening.

I'll check out your suggestions, thanks impr0v

Well the problem has been sorted.

It seems that all versions of Flash prior to MX 2004 are incompatible with any Unicode input method bar the one being run by the OS. If another Unicode set is pasted into a document it will not be converted to the intended Unicode set and will revert to your OS set. Or something.

Works fine now with MX2004. (all except the letter omega!)

OK, it didn't work actually as planned, my font was Unicode-coded wrongly so was defaulting to Lucida grande which is similar to my font, for missing characters. I gather it works on a Greek PC but on my Mac the font is all over the place.

Sorted now as I've re-coded the Unicode values in the font.

/shakes fist at PC users

Advertisement