Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sms Receiving from Overseas?

Options
  • 14-02-2005 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

I have a friend in Taiwan and she has been trying to send me Txt messages but i never received any messages she sent. I can send her messages with no problems. I have an O2 phone and also tried Vodafone. Should i be able to receive Txt messages from foreign countries?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Depends if there is an agreement between your operator and the operator she uses in Taiwan. Sometimes it is a problem if one of the operators is not on the GSM standard.

Is she replying directly to your messages? The '+' assumes that international code is '00' and this may not be the case. Therefore the message will not be sent. The international access code for Taiwan is '002'. She will need to try 002 353 8X XXX XXXX to text you. She will also need to modify your number before replying to a text that you send. Ask her to try it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

She won't have to put 002 in front of anything. He will. She doesn't have to dial her country code when sending ... she has to dial his.

Not if you read his posting! It is his friend located in Taiwan that is having problems sending messages from Taiwan to Mickger's mobile in Ireland. The '002' is not a country code, it is the international access code for dialling out of Taiwan. She needs to dial the access in front of the code for Ireland followed by his mobile. The access code for dialing out of Ireland is '00'. The country code for Taiwan is 886.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Thats why the + is there. To avoid confusion. You don't need international dialing codes.

I have all my numbers in my phone as +xxxxxxxxxx. Its very handy when traveling.

I'm with meteor, if you want I'll give you my number and your friend can try text me to see if it works. It'll only cost you 15c to text her with Meteor as opposed tyo 25c with O2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Taiwan shouldn't be a problem - I've used txt messaging to/from there on Voda without a problem. Which operator is your friend using? Also as others have said all your friend needs to do is make sure the + sign is before the number in his/her address book - thats all thats needed to get international access.

-kevin
    www.clicshare.com
    mickger wrote:
    I have a friend in Taiwan and she has been trying to send me Txt messages but i never received any messages she sent. I can send her messages with no problems. I have an O2 phone and also tried Vodafone. Should i be able to receive Txt messages from foreign countries?

• Advertisement

Thats why the + is there. To avoid confusion. You don't need international dialing codes.

I have all my numbers in my phone as +xxxxxxxxxx. Its very handy when traveling.

I'm with meteor, if you want I'll give you my number and your friend can try text me to see if it works. It'll only cost you 15c to text her with Meteor as opposed tyo 25c with O2

I too have my numbers stored in international format and this works in most countries. In Australia the access code is 0011. I might receive a call or text in the +353 format but my experience is that you can not reply to it without dialing 0011353 i.e. dialing the full international code instead of '+353' Am I correct in saying that '+' only works if the code is '00'.

The '+' convention may not work if the Taiwan is a not a GSM network.

The easist thing to do is to ask her to try sending a message using the long form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

thx guys,i am going to get her to try the 002 353 86 xxxxxxx number and c if it works as i think she was just replying to my txt using just the 00 part and not 002, ill let you know if it works

Does she have an international call bar on her phone? Might be worth checking that as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

BrianD wrote:
    Does she have an international call bar on her phone? Might be worth checking that as well.
    I got her to try the 002 thing and it didnt work also she can call me with her mobile no problems its just the txtin is the problem,its very strange,any more ideas guys?

Advertisement