Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorway driving from Dundalk to Leopardstown

Options
  • 14-02-2005 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

I am considering commuting from Dundalk to Leopardstown. I work strange hours so traffic will be a non-issue most of the time. In order to commute I am obviously going to need to buy a car and it makes sense to buy a diesel to save on fuel costs..

I am looking for the following:
    - a medium to large sized car - Golf to a Mondeo bracket...
    - Remotely pleasing to the eye
    - Pleasent to be in for over an hour at a time...
    - Good fuel economy...
    - - Diesel
    - Reliable...
    - Low servicing costs etc...
    - Decent insurance cost
    - Lower the road tax the better
    - Not sure on price - in or around 10k to 12.5k
    - Age - 1999 - 2003
    - Mileage not so much an issue as I am gonna clock up 150 a day anyway..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dunser

Hey,

Just saw your reply. I am selling a Diesel Renault Laguna 2002. It is in excellent condition 60K miles. I am the only owner. Its a great car and never gives any trouble. I used to drive from Bray to Drogheda every day up to last September. I now have a company car in my new job and thats only reason I am selling. It is really good on Juice and nippy enough for that run and has all the extras. In any renault garage at moment you would pay around €16,000 plus but I am selling mine for a bargin. Get in contact if you are interested.
    sdunne@o2.ie

Dunser

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Anyone got any suggestions..

Thanks dunser but I am not overly a fan of Renault.. The price would be a factor, surely you have something in mind..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

It would be worth your while looking for something with cruise control too, given the amount of motorway mileage involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dunser

Hey Jesus,

Its a great car honest. Price is very good 2 talking about around the 15 mark.Its got Full Renault Service history. Never given ounce of trouble. Are you interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Sorry dunser, thanks for taking time out though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

- Decent insurance cost
    - Lower the road tax the better

What age are you and how many years NCB on full license have you built up? This will give an idea of insurance

For tax and insurance, the size of the engine plays a big role. Diesel Family size cars are typically 1.9 to 2.0 liters
    impr0v wrote:
    It would be worth your while looking for something with cruise control too, given the amount of motorway mileage involved.

Good point when you'll be mainly driving on good quality empty motorways. Whatever you get, get a carkit for your phone

If you don't like Renault, you probably don't like Citroen and Peugeot? Say you're limited to 2.0 liters max, how about a Skoda Octavia (very good value for money) or any other VAG car with the same diesel engine, like A4, Golf/Bora, Seat Toledo. Lots available in your price bracket. Consider the Ford Mondeo also

Or a Jap diesel, but nothing promising springs to mind there

Another thing to bear in mind: you'll be putting on about 30-35k miles a year. Do that on a 80k miles car and you'll be up to 145k miles after two years. The car will be difficult to sell / not be worth much any more

I

Advertisement