Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Reforming

Options
  • 14-02-2005 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭

I heard a few days ago that queen are reforming, obviously without Freddie Mercury but also without John Deacon, what I want to know is, why aren't Brian May anfd Roger Taylor speaking with John Deacon, will the new queen be touring, and when is their new stuff due to be released?

Also, do you think this new queen will be any good, since they have a new singer and all. I know no-one could ever replace Freddie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

queen are NOT touring Ireland ! There is not new stuff coming out! Its just a tour with the band playing the greatest hits!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Damn, that really does suck, well I suppose they's never be as good. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 the legend

i think the reason why john isnt joining is because of his family or sumtin and paul rodgers the lead singer from free and bad company is standing in for freddie hes a good singer but he'll never be as good as freddie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

calling themselves queen is just cashing in on the name at that point. Roger Taylor never contributed much to the band.
    Foo Fighters didn;t call themselves Nirvana. This band shouldn;t call themselves Queen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 comfortablynumb

pwd wrote:
    calling themselves queen is just cashing in on the name at that point. Roger Taylor never contributed much to the band.
    Foo Fighters didn;t call themselves Nirvana. This band shouldn;t call themselves Queen.
    Roger taylor wrote "radio ga ga", thats a contribution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a dumb idea but then look at Scott Gorham and John Sykes right now...anyway Roger Taylor wrote more than a couple of Queen tracks and did alot of backing and high vocals. I was suprised at Paul Rogers getting the gig, they must have met him down the pub and one said "hey lets make some dosh and do a hits tour this summer, Paul are your doing anything....?"

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 comfortablynumb

mike65 wrote:
    Its a dumb idea but then look at Scott Gorham and John Sykes right now...anyway Roger Taylor wrote more than a couple of Queen tracks and did alot of backing and high vocals. I was suprised at Paul Rogers getting the gig, they must have met him down the pub and one said "hey lets make some dosh and do a hits tour this summer, Paul are your doing anything....?"

Mike.
    Theyve played with lots of "replacement" lead singers but they felt they had chemistry wit paul rodgers at some performance. Apparently freddie was a fan of paul rodgers.
    They said they'll try and look after ireland and scotland. I for one would really like to see "queen + paul rodgers" perform!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

john deacon has never wanted to do anything with queen since freddy died.as far as he was concerned it finished with freddie.
    correct me if i am wrong but i dont think he appeared with the band when they did some songs with goerge michael back in '93.anyway if he did or didnt paly with them the point was he was uncomfortable with the idea of queen.

as regards to taylor not getting involved in input.this is rubbish.as someone pointed out he wrote radio ga ga and other album tracks as well.surely queen most be one of the few bands to have had hit singles from every member of the band individually.
    they were a "real" band.

roger taylor ranters:
    fair enough. Regard my statement as my opinion rather than a fact. I consider the songs roger taylor wrote to be rubbish. Or offensive. "I'm in Love with my Car" is hardly the most aesthetic experience that will pass through your ears. Providing backing voclas is not a significant contribution either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

John Deacon's songs are the worst ever, who wants to hear bass as the major instrument in a song?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

eh i do, some songs with a cool bass line are the best, look at rory gallaghers bullfrog blues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Well it's pretty much the same as the Doors touring again with yer man from the Cult or Led Zeppelin reforming with just page and plant and someone else (which was basically just a page and plant tour they decided to call a Zeppelin reformation)

Not a good idea imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

There is a hint of desparation in Brian May, I suppose. He is so talented that he could have teamed up with virtually everybody and just move on.

But he seems to be stuck in this "where can I find another Freddy?" thing.

Freddie Mercury is unbeatable - plain simple. Thats the reason why no one dared to step in (until recently that is).

Paul Rodgers or even Mariah Carey. "Fans" at that stage just want to catch some of the live spirit that surrounds the band and most of them dont care who is fronting Queen because it will never be Queen again without that charismatic Freddie Mercury. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Morrigan

pwd wrote:
    roger taylor ranters:
    fair enough. Regard my statement as my opinion rather than a fact. I consider the songs roger taylor wrote to be rubbish. Or offensive. "I'm in Love with my Car" is hardly the most aesthetic experience that will pass through your ears. Providing backing voclas is not a significant contribution either.
    I love "I'm in love with my car"- As a curio... i agree it's not high art :) Roger wasn't the best song-writer but he did contribute some of Queen's hits-
    Radio Ga Ga, A Kind of Magic, Heaven for Everyone, These are the Days of Our Lives.

This is just an observation, mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 FG

elvis2002 wrote:
    John Deacon's songs are the worst ever, who wants to hear bass as the major instrument in a song?

Queen's biggest ever selling single worldwide(bigger than Bohemian Rhapsody) was "Another One Bites the Dust" written by......John Deacon.

Its fair to say that it's doubtful that May, Taylor and Deacon would ever have made it from day one without Freddie but throughout the 20 years with Freddie they were very much 75% of Queen. May and Mercury did write the hits during the 70's but they did very much have to call on Taylor & Deacon during the 80's. In my opinion Taylor's contribution was immense, if anyone has seen any bootleg videos of concerts from the '70's(especially Japanese ones) one only has to see the audience reaction when Roger takes the mic for I'm in Love with my Car, it was absolutely electric. His solo stuff also was by far the very best.

As far as the reuninon tour goes well they did wait 14 years since Freddie's death, what did everyone want them to do hang around until another band member died? It's their songs, they can do what they want to do with them at this stage.

Story goes John Deacon wasnt even asked to join the tour....................

I'm in Love with my car is about going off with Call Boys.
    I like "You're My Best Friend " by John Deacon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 FG

PR cancels solo-tour!
    Paul Rodgers has cancelled all his solo shows for 2005 to add concerts to the Queen tour.

First result of this decision is the announcement of two Irish dates:

Friday May 13, Odyssey, Belfast
    Saturday May 14, The Point, Dublin

Source: paulrodgers.com

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Hi all,
    There are still tickets available for Queen+PR at The Point.
    I've never been there - can anyone tell me what it's like? I'm getting on a bit (Queen fan since the 70s :eek: ), so don't fancy battling it out in the standing area.

How far back is the tiered seating - can you see all right from there?

Advertisement