Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

se v800 3g compatibility

Options
  • 14-02-2005 9:56pm

hi, im thinking of buying a sim free sony ericsson v800,
    the people in the shop said that the 3g services will not work
    with my old sim card and that i wopuld have to sign up to a contract and get a 3g sim card.
    but i have read somewhere on this forum that with a little tweaking of the phones
    settings that it will access the video downloads etc.
    im looking for some confirmation as to who is right!
    i really like the phone but would be reluctant to buy it if i couldnt use the 3g features
    thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

afaik itll be locked to vodafone, but thats irrelevant cos they're the only ones wit a 3g ntwork. Are you rtg or bill pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

You can download videos etc on the 2G network, so with any VF SIM this phone will let you do that when connected to the 2G network. You cannot however connect to the 3G network without a "3G" SIM from Vodafone. So if you want the higher speeds and video telephony (etc) then you will need to get a new SIM from VF. If you are RTG, then it wont happen as 3G RTG SIMs dont exist yet.

One thing to bare in mind is even with a 2G SIM the phone might be more annoying to use than its worth. People here (you'll have to search for the thread) have had problems with the Nokia constantly trying to use the 3G network when in 3G coverage but then reporting no network access as the 2G SIM is denied access to the 3G network. When I had one of these for testing, even selecting the 2G network the thing would constantly notice the 3G signal and change back. I dont know if it's possible to force it to only ever use the 2G network.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

there will be the z800i that should be sim free
    details in one of the other threads

cheers guys, i was in the carphone warehouse today and got a demonstration of the
    v800, put my own ready to go sim card in. the phone accepted it ok but
    i couldnt make any calls, texts and couldnt access wap/gprs
    either. the guy in the shop said i should wait for vodafone to release
    3g r.t.g. sim cards but he didnt have a clue as to when or
    even if they were going to do that.

I have a 6630 here which I locked on 2G using a Symbian app. It works fine from what I can see. But I'm on billpay with a 3G SIM anyway, I just want to save some battery life by leaving it on 2G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Anytime you are in 3G coverage, the phone will try to ignore the 2G network and lock onto the 3G network. In order to lock onto the 3G network, you need a 3G Sim.. As RTG customers cannot get a 3G Sim card, you will have serious troubles accessing any services while in 3G coverage areas..

Karsini wrote:
    I have a 6630 here which I locked on 2G using a Symbian app. It works fine from what I can see. But I'm on billpay with a 3G SIM anyway, I just want to save some battery life by leaving it on 2G.

im getting a 6630 on bill pay tomorow, does this app come with it. If not any chance of sending it to me or linking, cheers. I have a V800 aswell so id like to be able to use the 6630 with a rtg sim. I cant get the V800 to stay locked to 2g so the 6630 is my only hope

The app doesn't come with it. The filename is OperatorFtdwk39v7.SIS. I got it from someone on here, but its only 97kb so I'll send you it if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

The post is at ...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2355801&postcount=21

I use the app also and it works fine. General connectivity (phones calls and data) is more stable when 3G is *not* used :)

- Neil

i know im getting very picky now but dont suppose anyone has come accross anything similar for the v800? just wondering, cheers for the 6630 link btw.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    i know im getting very picky now but dont suppose anyone has come accross anything similar for the v800? just wondering, cheers for the 6630 link btw.
    Not me anyway. The only ones I know how to lock on 2G are the Nokia 6630 and Moto V980.

Advertisement