Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High Court Throws out Speed Case

• 14-02-2005 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

Excellent News!

The High court chucked out speeding prosecutions on the basis that Garda laser guns provide no permanent record and the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) decided not to continue with a case in the High Court today I am happy to say.

I am fed up with our leather clad, mustachioed Boyz in Blue hiding behind bushes, holding their tools in their hands, and pretending they are having an effect on road safety when they alledge someone was over the speed limit. These time wasting revenue gatherer's are normally to be found on safe dual caraigeways/motorways and anywhere miles away from an accident blackspot so they can notch up some scores.

The level of fatal accidents show how useless their type of "policing" is.

Until I see them parked outside of a pub breathalysing drivers/stopping loony cyclists and actually enforcing the Traffic laws in an appropriate place I welcome the courts decision.

Bee

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

Bee wrote:
    Excellent News!

I am fed up with our leather clad, mustachioed Boyz in Blue hiding behind bushes, holding their tools in their hands,

Listening to Village People again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

An absolute disgraceful decision by the judge in question. As far as I am concerned, these are people who blatantly break the law and put my life and others in peril.

It is so Irish. We as a 'tribe' have this inate trail where we can't abide by laws, love breaking them and have sneaking admiration for those who do. Quite often we will go to great lengths to circumnavigate them. However, when we get caught we won't accept it, the laws don't apply to us in our special cases and we refuse to accept we are wrong and accept punishment without a fight. Any avenue or technicality will be investigated to see if we can get off the hook. Yet the "slaughter on the roads" continues unabated and these people contribute to it. Take your punishment and get on with it.

As far as I am concerned, these people who challenge drink driving convictions or speeding tickets are by an large guilty and no worse than the scum who rob you at needlepoint. At least, you can say that these people are driven by desparation while drink-drivers and speeders carry out premeditated acts motivated by selfishness and complete lack of consideration to the community.

I sincerely hope that this loophole will be closed up asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

I'm not happy with the decision but I am sure the judge was only doing his job by upholding the letter of the law. of course people shouldn't be speeding but they are entitled to have the law applied as it is and not as how someone thinks it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Is it me or do these cases (breathalyser etc.) get thrown out more often in Ireland? The Supreme Court often examines the legality of bills and they can't be challenged thereafter - a Framework Bill for traffic offences should be put in place in which the fines etc. are specified by subsidiary bills but the actual offense and required proof is clearly laid out so a district judge can't throw out 50 cases wasting everyone's time (including the garda who has to show up to attest to each case) and get his/her name in the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

BrianD wrote:
    An absolute disgraceful decision by the judge in question. As far as I am concerned, these are people who blatantly break the law and put my life and others in peril.

The majority of so called speed tickets have had demonstrably zero effect on the ongoing road carnage. They are simply revenue collectors of the worst hypocritical sort.

Until I see the Gardai parked outside of a pub breathalysing drivers/stopping loony cyclists and actually enforcing the Traffic laws in an appropriate place I welcome the courts decision.

Bee ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Enduro

If they were caught speeding, then the Gardai were self evidently enforcing the traffic laws in an approprite place. If the cops didn't catch anyone speeding then you might have a more valid point, but you are moaning about them enforcing the traffic laws and complaining that they don't enforce the traffic laws at the same time :confused:

Advertisement