Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

American stereo system?

Options
  • 15-02-2005 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question im sure it wont be too hard for people here to answer...

Will a car stereo bought in the US work alright over here? I know Japan use different kind of radio frequencies to Europe - is this the same over in the states?

Reason I ask is I know someone over there at the moment coming back next Monday and Im wondering if I can save a few bob getting him to pick me up a new stereo for the motor over there, what with the cheap dollar n all that...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

cmon someone knows!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't know about the connections but I have heard that some of the frequences or frequence ranges here cannot be picked up by these stereos.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The connections are not exactly the same, so you have to do a little bit of re-wiring, but that is not a big deal.

The problem with American radios is that they only pickup uneven frequency increments. For example:
    89.1, 89.3, 89.5, 89.7 etc

Stereos over here pick up at least the even increments in between:
    89.1, 89.2, 89.3, 89.4 etc (they usually go even further: 89.1, 89.15 etc).

So, on your American radio (I know all this first hand unfortunately) you won't get 104.4, 103.8 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I believe that there are some car audio sytems which can be modified to adhere to either the US or european tuning increments, either by some kind of switch or jumper or increasingly (since a lot of these things are implemented in software these days) some kind of magic button pressing ritual.

You'd be better off trying to find some kind of dedicated car audio/ICE forum somewhere I think.

Advertisement