Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MPV's with sliding rear doors

Options
  • 15-02-2005 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Looking for a MPV with sliding rear doors to cart Mrs Claus and 3 of the elves round in.
    I know the Ford Galaxy & the Chrysler Voyager fit this requirement but are there any others ?

Also, based on the above two would i be right in thinking that the chrysler tends to hold it's value better than the ford ?

Cheers

Santa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 erin

Peugeot 807
    Citroen Evasion

Personnally prefer Renault Espace :D but no sliding door

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Actually I've just realised that the Galaxy doesn't have sliding doors....I was told it has but looking at pictures on the web it clearly doesn't.

The 807 seems too expensive and i don't think the evasion is sold in ireland as i can't find it on citroens irish website.

Thanks for info anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The Citroen C8 has sliding doors I think, and from what I remember (could depend on the trim level), they can be opened using the remote control. well cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the Hyundai Trajet has a sliding door. The Kia Sedona has a rear sliding door. Both are way cheaper than the Voyager but the interiors are very low rent.

The old model Toyota Previa also had a sliding rear door and I think the current model has one too.

The only other big MPV I can think of with a sliding door is the VW Caravelle which is based on the VW Transporter van.

Also worth checking out is the new VW Caddy which is available as a medium size MPV with rear windows and I think it has a sliding door but again it is more van than car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Are the Toyota Sienna, Honda Oddessey and Nissan Van sold in EU?. They have R sliding doors. They are all about the same size as the LWB Chrysler/Kia
    the LWB Chrysler is underpowered with anything less than a 3L engine.

My bro was telling me that one of these Ford MPV's was made by Seat, T/F?.

And judging by comments elsewhere Renaults are to be avoided this time of the year.

• Advertisement

The Ford Galaxy, VW Sharan and Seat Alhambra are the same vehicle but have slightly different styling to each other. All are built by VW but as already mentioned don't have a sliding door. The best engine is the 1.9 Tdi, the Seat is the cheapest of the three.

The best Voyager selling in Ireland is the turbo diesel, not too many 3 litre petrol or LWB ones around here.

Honda never sold the Oddessey here but you can pick up a grey import, they sold the Streem alright which is based on the Civic platform. This has now been replaced by the FR-V which is smaller than a Voyager and doesn't have a sliding door either.

The Toyota Sienna, not too sure about this, there is the Avensis Verso (no sliding door) which is a mid range MPV and then there is the Previa which is about the same size as the Voyager.

Nissan don't sell alot of MPVs here, the last one they had was the Serena which was based on a commercial van and was absolutely horrible especially the 2.3 diesel. 0 - 60 in mins not secs. Taxi drivers loved them though as they seated seven.

Very few MPVs on offer these days with sliding doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

Hyundai Trajet does not have sliding doors, the Toyota Previa does

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

bazz26 wrote:
    The Ford Galaxy, VW Sharan and Seat Alhambra are the same vehicle but have slightly different styling to each other. All are built by VW but as already mentioned don't have a sliding door. The best engine is the 1.9 Tdi, the Seat is the cheapest of the three.

They also have consistently been at the very bottom of reliability surveys for years, best avoided altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

bazz26 wrote:
    The best Voyager selling in Ireland is the turbo diesel, not too many 3 litre petrol or LWB ones around here.

Honda never sold the Oddessey here but you can pick up a grey import, ....

The Toyota Sienna, not too sure about this, there is the Avensis Verso (no sliding door) which is a mid range MPV and then there is the Previa which is about the same size as the Voyager.

Nissan don't sell alot of MPVs here, ......

Very few MPVs on offer these days with sliding doors.

Interesting, I cannot think of one that does not have sliding doors here. Many with electric opening ones at that, incl the back lift-gate.

"Crossover" vehicles like the Volvo's and Accura based Oddessey have 4 normal doors.

What sized TD, Manual 5sp I'll assume?. on the Voyager. (how about a 3.3V6 or 3.8V6 AWD?)

The Toy Sienna 3.5L is one based on the Camry running gear, very nice vehicle. Not the Previa I think as the Sienna is 210" long I believe. btw, where is the engine located in the Previa

Nissan Quest 3.5L is also a very nice vehicle, unusual styling however, but great price relative to the Toy and Honda.

re the Voyager, would I recommend it. Don't know, I have had no experience with the EU version. I have a 3.3V6 LWB with bench seats rear and mid. The mid ones have built in child seats, which is great for children, but can be a wear on In-laws on long journeys as they tend to be a little hard. However, it has a large flat floor with the seats out, which is great, if you do not fee like hauling a trailer with it. The one reason I did not buy the SWB is there is only 8~10" between the rear seat and the gate, so no real room for bikes, trikes, luggage, tote-boxes with the seat fully back. Plus I have no real desire to have anyone that close to the rear of the vehicle, should you be rear ended. (put your bull bars at the back).
    Teh other reason I did not purchase the more reliable Toy or Honda is they command a $5K to $10K premium on the US item about here.... and I figure I can repair most problems that occur, so far I have been correct, even added a few upgrades.
    Front suspensions tend to be soft and rubber bushings wear out fast, faster on ROI roads I'd suspect. However, if anything like the US version, I'd suspect they are a "worker". Crude but effective. More truck than car, all of them.

btw, Honda have entered the Mid Size truck arena here;
    http://automobiles.honda.com/new_models/landing.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

There's the opel sintra, it was based on one of GM's american offerings, it's rare, unloved and hence very very cheap second hand.
    http://www.allcarpictures.com/pics/opel/sintra/opel-sintra-003.jpg

The Peugeot 806/Citroen Synergie/Fiat Ulysse
    http://www.peter-waugh.co.uk/cs3.JPG
    recently replaced by the much larger Peugeot 807/Citroen C5/Fiat Ulysse featuring electric sliding doors
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/lib/img_draw.php?image=/home/www/honestjohn.co.uk/html/uploads/roadtestimgs/72_3.jpg&width=150

Chrysler voyager as mentioned before
    http://www.channel4.com/4car/media-legacy/featpics/specials/ftvoy1.jpg

The Toyota Previa (not sure where the engine is mounted)
    http://www.channel4.com/4car/media-legacy/cars/4tests/toyota/newprev1.jpg
    which relpaced the older toyota previa (definitely mid engined) but with a sliding door on one side only
    http://www.channel4.com/4car/media-legacy/cars/4tests/toyota/previa1.jpg

The Kia Sedona
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/graphics/2002/04/26/emfkia27.jpg

There are other van based offerings such as the Nissan Serena (avoid at all costs), VW Caravelle, Mercedes V-Class, Fiat Scudo, Citroen Berlingo (supposed to be really good for what it is) and the list goes on.

• Advertisement

Stay well clear of the Opel Sintra, they were based on a GM car sold and built in the US a couple of years ago. They were a nightmare and were removed from the Opel range about 2 years after going on sale. I think they sold about 10 of them here in that time. Opel dealers turn off the lights and lock the doors when a Sintra pulls into their forecourt. It also performed bad in the Euro NCAP tests back then.

Quote from Honest John:
    "American built, so trim not up to European standards. Not especially different or particularly attractive. Blitzed in the market place by the Chrysler Voyager. Poor two-and-a-half star performer in NCAP crash tests (3 points front impact; 15 points side impact). Came rock bottom in 'R' reg J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Survey and rock bottom again in 'S' and 'T' reg J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Survey. So few Sintras sold that parts are now 'special order' and non-returnable. NOT RECOMMENDED."

Advertisement