Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which provider

Options
  • 15-02-2005 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭

hey how's it going?

last summer i had an 086 phone number with 02 and i decided to buy a nokia6600 on meteor pre-pay. Now my experience with meteor's coverage is pissing me off royaly (to the point where i can't get coverage in my kitchen)

My phone is unlocked and i tried a vodafone sim in it so i got full coverage in my kitchen.

But i'm stuck on which provider to go for vodafone or O2? they are both very similar on pre-pay but which has the better service for the nokia6600 eg. gprs(or however it's spelt)?

how do i go about moving from meteor? do i have to go to the meteor shop where i bought the phone (in dublin, long auld trek :) ) or can i go to the vodafone/O2 shop in bray and tell them i want to move to their service?

ohh yeah i forgot to mention i'd like to keep my 086 number.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

IIRC you just walk into whatever provider you want and theyll switch you over.
    It all depends on what you use your phone for. Vodafone have the 100 texts for 6 euro bundles which are handy if you like texting but o2 have a tendency to be cheaper.
    When it comes to pre-pay vodafone and o2 are pretty much the same prices really

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

GaRtH_V wrote:
    When it comes to pre-pay vodafone and o2 are pretty much the same prices really

thanks for the reply about walking into the provider that saves me 3.80 in a dart fare :)

vodafone and O2 are generally the same at pre-pay, just wondering do they both offer full GPRS for pre pay? as meteor didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

On prepaid O2 offer full GPRS, including an ISP APN but they are extremely expensive at 3c per kb.

Vodafone only offer a WAP APN on Ready to Go, but its charged at 2c per kb.

To help you decide which operator to choose, look at the numbers you call or text often. For me I spotted that virtually everyone I knew was on Vodafone so I'm now with them on billpay - with O2, daytime calls to Vodafone are 63c/min, ouch. Was with Meteor for a while but they drove me up the wall.

yeh it's a tough one as there's a lot of 087 numbers in my phone book, but i'd like to use GPRS just to have a wee tinkle with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

to the point where i can't get coverage in my kitchen

I get this on O2 aswell!

kazzer wrote:
    I get this on O2 aswell!
    Depends on where you are really. In my area O2's signal is marginally better.

i think i'll go to vodafone,

just one more question though.

I have like 16 euros credit will i lose that if i move over to vodafone?

Yes, unfortunately.

Karsini wrote:
    Yes, unfortunately.
    ahh well, i'll wait until i use my credit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Is o2 not a lot cheaper? Im with Vodafone, and 13c per message is a bit of a joke.no?

i don't really text people that often, i find calling them keeps you better in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

Meteor do have an ISP service, i use the opera browser on my nokia 6600 and i'm with meteor!!!
    Its pure fast as well!
    Also, if and when you do switch, you should sell your sim card, given its got free texts for life, someone may be interested in it!

i was told you can't use grps on pre pay on meteor.

if i want to keep my old number i need to keep sim card no?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

Cremo wrote:
    i was told you can't use grps on pre pay on meteor.

if i want to keep my old number i need to keep sim card no?
    Well i'm on prepay and i have it, its just a matter of emailing them and being patient until they sort it!

Ya you have to keep the sim, what i meant and should've made clear is u could get a new number!

Advertisement