Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parts - Sun roof

Options
  • 15-02-2005 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Sun roofs cost too much, well they cost enough that I'd rather do it myself,
    Does anyone have a good link to a site that will sell the sun roof glass and fixings ?
    thinking of practicing on a car thats due to be scrapped and then do my own. prices quoted were ripoff.

Thanks
    Fionn

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Forget about it - you [or any other aftermarket installer for that matter] will just wreck the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Installing a sunroof is no simple task and a DIY job means leaking and rust are inevitable. Even aftermarket professional work has been known to leak. Best avoid this type of agro.

I would only buy a car with a factory fitted sunroof.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

ahh lads, the sealant around the roof will prevent leakage, so long as you stay within it's expansion zone, ie cut the roof to within 5cms accuracy and the rubber will expand to seal.

Anyway there is a mate of mine scrapping his car soon so I was going to run a test on that,see how it goes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@ Fionn - if many professional windscreen replacement centres cannot always properly seal a new windscreen then what hope (no offence!) has someone who has pretty much no experience got of sealing a sunroof (which will be on a relatively flexible surface).

5cms accuracy? - thats not very accurate in my opinion as my gut feeling is that if I can fit my fist through it, then water is likely to pass through!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

thanks KB,

I believe I meant to write 5mms , and I think that if leaks are discovered then they should be patched as you go. but perhaps I will get window flaps for the moment.

cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement