Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Divx Player

Options
  • 15-02-2005 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hey. i'm trying to get my hands on a decent Divx/DVD player. I've tried 3 already.

1. SVP.co.uk. They offer a Divx player - the DK 339 - for about 80 yo yos. Unfortunatley about 60% of my movies play back leaves a lot to be desired. Playback is jerky - on consulting numerous forums i found out this has something to do with the bitstream and whether its packed or unpacked. There is a programme to unpack the bitstream available on the net but this involves re-burning my divx and xvid files which i dont want to do cos i'll be doign that till xmas.

2. Lidl. unfortunatley this has the same problem as no. 1 above. v. jerky playback. I actually think this is a clone of the svp.co.uk player (except for the card readers)

3. Tesco. Tescos did a goodmans dvd player b4 xmas which i think is the best option of the lot. I didnt pick one up for myself at the time but does anyone know if these players are being sold elsewhere?

Anyways if anyone knows of a decent divx player please let me know.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cyberspider

richersounds.ie do a region free Pioneer DV470. For €150 I found it quite good, with a really good spec. It plays vitrually anything I throw at it. Although from What I have read it does not support sacd/dvd-audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HOB-it

thanks. whats the playback like of divx? have you had any audio sync problems

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I have a Kiss DP 1000
    I have a Philips one
    and I have a Targe one from Lidl (actually they are back on sale there this thursday i think)

The Targa one is the best believe it or not, i'd stay away from the Kiss one though it was 200 euro and never really delivered, new firmware or otherwise

Note the Targa one is the home entertainment sys they do with the built in VCR, not the one for 79 euro that you mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HOB-it

hi stoner. actually the one i got for 79 yo yos had a built in card reader. its funny cos the lidl website advertised last weeks player as the targa one but it actually turned out to be a different one - stream something or other. i found lidl sometimes use old pictures on their website for different players. any ideas what chipset is in the targa player - is it the mediatek chipset?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

Argos do a Phillips divx player can't remember the model number for less than €100 not sure which chipset it is though you could search for it.

I have a Yamada 6600 and this suffers from the packed bitstream problem though i always check any file with the mpeg4modifier program first.

• Advertisement

HOb it I'll check it out tonight for you, the philips one is only 89 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

superquinn have one with 5.1 speakers for 50euro
    cant go wrong at that price.

ivce had one since before xmas and havent had any problems at all.

not sure about this packed bitstream thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

the best divx dvd player would actually be a chipped xbox with Xbox Media Center Installed

RE*AC*TOR
    This was the first Divx player i ever had, maybe i had it set up wrong , but it was muck, myself and a friend of mine got our x boxes chipped and they were terrible. thats why i got the Kiss one , and it too was a waste.
    Maybe a media centre PC would be best as you can keep it up to date. And maybe our chipped units were dodgy but i would not recommend the x box, plus you have all the c-rap about what drive is in it, the samsung drive will play this type of media the other wont etc they are not worth the hastle IMO. I guess the guy just wants a handy decent player.
    As a halfway measure I have been looking at a number of units, i posted here about em yesterday I'm unsure about the quality etc and was looking for opinions on em , but at 300-400 euro they could be the biz, particularly the ones that can record directly to DiVX from the TV.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=226865

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

well i don'tt know the specifics of how you set the xboxes up - but mine - with the current version of XBMC plays absolutely everything - without any problem - I couldn't be happier. if you still have your xbox - I'd advise giving it another go.

• Advertisement

fair enough, i dont think the best mod job was done on it anyway, any the SW would be a year old at this stage anyway

Advertisement