Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Income from rent

Options
  • 15-02-2005 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i know you're aloud to earn 7600 from rent before its taxed.

what if 2 people own the house, 50/50. and the anual rent comes to say 9000.

would this be tax free, as each party's rental income would be 4500?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You would have to check the Revenue Website www.revenue.ie under "rent-a-room scheme". My initial impression is no. It's €7,600 per dwelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I may be wrong, but I thought I saw a post on boards recently about this very topic. Somebody suggested that the €7,600 included any money collected for bills .. i.e ESB, heating etc.

Again, I may be wrong .. it doesn't seem to be right to include costs in that figure. I guess the link that Victor supplied above would have the full details.

[Edit - a few minutes later]
    I had a scout for that thread, alas, cannot find it. But did find this thread about registering which might be of use to ye.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=206968&highlight=rent+room

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bubby wrote:
    I may be wrong, but I thought I saw a post on boards recently about this very topic. Somebody suggested that the €7,600 included any money collected for bills .. i.e ESB, heating etc.
    Yup. I think the idea is to stop people fudging things by charging extra for every last thing - ESB, gas, oil, phone, cable TV, use of TV, use of crockery .... and hence minimising rent.

The limit of €7,600 also stops people having say 52 people paying rent in their [strike]hotel[/strike] house.

There is also the point "you are getting a tax break, there will be conditions".

Advertisement