Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wifi Broadcast

• 15-02-2005 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

I have been looking for some information on how WIFI broadcasts. The instruction book that comes with the access point says that it broadcasts for a 300foot radius, but it doesnt state wether this broadcasts 360degress to 300 foot or just on one plain. The reason I ask this is that I have an access point in my place ( linksys wap54g and a similar Belkin product ) and they both broadcast perfectly across the downstairs, but as soon as you move upstairs the signal drops and dies. The building i'm in is old. so it could be the material and that the radio waves can't pass through or it could be that WIFI only broadcasts on the one level. If anyone knows how wifi broadcasts or a solution to get wifi into the upstairs I would be gratful.

Thanks

Jon

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If they are configured in a particular plain at all then I would guess that it would be the hoziontal one. But you should be able to angle the arial/ areial/ pointy thing that sticks out the back of the router so that it has a better range on the vertical.

I dont have any problems with my router on the middle floor of the house and getting a signal either next floor up or downstairs out in the garden, but then it is one of these new cardboard walled houses so they are almost not there at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

It depends on the antenna. The one you have is omni directional but in reality the bulk of the signal is fired out left and right. Try laying the antenna flat (should be hinged) and see if that makes a diferance. From the sounds of it its the build of the house though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭happydude13

It depends entirely on the antenna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭JBoy

The arial is the run of the mile ones that are attatched to the wap54g, in the manual that comes with it the word omni directional doesnt appear anywhere , does that mean I can assume that they are working on one plain - the horizontal ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Im familiar with the unit and it is an omni antenna (a little straight up pole that tapers slightly). It dosn't operate strictly on the horizantal but it does favour it. Like I said tilt it and see if it makes a diferance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭JBoy

cheers rev - will test the unit out tommorow and tell you the out come .

Advertisement