Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screwed by a driving tester!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

of course I'm going to appeal... I may not have a snowballs chance in hell, but I might as well try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

rymus wrote:
    of course I'm going to appeal... I may not have a snowballs chance in hell, but I might as well try
    You only need to put a reasonable doubt into the mind of the judge to get the test result put aside and a retest free of charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Bond-007 wrote:
    You only need to put a reasonable doubt into the mind of the judge to get the test result put aside and a retest free of charge.

What kind of fantasy world are u living in?

Best of luck Rymus!

no fantasy world at all I can assure you.. I'm simply a born again optimist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

inspiring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

rymus wrote:
    I was told to turn right and so put on my indicator, having stopped at the red light. The green arrow that allows traffic to go straight ahead lit and the red stayed lit so I stayed put. There were about 5 vehicles behind me and as I sat at the red & green arrow filter light for up to a minute, nobody beeped or flashed me. The green arrow went out, as did the red and the full circular green came on at which point I turned right. I was given a grade 3 for not breaking a red light?!? Go figure!
    ....So anyone that's taking their test in Cork in the near future... you have been warned! There's a tester out there that doesn't know how to work traffic lights.

Perhaps that explains why at similar lights at the Bus Station on the quays and Turners Cross, about 60% of motorists routinely turn right even when the slip light is red, thus endangering the lives of the pedestrians on the pedestrian crossing who have the right of way. I just thought Cork drivers were the worst in Ireland and couldn't drive. Seems like the blind is leading the blind. You have a very definite case there.

But on that note why are Cork Corp and Councils persisting in building so many of these dangerous junctions to start with? I understand the the problem at the juntion in Turners Cross is that the road is so narrow, and that at the bus station delaying the traffic going straight would cause tailbacks, but surely its simple common sense to assume that if the light for going right is red, then you shouldn't turn right?

My suggestion is to use the traffic cameras that they have installed in London for people breaking red lights on these junctions and fine and penalty point offenders the same as a speeding offence. Literally hundreds would be caught in the initial few days and people would learn very fast to obey traffic lights.

I notice another common ploy in Cork is to ignore the lights altogether if there is nobody else at the junction, and to drive straight through the red light. This is a bad habit rather than dangerous, but its very common. I've seen it on the Little Island flyover - people literally ignoring the red light when coming from the Glountohane side - even where there is incoming traffic with the green light indicating right with the right of way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Oh by the way, did you get back a copy of your test sheet?

Under which category was your Grade 3 fault marked?

progress at traffic lights & yes I have the test sheet

Any idea when you are up in court about it yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

My test is coming up.

I might have to do the "rymus junction". What if I say, in a casual way, outloud something like "I see the green light for ahead, but for my turning right the light is red" The whole talking outloud thing is what you do during advanced driving aparently

Further, to avoid any other problems what if I record the test, wireless camera stuck onto windscreen facing the road, above mirror where it cant be seen, video only, not audio cos that would be illegal

• Advertisement

You would have to tell the tester and most probably he would refuse to take you out.

If like me you find yourself sitting at a green arrow waiting to turn, I'd actually point out why youre sitting there to the tester just to make sure they don't think you're sitting at a green light cos youre an idiot.

Then again, if the tester is an idiot (and hopefully you wont get the same guy I got) theres very little you can do. It all hinges on the testers ability to work out exactly how traffic lights work.

I'd be very wary of recording, as bond said you'd have to tell the tester your reasons for recording the test and they could just refuse to go out, net loss to you - €40. I think theres an option for your driving instructor to sit in on the test with you but I'm not sure if thats available yet. Overheard a few testers talking about it not so long ago. Best of luck with the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I was suggesting recording

- the traffic outside (not the inside of the car!)
    - video only (because audio recording without consent is likely covered with anit-telephone tapping law)

Advertisement