Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

thinking lions

• 15-02-2005 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

as we look at one of the best 6ns in ages just starting to think of lions, some one might have already done this but he is some i think should definately get on the squad:

Malcolm O'Kelly
    Paul O'Connell
    Brian O'Driscoll
    Gavin Henson
    Jason White
    John Hayes
    Graham Roundtree
    Johnny Willkinson
    Ronan O ' Gara
    Cris Cusiter
    Jason Robinson
    Shane willams
    Jordan Murphy
    Josh lewsey
    luies moody
    Anthony Foley

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Why Willkinson at the moment? He's still injured and would even struggle to make an English side at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Wilkinson although still injured would walk back into the English team. You only had to witness the quality of Hodgsons kicking on Sunday to see that.
    When hes fit and on form he is still one of the best in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think Woodward has said that anyone not playing in the 6 nations will find it hard to get their place on the Lions, but he was probably aiming that towards the likes of Martin Johnson who retired from International rugby. I would find it hard not to bring him along.

Don't know about Foley, he has been quite good for Ireland, but he is a bit of a one trick pony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Going on current and recent form I would look at the following for my starting 15 - although off the top of my head I think I have left a few out and there are many many close calls. Cussiter was played off the pitch by Stringer on Saturday but I think Dawson is a far better scrum half. Hayes is a shunt merchant - far better technical scrummagers around. Tindall in the centre maybe - Shanklin should get in somewhere. So many to choose from.

15. Geordan Murphy
    14. Shane Williams
    13. Brian O'Driscoll
    12. Gavin Henson
    11. Jason Robinson
    10. Ronan O'Gara
    9. Matt Dawson
    1. Gethin Jenkins
    2. Shane Byrne
    3. Tom Smith
    4. Paul O'Connell (c)
    5. Mal O'Kelly
    6. Jason White
    7. Martyn Williams
    8. Michael Owen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Downtimes team is there are there abouts....depending on injuries, it wont be much different from that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

DubGuy22 wrote:
    Downtimes team is there are there abouts....depending on injuries, it wont be much different from that..

I'm off now to pick the All Blacks !!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

best 6 nations in ages - maybe from an interest perspective for ourselves - but for a Lions team seeing England underperform isn't good (though it may prevent overrated players being selected). The close run games so far have been like that because no team was good enough to put the other one away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

uberwolf wrote:
    (though it may prevent overrated players being selected).

Thank god!!!!!
    I dunno how anyone else feels about Robinson at FB for England but i think he his sh!te in that postion and is way too greedy on the attack.Always looks to break theline himself and gives away loads of penalties.Dont want him near the lions team unless he improves fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

15. Murphy
    14. Robinson
    13. O'Drisscoll
    12. Henson*
    11. S.Williams
    10. O'Gara**
    9. Dawson
    1. Jenkins
    2. Byrne
    3. Rowntree
    4. O'Connell
    5. O'Kelly
    8.***

* Just get's it ahead of D'Arcy for me on current form, but depends on how D'Arcy does for the next 3 big games...especially oppiste Henson, that'll decide who gets it.

** Wouldn't pick wilkonson because he'll more than likely not play a minute of the 6N now that England are out of it...they wont risk him.

*** Cant decide on back row yet, have to see if Irish can be up to par for whole tournament, if welsh can keep it up and if English preform.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

daveirl wrote:

maybe jason white at 6, a man with that kind of power would be good to match the all backs, watch some super 12 and them maouris are absoulte animals

id agree shane byrne aint playing the best, probably go for steve thomspon, bit more of an animal.

only bit i would disagree with you would be on henson, darcy has played very little rugby this year and henson is on fire at the moment
    if not henson maybe josh lewsey

DubGuy22 wrote:
    15. Murphy
    14. Robinson
    13. O'Drisscoll
    12. Henson*
    11. S.Williams
    10. O'Gara**
    9. Dawson
    1. Jenkins
    2. Byrne
    3. Rowntree
    4. O'Connell
    5. O'Kelly
    8.***

* Just get's it ahead of D'Arcy for me on current form, but depends on how D'Arcy does for the next 3 big games...especially oppiste Henson, that'll decide who gets it.
    yea i would agree with you there not much between the two the last game to see,
    ** Wouldn't pick wilkonson because he'll more than likely not play a minute of the 6N now that England are out of it...they wont risk him.
    i can see your point, still the guy who can rack up that many points virtually
    winning the world cup by himself has to be in with a shout, worry about rog, the ball might not suit him

*** Cant decide on back row yet, have to see if Irish can be up to par for whole tournament, if welsh can keep it up and if English preform.[/QUOTE]

If you're going to pick Mal then you need someone who can hit him in the lineout. He's a fantastic set piece operator but O'Callaghan might be a better scavanger if Thompson is your pick. The line out needs to be reliable and a platform, I donn't think Thompson can provide that.

Robinson hasn't broken the line yet in the 6N- Patterson has been a better attacker so far. Even Thomas has broken the line more often. Has to be Murphy af FB - criminal for him not to be in the side. And he's not a winger IMO. He needs to hit the middle of a defense to stop them drifting too far out and making more space out wide for one on ones for your winger on either side.

As for Henson. No one has been in his face yet so far, The two Irish lads will be gunning for him, they're aware that he's a threat, and mates that they are. I'm hoping that Bo'D buries him, absolutely buries him, and that D'Arcy makes a fool out of him as well.

Williams has been impressive at 11 so far. Lewsey and Hickie have to pick up their game to be in contention.

uberwolf wrote:
    Thompson
    Wouldnt leave him on any Lions side
    uberwolf wrote:
    Robinson hasn't broken the line yet
    Couldnt agree more
    uberwolf wrote:
    As for Henson. No one has been in his face yet so far, The two Irish lads will be gunning for him
    Think our boys could frighten the sh!te out of him. Think the Levermont for France might rattle him as well (he's huge for a back)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

No one has been in his face yet so far

I agree, but I am worried that this is because he hasn't let anyone get in his face!

uberwolf wrote:
    If you're going to pick Mal then you need someone who can hit him in the lineout. He's a fantastic set piece operator but O'Callaghan might be a better scavanger if Thompson is your pick. The line out needs to be reliable and a platform, I donn't think Thompson can provide that.
    definately cant leave big mal out of the team, not really sure about the hooker position, probably need to see after the 6Ns
    Robinson hasn't broken the line yet in the 6N- Patterson has been a better attacker so far. Even Thomas has broken the line more often. Has to be Murphy af FB - criminal for him not to be in the side. And he's not a winger IMO. He needs to hit the middle of a defense to stop them drifting too far out and making more space out wide for one on ones for your winger on either side.
    agreed robinson hasnt had the best tournment so far but he is been marked out of it and the team he is playing with isnt much to sing about at the moment. he is still an amazing player, it will be a tough call [/QUOTE]
    As for Henson. No one has been in his face yet so far, The two Irish lads will be gunning for him, they're aware that he's a threat, and mates that they are. I'm hoping that Bo'D buries him, absolutely buries him, and that D'Arcy makes a fool out of him as well.
    should be really interesting because BOD and henson have both shown they can give and take hard hits(not that i am saying henson is a patch on BOD )
    i think it will be a great game simply because of the great backline the two have, and their willingness to use them
    Williams has been impressive at 11 so far. Lewsey and Hickie have to pick up their game to be in contention.

Nukem wrote:
    Wouldnt leave him on any Lions side

Couldnt agree more

Think our boys could frighten the sh!te out of him. Think the Levermont for France might rattle him as well (he's huge for a back)

i dont think he is going to be that easily rattled, in the english game you could see his leadership qualities in bringing wales that extra bit to win, and with the pressure kick, and that was some pressure, he put it over confidently.
    he might not be a match for our guys in the technical department but as he shown in the HK and celtic league he is well capable of standing up to our backline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

2 Frankie Sheahan for hooker
    6 Alan Quinlan
    7 Wallace/Millar
    12 J Robinson wasted at FB too much space to cover.
    Worried about 6-7-8 axis NZ minced France's Back three in autumn and they are probably the best 3 in the NH at present.
    Betsen got smashed - who do we have better than him?

jason white is the hardest backrow player at the moment, and i know he is young and hasnt had many caps yet, but johnny o connor i think is going to be big might be worth a gamble. he has such hunger for tackling and skirmishing for the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

CJhaughey wrote:
    2 Frankie Sheahan for hooker
    6 Alan Quinlan
    7 Wallace/Millar
    12 J Robinson wasted at FB too much space to cover.
    Worried about 6-7-8 axis NZ minced France's Back three in autumn and they are probably the best 3 in the NH at present.
    Betsen got smashed - who do we have better than him?

Eh think outside munster here chappie. Players can be picked from all 4 countries and you suggest players who cant even make their national team, totally ridiculous. Its easy to spot a munster fan on here!

Uberwolf- dont think o'callaghan will be selected before the like of o'kelly, brothwick, grewcock etc

As for henson i think he will get he will be showen up before too long, he is a good player but his decissions are not always the best. His talent has been blown out of all proportion after an easy run out against tait and a unambitious italy (in which he didnt really play all that good).

• Advertisement

I wasn't suggesting O'Call should be picked ahead of Mal. But if Thompson is picked at hooker than you lose out on Mals principal quality, and then you'd have to think about your prioritisation of your own line out. If you pick Thompson it's for his play in the open. As such O'Call might have the edge on Mal - whereas Mal is better in the set piece.

spanner wrote:
    i dont think he is going to be that easily rattled, in the english game you could see his leadership qualities in bringing wales that extra bit to win, and with the pressure kick, and that was some pressure, he put it over confidently.
    he might not be a match for our guys in the technical department but as he shown in the HK and celtic league he is well capable of standing up to our backline

Certainly as Dav will testify Henson is so up his ass its not funny-let me make it clear he is a good player but needs time. But with great ability comes great responsibility.
    He has yet to face a huge challenge - he came unstuck twice against Munster,he ran lateral and was poor in both games.

Also with the calibre of Murphy.BOD,D'arcy
    he would want to be sharp - or else you have one of the best backlines in the game coming back at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sundy wrote:
    Eh think outside munster here chappie. Players can be picked from all 4 countries and you suggest players who cant even make their national team, totally ridiculous. Its easy to spot a munster fan on here!

Sundy where is your suggestion?
    I notice a suspicious lack of Wing forwards in all other selections, Moody is listed as well as Michael Owen and Martyn Williams thats it.
    Have a game plan before you knock my Flanker selection.
    Besides Eric Millar plays for Leinster no?
    and J Robinson plays for Sale no?
    I don't profess to be anything other than a munster fan however Munster has a few good players in case you hadn't noticed.
    Just remember Richie McCaw will be foraging at will, this could seriously affect the Lions.
    I take criticism but in a constructive fashion not from a poster that offers nothing but negativity.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

15 G Murphy
    14 J Robinson
    13 B O'Driscoll
    12 G D'Arcy (assuming he proves he's better than Henson, as I think he will)
    11 S Williams (or maybe Gareth Thomas)
    10 J Wilkinson (or ROG if Wilko not fit)
    9 Dawson (best of a bad lot, when focused)
    1 J White
    2 S Byrne (least bad of a terrible lot)
    3 J Hayes (just cant stomach Rowntree)
    4 M O'Kelly
    5 P O'Connell
    6 J White
    7 M Williams
    8 L Dallalgio (still has the edge over Corry and Hogg)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

CJhaughey wrote:
    Sundy where is your suggestion?
    I notice a suspicious lack of Wing forwards in all other selections, Moody is listed as well as Michael Owen and Martyn Williams thats it.
    Have a game plan before you knock my Flanker selection.
    Besides Eric Millar plays for Leinster no?
    and J Robinson plays for Sale no?
    I don't profess to be anything other than a munster fan however Munster has a few good players in case you hadn't noticed.
    Just remember Richie McCaw will be foraging at will, this could seriously affect the Lions.
    I take criticism but in a constructive fashion not from a poster that offers nothing but negativity.
    :)

Ok the players i didnt agree with were wallace and sheahan and i should have specified that. Funnly enough they are the two you didnt give reason for suggesting. As for quinlan, i think hes unlucky that EOS seems to be sticking with easterbunny. Tink quinlan would offer better ball carrying and probably have the edge in the lineout

And if u want my team no problem. here it is, based mostly on 6N form. look forward to hearin wat u tink of it :cool:

15 G Murphy
    14 J Robinson (only just, picked on reputation rather than form)
    13 B O'Driscoll (Captain cause CW seems to tink hes suitable or is it a trick?)
    12 G Henson (Unless D'Arcy gets fit and has good last 3 matches)
    11 S Williams
    10 S Jones (Best so far in 6N.O'Gara mite be better but hasnt hit full form yet. Wilko if hes fit)
    9 C Cusiter (although peel is getting the welsh back line going)
    1 J White (Although Jenkins is goin strong at the moment)
    2 S Byrne (sneakes it over Thompson an Bulloch cause of his throwing)
    3 G Rowntree
    4 M O'Kelly
    5 P O'Connell
    6 J White
    7 M Williams
    8 A Foley

Hmm im glad im not CW, this pickin teams is a hard thing. Funny fellin players like jones mite not make the 1st XV despite playing well

Lets say Wilkinson is fit, but doesnt feature in the 6N (likely). He wont make the Lions, right?

he'd be in my squad TBH.

I'd have said the same re: O'Driscoll, O'Connell and one or two others. People who have produced it consistently for two or three seasons and whom you'd have pencilled in last summer for a starting line up position

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Grizabella

If Simon Taylor comes back and plays well for Scotland he will have to be picked, since Scotland have so few world class players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

I'd say he still has to produce some good games. Assuming he's close to fit I'd bring him on the squad and see how he performed in the warm ups (its not like they're short on space). But he does have to prove himself before he gets the test berth

Slightly ot, but does anyone know whos screening the games (sky i take it?). Will all the games be televised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

kazzer wrote:
    Slightly ot, but does anyone know whos screening the games (sky i take it?). Will all the games be televised?

they'll all be on sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭An Tarbh

One good thing is that all games kick off at night, unlike the last tour to NZ where the tests were on a 3 in the morning.

As for my team at the moment

15. Murphy
    14. Robinson
    13. O'Driscoll
    12. D'Arcy (Henson runs like a crab and is a poor passer)
    11. Hickie/Williams (both speed merchants, undecided between them)
    10. Wilkinson (ROG if he doesn't make it)
    9. Cussiter
    1. Rowntree
    2. Thompson (only if he get's his throwing in order, if not Byrne)
    3. White (good scrummager, especially against NZ)
    4. O'Kelly
    5. O'Connell ©
    6. White
    7. Moody/O'Conner
    8. Corry

16. Byrne, 17. Vickery, 18. Grewcock, 19. Worsley, 20. Peel, 21. O'Gara, 22. Thomas

• Advertisement
Advertisement