Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guide to securing wireless connection (request)

• 15-02-2005 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

where is there a good and fully comprehensive guide
    to setting up and securing a wireless connection?

i googled for one and i cant seem to find one that
    is step by step and really detailed.
    i only see ones that say what you should do but
    dont actually say "how" to do it.....

thanks
    Sharon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

for detailed responses you should post at the very least your :

operating system
    make and mode of wireless router

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

dundealgan wrote:
    where is there a good and fully comprehensive guide
    to setting up and securing a wireless connection?

i googled for one and i cant seem to find one that
    is step by step and really detailed.
    i only see ones that say what you should do but
    dont actually say "how" to do it.....

thanks
    Sharon

Apart from posting as per Chalk's request above have you looked in the manual for your router? It is usually in pfd form on the cd in the box or available for download from the Company's website.

This Google search seems to have lots of material worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

i googled for one and i cant seem to find one that is step by step and really detailed.
    I only see ones that say what you should do but dont actually say "how" to do it.
    It appears that you would like a step-by-step guide that will tell you what to do without any proper understanding on your part of what you're actually doing. While this might work if everything goes perfectly, what happens if it doesn't? An author couldn't possibly cover every eventuality.

There have been many times when I've been implementing a new application or technology that I would have sold my soul for just such a document. In its absence I was forced to read up on the various techologies that were involved. At the end of the process - although it took longer to get there - I (mostly) understood what I was doing and why I was doing it. This is much better than blindly following someone else's step-by-step instructions.

Be prepared to spend some time researching. If you have questions that you can't find answers to by Googling, I'm sure that the very helpful people here will be happy to either answer your questions or point you in the right direction.

Regards,

Liam

Advertisement