Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Worst Ever 11

• 15-02-2005 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭

Now that we are actually shaping up to at least be competitive again I thought this article was quite good as a reminder of the nasty years. maybe other clubs could do similiar threads.

JOHN BOYD of BBC Radio Leeds puts together candidates for Leeds United's worst ever team, with the help of some fans'.

' I delved into the records and found ALAN HUMPHREYS, one of the Don's first signings, he had a largely undistinguished record in the first team but became a regular in the stiffs instead after his move from Shrewsbury in 1959.

To be truthful there's not much more to be said about him so lets move on. At right back I agree with those who nominated BRIAN CASWELL, his positional play was dubious his tackling inept but far worse than that he was never committed to the white shirt. He spent large swathes of his time either injured or back home in Walsall. It was thought he was suffering from home sickness so there weren't too many tears when he disappeared back down the M1.

At left back DAVID ROBERSTON just gets the vote over RONNIE ROBINSON. Like Caswell before him he knew his way to the treatment room. When on the field he was one of those Scottish footballers who never got the pace of the game in England and often found himself trailing in the wake of some plodder who had gone past him.

The middle of the back four was easy to nominate with ROQUE JUNIOR paired with MICHAEL DUBERRY. This was one partnership you just about all agreed on. I remember an interview with Peter Reid where it was suggested that the World Cup winner didn't look up to the job. Reidy laughed at that suggestion and cited the Brazilian's international record but the fact is you can't kid the fans and you know the truth.

DUBERRY had all the attributes to become a first class defender and his record at Chelsea was above passable but he rarely repeated that kind of form with United.

In midfield PAUL OKON was never more than a mistake as he never looked remotely like a United player. At times MARK AIZLEWOOD did but once he lost the confidence of the supporters it was all over bar the shouting. Alongside these two I would add JODY MORRIS who arrived at Elland Road with an interesting reputation and left having added to it.

Up front TOMAS BROLIN is a stand out. He never looked like a Swedish World Cup star and after a bad start he went from bad to worse. His partner would be FRANK STRANDLI and if anybody can make anything of him please let me know. To support this lethal strike force how about CYRIL CHAPUIS , a Frenchman who just couldn't make it all come together.

On the bench there's a queue of candidates but according to you, and you've seen more of him than me, it is MICHAEL RICKETS.

The driving force behind any team is the manager and JIMMY ADAMSON is head and shoulders the winner. He was once asked if he would take part in April Fool's Day jape by pretending he had signed (the then 65-year-old) Stanley Matthews but declined claiming that "they (the fans) would believe it".'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The middle of the back four was easy to nominate with ROQUE JUNIOR paired with MICHAEL DUBERRY. This was one partnership you just about all agreed on. I remember an interview with Peter Reid where it was suggested that the World Cup winner didn't look up to the job. Reidy laughed at that suggestion and cited the Brazilian's international record but the fact is you can't kid the fans and you know the truth.

Why does this piss me off so much?

That guy is a legend and im sure all the stick he gets off Leeds fans and PL blinkered fans will make him cry as he cuddles up to his World Cup winners medal and CL medal and Serie A medal.
    National team
    Roque Junior has proved a valuable defender for Brazil since making his debut against the Netherlands in 1999. The highlight of his international career came in 2002 when he played in six games - all victories - on the way to victory in the FIFA World Cup in Korea/Japan.

Club
    A product of União São José EC in São Paulo, Roque Junior moved to SE Palmeiras in 1995 and helped them to the 1999 Copa Libertadores, also playing in the subsequent European/South American Cup final defeat by Manchester United FC. The following June AC Milan took him to Europe on a four-year contract.

2000: A regular at Milan during his first season, he was more a bit-part player in his second, but - with a World Cup triumph under his belt - made a vital contribution in 2002/03 after recovering from injury as Milan claimed the Serie A title and victory in the Champions League. Roque Junior came on for Alessandro Costacurta 65 minutes into the final against Juventus FC and played through extra time despite picking up an injury with no substitutes left. In the summer he was loaned to Leeds United AFC.

2003/04: With Leeds on their way to eventual relegation, it was not a happy loan spell for Roque Junior other than two goals in a 3-2 League Cup defeat by Manchester United FC. Having already suffered an Achilles injury in November, his loan was cut short in January as a cost-cutting measure, and he immediately headed to AC Siena for the rest of the season. Having helped keep them up, his loan ended and, after being released by Milan, Roque Junior moved to Bayer 04 Leverkusen.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/player.asp?plid=6644&clid=164&cpid=22 And hes doint quite well with Bayer.

I would loved to have seen him in a decent team in the PL, guy is a footballer but at Leeds was surrounded by eh.... non footballers.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

He never did seem to settle into the british game tho. As great as he's doing maybe the premier league didn't suit his style? I know we didnt have much choice pairing him with duberry, in hindsight he may have played better when partnered with a competent (note the lack of the word "more" there) full back who could have compensated more beside him. To say the leeds team were non-footballers is a bit harsh. They're footballers, they just didnt seem to play. Add that to the lack of competency flooding from management and there was never any other outcome :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Roque Junior was, and is, ****e. World Cup Winner, so what? So are Kleberson and Frank Leboeuf and they were, and are, ****e as well.

Advertisement