Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges Heading North..

Options
  • 15-02-2005 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

bbc : Levels of water charges announced

Most Northern Ireland households can expect to pay up to £415 per year in water charges, it has been announced.
    The average household will pay £115 from April 2006, that will rise to £340 in 2008.

On Monday, Minister of State John Spellar announced the likely level of charges for the province. ....

bbc : Water workers plan strike action

Water Service employees are to go on strike next Wednesday over proposals to reform the service in Northern Ireland.
    The move comes after members of the four unions voted for industrial action. They say attempts to engage the government in negotiations have failed.

The umbrella group for the unions said the industrial action will start with a one-day strike then work to rule.

Plans for a government company to take over from the existing Water Service could see up to 700 jobs lost. ....

What do you think?

do you support Water charges? 3 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    0% 0 votes
    Dont care
    100% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

I think rates in the city are rediculous for the condition of the services. (Derry that is)

You saw the recent flood here because the banks aren't properly reinforced. The water system in the city centre is disgusting to put it mildly. The sewage system is so bad that when I lived close to the city centre, the smell coming up from the shower plug hole was enough to make you sick. Same coming through the sinks.

The water condition in the city is terrible. I'm currently living on the outskirts of the city and the water is so badly poluted with iron from the pipes, that I find the metal in my sinks oxidizing.

Considering as well that N.Ireland is one place that is never short of water, I don't know why they feel the need to add these charges. Considering the goverment has been able to maintain this pathetic level of condition for so long on general rates, why do they feel the need to add this now?

They're happy to continue to pay out of work politicians outrageous amounts of money to do nothing, yet are happy to fleece people in the north, which lets be honest, is a virtual black spot of unemployment (wether by choice or not). These days Belfast seems to be the only place to get a job (let alone a decent one).

At what point will the people rise up and say no more to this? I wonder if democracy is killing our nation, as the poor get poorer and the politicians get fatter!

I think the Manic Street Preachers said it best -- "If you tolerate this, then your children will be next"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

Anything that involves another bill I'm generally against.

Advertisement