Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal+more?

Options
  • 15-02-2005 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

I was just wondering what other types of music metal fans listen to besides metal?
    And also whether people think that it should be mixed with other kinds of music(i.e. Rammestein, Linkin Park etc.)

I personally love the Dixie Chicks and a bit of hip hop now and then and like the mix of techno and metal in Industial metal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Good music is good music, reguardless of the genre, and anyone who confines themselves to a single style is a moron. I'm quite the fan of Bjork myself, but it's all good. Be it the Allman Brothers, Blackalicious, Ayami Hamasaki, it's all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I find myself orientated to a lot of piano related stuff lately. But i goi through phases.

I'm also taking a liking to classical and orchestral stuff as well. For some reason I think the "Pirates of the Carribean" soundtrack is totally amazing at the moment! "The Gladiator" is pretty cool as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I'd listen to anything really. I don't get too caught up in genres, just whether I think something is good or not. While I'd mostly listen to and love Metal, I've plenty of time for good indie, blues, hip-hop, lots of jazz, motown, real r&b (the old stuff), folk, whatever. Music is such a positive energy, it's a shame to restrict oneself to just one variety when there is so much good stuff on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Heh, I listen to loads of trance and house music. I got some funny looks in the band room in the tbmc when my ring tone was a dance tune, none of the cheezy remix stuff but proper music like solar stone and stardust.

People who listen to both Nirvana and Metallica and think their range is broad should get a good taste of whats out there, I prefer sampling new styles and genres than rooting through the depths of one particular arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

My main focus in music would be a metal, but I'll listen to most stuff if it's good. I love Tom Jones's music, Chopin, Vivaldi, Aha(there, I said it) and where would you be without Beck? If YOU like it, don't restrict yourself, as Sacred Reich put across in their song 31 Flavours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

i listen to aphex twin,some punk like dead kennedys and old rap like
    N.W.A.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

DBK wrote:
    don't restrict yourself, as Sacred Reich put across in their song 31 Flavours.

Phil Rind said it best
    "Mr. bungle is so very cool so don’t be an ignorant fool there’s so much
    Music for you to choose so don’t just be a metal dude it’s cool fool"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Ive listened to all kinds of stuff since i was a teenager. Stuff apart from metal id listen to would be the orb, various bits n pieces of classical, johnny cash, and indie stuff like autolux. Sole old rap too like doggystyle, tha chronic & 36 chambers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Same - if its good, I'll listen.

At the moment -
    Johnny Cash
    Alison Krauss & Union Station
    Altan
    King Crimson
    John Coltrane
    Atari Teenage Riot
    The Saw Doctors

and all sorts of classical.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

death metal and classical music only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Oeneus wrote:
    I find myself orientated to a lot of piano related stuff lately. But i goi through phases.

I'm also taking a liking to classical and orchestral stuff as well. For some reason I think the "Pirates of the Carribean" soundtrack is totally amazing at the moment! "The Gladiator" is pretty cool as well!

Aye "The Gladiator" soundtrack is a pretty cool album alright.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

I listen only to Swedish Semi-Progressive* Death Gore tbh. In a cave. Somewhere with harsh sounding consonants..

But seriously, I'm into death metal etc., but I'm also into Jazz, Classical, psychedelic trance, industrial and some rap.

*Only if the drummer has more than 3 bass pedals

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

well i love iron maiden, but i like james brown, otis redding, reel big fish, maroon 5, the beatles, anything thats good

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I mainly listen to metal, but back when i was a young dance music listener, i got a few fatboy slim and chemical brothers albums. I give them a listen the odd time, cos when they dont do the usual monotenous "umce-umce-umce" dance tracks, they can have a tendency to sound very progressive and a bit pink floyd-ish sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

hip-Hop/Rap
    Punk
    hardcore
    Motown
    electronic
    soul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Morrigan

nosmo wrote:
    I listen only to Swedish Semi-Progressive* Death Gore tbh. In a cave. Somewhere with harsh sounding consonants..

*Only if the drummer has more than 3 bass pedals

I know this isn't really contributing anything useful to the thread but... ROFL! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 vindictive_miss

:o I'm a closet Kate Bush fan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

i luv metal, its my main focus, but i have a love of other stuff eg.fleetwood mac

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Completely off topic but I love your sig. :)

On an on-topic matter, once it's good I don't care how people categorise it. My main focus is everything under the rock and metal sun, from punk and ska through death metal. Then again, I play in a jazz band, a very odd, contemporary jazz band, and there's not a lot of classical music I've heard that I don't like in some way. I love blues, soul, anything with energy and passion. I love music in its entirety. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What Karl said. If it's good, it's good, and I'll listen to it. I've got music from all over the place. Irish trad, old school blues, jazz, African drumming, Aphex Twin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Funk/Soul/Rap/R n B/Pop

If it's good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Drums

I often listen to a bit of rap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

I must say, im a big fan of Mogwai and Slint. I love the boards of Canada too. Its real wrap myself up in a blanket of feel goodedness/! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Neil young anyway . .

gone on a bit of a bands beginning with "the" kick lately

the killers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Did i hear someone mention Neil Young??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

*steals re*ac*tor's cds*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

:o I'm a closet Kate Bush fan...

I frikkin lOVE HER!
    How does she sing like that?.....in, out, in, out......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

I think the question is "Why does she sing like that?" ;)

On topic, I listen to metal (mostly with singers but with some exceptions), all kinds of rock, a tiny bit of industrial, the occasional piece of classical music and some of the less "everyone sucks and I'm a rebel 'cos I kick stuff" punk.

*throws the horns*

I can't stand urban music, especially anything that is in anyway tied to the word "bling", or anyone that likes to throw "izzle" onto the end of words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Drevin Fairy

British Hardcore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

I like David Bowie......

Advertisement