Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Boy

Options
  • 15-02-2005 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Just ordered this tonight after reading many good review's.
    Anyone see it? thoughts?

Also ordered Memento Mori and Ebola Syndrome(been waiting years to see this one,it's finally been re released).Paid a little over 22euro for the three.

X

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Saw it in the cinema a while back. Very good film, you won't be disappointed. Excellently twisted storyline, some great action scenes (the slow-moving one in the corridor stands out in particular) and one of the best villains I've seen in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Definetly wouldn't call it horror, not by a long shot, but absolutely staggering film altogether! I was really eager to see this because I was completely blown away by director Chan-Wook Park's previous film, Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance. I'd consider him an astounding director, just based off these two film that I've seen, because he was able to make two films on the same theme of "Revenge" yet what he did in both films wes so vastly different. So I can't wait for Joint Security Area to be released along with Three Extremes, a sort of triple feature film he did with Fruit Chan, and favorite film maker of mine, Takashi Miike.

But indeed, Oldboy is a masterpiece, and Min-sik Choi is nothing short of breath-taking in the lead role, but as Fysh says, the villain of the piece is definetly one of the best in a while.
    The fact that the actor cast, Ji-tae Yu was about 15 years younger than Choi was a masterstroke by the director, despite the fact that they're both supposed to be the same age in the film, so when he reveals his pacemaker scar and killswitch, something really feels just plain off and downright eerie about him, as he seems far too young to have a pacemaker, and then we see him excersizing in his penthouse, it recalls the character of Patrick Bateman in American Psycho in a way that we feel he took such good care of himself, and had a well planned routine. It all just works together to make such a fantastic baddie.

I must say, the music of the film was quite fantastic also, and I'd certainly buy the soundtrack, given the chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

I loved this film-people comparing it to Kill Bill was more than a little silly. This is a far better piece of film making and one that I would highly reccomend to anyone. Im not sure about the corridor scene though-seemed out of place to me and as if it would be more suited in something closer to Kill Bill or another tarantino film. Top marks for reminding me of Double Dragon/Streets of Rage/Golden Axe etc though!

I don't get that... Why do so many people seem to be so enthralled with that one scene? Yeah, it was damned cool, but there's a whole film here aside from that, with a fantastic story, and magnificent actors. I really pity anyone who goes to see Oldboy just for that one fight scene.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I don't get that... Why do so many people seem to be so enthralled with that one scene? Yeah, it was damned cool, but there's a whole film here aside from that, with a fantastic story, and magnificent actors. I really pity anyone who goes to see Oldboy just for that one fight scene.

I don't mean to be quite that fanboyish about it; it's just a rarity that a director will deliberately slow down a fight scene like that, when usually you'd be presented with some flashily-filmed and hard to follow melee where the hero inexplicably throws off ten people at a time repeatedly. The fact that he chose to do it in the style of videogames that I spent a significant chunk of my childhood playing was like the icing on the cake.

It's not like the rest of the film was lacking or anything, just that given fight scenes normally feel fake and irritatingly choreographed to me, that one worked so well as to stick in my mind (despite being at least as choreographed as anything in a blockbuster, I'd imagine :D)

• Advertisement

I do agree with you there, in terms of how fight scenes are put together these days, it was a much needed breath of fresh air. I seriously hate the "Shakey Camera" style that most films seem to go for these days, so it was quite a inspirational fight sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I saw some of this film recently but it had no subtitles.

I dont understand how I havent seen this film yet, seen bits and bobs from it and it looks mighty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well based on all youre recomendations Ive placed an order for this one should have it Friday, asuming those lot dont feck up my orders again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

Got it on Monday. What a ****ed up ending. Jesus! Excellent film, disturbing as hell.

Ah it arrived today they dident mess up my order. So i`ll have a look over the weekend sounds great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Ah it arrived today they dident mess up my order. So i`ll have a look over the weekend sounds great!

Its an excellent movie !!! Choi Min Sik rocks !! if you like this get ............ shiri :-) he is a class korean actor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

About the fight scene. I don't remembered it being slowed down... it was just a long fight along a corridor and it all seem to have been filmed in one shot instead of composed of many different sequences... The camera was also distant enough that you see everything, all the extras' reactions after being knocked down etc. I'd imagine it's very complicated to plan and do something like that in one go which is why it's so cool and great and why everyone always mentions it. Plus it looked great.

CodeMonkey wrote:
    About the fight scene. I don't remembered it being slowed down... it was just a long fight along a corridor and it all seem to have been filmed in one shot instead of composed of many different sequences... The camera was also distant enough that you see everything, all the extras' reactions after being knocked down etc. I'd imagine it's very complicated to plan and do something like that in one go which is why it's so cool and great and why everyone always mentions it. Plus it looked great.

My favourite scene is in the sushi bar !!

SICKKKKKKKKKKK !!!!!!!!! Raw Octopus

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

wow. Fantastic film.

where did you but it ? there is a limited edition version,,,,,,,,,,

send me the link please

I sent you on a PM. I havent watched it yet so i`ll let ya know after i get a chance to open the packet witch version I got

I finally got to watch this last night and man was it good not what I expected at all. Really makes you think at the end. I watched infernal affairs right after it and the same guy was in that too.

I think old boy deservers a second watch. I loved the music too really made the film.

Ohhh no !!!!!!!!!!!!

Collin Farrel as Choi Min Sik ??? hehehehehehhe that would be gas !!

Fight scene:- "come her and I bate yah !"

I watched infernal affairs right after it and the same guy was in that too.

Which guy?

• Advertisement

Finally got around to watching Old Boy last night. All I can say is wow. It is by far the most impressive piece of film making I have seen in a long time. Everything was just right, from the story to the casting, everything just jelled together perfectly. A special mention has to go to the music which was beautifully haunting and wonderful.

Finally got around to watching Old Boy last night. All I can say is wow. It is by far the most impressive piece of film making I have seen in a long time. Everything was just right, from the story to the casting, everything just jelled together perfectly. A special mention has to go to the music which was beautifully haunting and wonderful.

If you need the music let me know ! ;-)

PM please

also the music was directed by a University Student !! MAD hey ?

Which guy?

I think its the guy that is the real cop that is under cover with the triads!

I think its the guy that is the real cop that is under cover with the triads!

Tony Leung and Andy Lau were the two main characters in Infernal Affairs, cant remember who was who, but neither was in old boy.

Tony Leung and Andy Lau were the two main characters in Infernal Affairs, cant remember who was who, but neither was in old boy.

Tony Leung was the undercover cop, and Andy Lau was the Triad mole. But quite right, neither of them were in Oldboy.

Tony Leung was the undercover cop, and Andy Lau was the Triad mole. But quite right, neither of them were in Oldboy.

Also they are Chinese not Korean !! :-) OldBoy is Korean

Actor:- Ji Tae Yoo = Villan Choi Min Sik = Adesu

DArko I still go that music for you !!

Spookey where is my DVD ;-)

Drapper wrote:

Sorry about the delay, Im only back today. I'll msn you now.

Drapper wrote:

Spookey where is my DVD ;-)

Ah i havent had a chance to drop over to you this week im on late shift this week. How`s the weekend sound?

• Advertisement

Ah i havent had a chance to drop over to you this week im on late shift this week. How`s the weekend sound?

Cool :-)

Advertisement