Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survey about Mp3 Players!

Options
  • 16-02-2005 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Could you guys help to complete my survey for my dissertation?
    If you can, please answer following questions for me. It will only take 2 minutes, Many thanks.

1. Do you have (a) Mp3 players? What brands are they?
    2. Where do you download your music? Legal or illegal? If legal, how much would you pay for each track?
    3. What is your age?
    4. Are you satisfied with the current Mp3 services in the market, or do you more prefer CD or MD players? Comments? (Optional)

Thanks again. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

okay then
    1. yes, have a Sony NW-HD3
    2. if I download then through fileshare, and ripping my own CDs
    3. don't knwo about the age of the groups, but if you mean how old I am, then 24
    4. Love MP3, and am quite happy with it

there you go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

1. Have a Creative Zen Touch 20Gb
    2. Fileshare, and working through ripping all my CDs to it
    3. I'm 41
    4. I'm not quite sure what you are asking. I like the mp3 format.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

1 - sony cd&mp3
    2 - irc bt and own cds
    3 - 22
    4 - mp3 roxes, not much places to buy with decent choice, coke have 500,000 songs, when suprnova died there were probably that many albums avalable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

1:I have an I-river H320 (20 gigs)
    2:Through ripping my own cds and getting music off friends computers.
    3:18.
    4:I love my player because it doesnt need a program to write the files to the player-just drag and drop and becuase of this I can also use it as a portable hard drive. My experience of other mp3 players isnt as good but I would definitely prefer them to either a cd or md player for the sake of convinience and saving space and the sound quality is generally better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

1. I have a Zen Micro Drive - 5GB
    2. I file share (limewire) and also we have a file share set up in work and we all rip out cd's
    3. 26
    4. yea, pretty satisfied. I mean compared to portable cd's or md's, mp3 players are a million times better. But as far as services go, I suppose there could be more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

1. Have a 40GB iPod and a Zen Micro
    2. Ripping CDs and illegally through Bit Torrent. iTunes and the like would have to halve their prices before I'll use the.
    3. 26
    4. Much prefer MP3 players. The only thing I think about the services are that the pay to download sites are too expensive. The price of an MP3 album is close to the price of a CD album, only the MP3 one is often restricted to one player and the store iTunes for example have nearly no overheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Could you guys help to complete my survey for my dissertation?
    If you can, please answer following questions for me. It will only take 2 minutes, Many thanks.

Nope, prefer minidisc to be honest. I can take the disk out of the player and put it in the stereo without having to hook any players up to it.

2. Where do you download your music? Legal or illegal? If legal, how much would you pay for each track?

I havent downloaded a song in ages. used to use napster and other programs. dont know if the charter would allow me to mention them thogh.

3. What is your age?

4. Are you satisfied with the current Mp3 services in the market, or do you more prefer CD or MD players? Comments? (Optional)

not really the fact that I am into a broad range of music I would ahve to subscribe to multiple different services to be satisfied. I prefer to buy the CDs nowadays whenever the mood takes me and rip them onto the computer. then make my own MD compilations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Ignore yer man above, he hasn't a clue.

1: Yes a Creative Zen Nx 30 GB
    2: Illigally and have ripped my whole CD collection
    3: 32
    4: Yes I love it, beats the s**t out of anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

2 Creative Zen Xtra 30gb and 60gb

Ripped my cd collection and use Bittorrent.

3. What is your age?

Satisfied with it. Much handier being able to carry around most of your music collection in one device. Could do with more players like the iRiver ones that support more than just wma and mp3 format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

1. Do you have (a) Mp3 players? (b) What brands are they?

3g 40gig ipod

torrents, wouldn't pay for tracks on the internet

3. What is your age?

Yes, there is a nice range of products out there to suit nearly everyones tastes/needs, CD and MD players are pretty much redundant at this stage, or at least will be in the not too distant future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

1. Archos AV-340.

2. Mostly rip music from my own or my friends CD's. Not buying online until they sort our the DRM situation.

3. 21

4. MP3s all the way. Haven't seen a 'service' I want to subscribe to yet; but that has as much to do with lack of payment methods as anything else.

Not entirely happy with my AV340 as an MP3 player... it's pretty bulky and battery life is about 6-hours for music. Video playback on the go is pretty much out of the question due to batter life also. I wouldn't want to give it up (some nice features such as the ability to record video direct from a DVD player / VCR / similar) but I could do with a better, lighter, smaller player for day-to-day music listening.

I've also had a 20gb Creative Jukebox Zen (one of the first ones). Very good player I thought. Only complaint was the abhorrent software it required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I have an iPod (15gb)

Music on my iPod is a mixture of MP3s ripped from my own CDs, downloads from illegal peer 2 peer servers (e.g. original Napster, Kazaa) and MP3s from other people.
    I've only bought a few songs online. The whole DRM thing bothers me greatly. I resent being told what I can and can't do with a song I've paid for. It's like going shopping for eggs and being told you can boil them but can't scramble, poach or fry them.

3. What is your age?

I'd like the price of portable music players to come down more. I love my iPod but it was still a lot of money to pay. I notice some CD players are now capable of playing other formats e.g. MP3s which is a positive thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

I have an 20gig woxter iBox (look it up,its shiny)

ripped my cd colection,and friends cd collection and illegally through bittorrent.

3. What is your age?

Semi-satisfied. i dont agree with the whole ipod/itunes DRM up the ass world.
    but apart from that...i like my music free and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

1. sony 20gb hd1
    2. ripping own cds, and sony connect.com downloading tracks. would rather pay for music as stealing is wrong particulary if would have bought it in the first place but not wrong if wouldnt but drm needs to be removed and need to give options of downloading in various bitrates
    3 27
    4 see above, need to remove drm and have various bit rates and compression choices. no point in paying 10dollars for a 132 bit compression when we need cd quality initially for this kind of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Archos Recorder 20GB

I get illegally if i like them i buy them , have bought 14 cds in last 12 months, dloaded about 40 albums.
    3. What is your age?
    29/m/dooooblin
    4. Are you satisfied with the current Mp3 services in the market, or do you more prefer CD or MD players?

Mp3 is perfect music quality is great , only problem is players off all that are out none seem to dow hat i want them too ie radio as standard, Fm transmitter as standard , easy to use controls , files and music , USB 1.1 and firewire not just 2.0.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I have a creative Zen 40gb

I download legally (sort of) from allofmp3.com and also use limewire.

Im 18

I think legal music sites should use MP3 format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

yes, iriver h140
    burn them from cd's or from bands websites mostly(mostly local bands) anything i find hard to get, i might have to use other means
    3. What is your age?
    i wish players werent so damn expensive, and they had more optional hardware(like ipods do), but overall very happy, being able to find songs i thought long lost is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Y'lo

Creative MuVO^2 4GB - Hard drive (Very satisfied)
    Creative MuVO NX 128MB - flash memory(very satisfied other than storage capacity)
    About 10% of it comes from shareaza/kazaa/the like. Rest is ripped from CDs I bought.. Oh and a bit came from a friends computer at a LAN.
    Ich bin 16 Jahre alt.
    In general....yes.... but it'd be better if MP3 players had better format support (OGG, AAC/MP4, etc...). Much prefer mp3's to cd/md players though. More convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

1: Sony netMD (upgrading soon)

2: kazaa, warez etc and ripped from CD collection

3: 31

4: I've never really looked into buying music online but I've read that it's expensive (especially inside EU). I like mp3 once the bitrate is high. Paid for d/ls are obviously the future if they can stop p2p (unlikely)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

1. Creative Zen 40gb
    2. I don't download music because I do not have broadband.
    3. 25
    4. I prefer mp3s to any other format. Possibly some more ways of buying mp3s apart from just downloading via broadband would be nice. Why don;t they try selling them in HMV? Wouldn;t be too hard to impleemnt surely? Why not have an mp3 vending machine with lots of USB and Firewire ports on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

iRiver iHP-140 40GB
    Rip own / download
    Compressed Audio players... Anything that allows me to carry my entire music collection in my pocket can only be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

1. Creative Zen 60GB
    2. eMule, Soulseek. I have bought a few tracks before.
    3. 19
    4. All legal downloads should be at least 192K, and VBR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

yep i have a panasonic 128mg
    i usually burn em off my own or somebody elses cds
    i think its fantastic because it charges off the pc usb port so yay no buying batteries ,
    quite happy with the mp3 player love it infact :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MellonCollie

(1) I have a freecom Beatman

(2) Kazaa, some mp3 search engines. However, lately I've been purchasing my tracks nline from www.allofmp3.com .. I'm not entirely sure of the legality of this website. It is legal in Russia, apparently, but I'm not sure if that covers my country of origin. Anyway, I do feel slightly better about have paid for at least my last 2GB of downloads ;-/

(3) 24

(4) I'm quite happy with the higher bitrate mp3's and I'm happy paying for the tracks too, provided I can pay per track, and that the price isn't unreasonable. Also, I like a decent variety of music and websites selling the stuff should be as up to date as possible, in my opinion ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jimmy_Jazz

1. Sony MD Walkman

2. Ripped from my CD collection.

3. 19

4. I'll probably upgrade to an MP3 player soon but I'll still be ripping all my music from CDs. I don't like downloading music because you usually can't select a particular bit rate. As soon as I can download music legally and at 320K, I'll be all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

1. iRiver iHP140
    2. buy my cd's from internet shops, if i'm looking for something rare then soulseek
    3. 18
    4. suppose so, with more time, it will become more widespread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Jimmy_Jazz wrote:
    As soon as I can download music legally and at 320K, I'll be all for it.

~192kbps --aps MP3 > 320kbps CBR MP3... much smaller filesize too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

1. Zen touch Micro 5G
    2. I download illegaly but not that much as I only have a 64 connection
    3. 13
    4. Yes, much better than cds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

1. iPod 20GB
    2. Ripped or Leeched from friends, my internet connection is too slow (1 hour to download 4MB :eek: )
    3. 24

Advertisement