Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survey about Mp3 Players!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

1. Do you have (a) Mp3 players? What brands are they?
    (k) Yes. iRiver IFP895. Girlf has a Creative Muvo NX200 or something like that.
    2. Where do you download your music? Legal or illegal? If legal, how much would you pay for each track?
    (k) friends, google for a particular song,rip my albums... have never bought mp3 online.
    3. What is your age?
    (k)28
    4. Are you satisfied with the current Mp3 services in the market, or do you more prefer CD or MD players? Comments? (Optional)
    (k) don't understand the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Iriver IHP-140

2. Where do you download your music? Legal or illegal? If legal, how much would you pay for each track?

Ripped from CD collection, Limewire, Kazaa. Allofmp3.com & Mp3searchru.com - the latter two sites but it only works out at around 10c a track.

3. What is your age?

4. Are you satisfied with the current Mp3 services in the market, or do you more prefer CD or MD players? Comments? (Optional)

Once my Iriver is capable of true gapless playback (for live cds & mix albums) I'll be happy!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

1. 30 GB Creative Zen
    2. Download(via ftp,soulseek,bt,newsgroups) and rip CDs- have over 250GB of music :eek: Only buy Irish music
    3. 31
    4. Happy with it -just need a bigger player

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Creative Zen Touch 40GB

Oh Illegal of course! Newsgroups & Emule mostly, sometimes Bittorrent, Soulseek or IRC.

3. What is your age?

Mp3 services? Well I'm happy with my player. And I'm happy I can get free music. So - yes - happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

pwd wrote:
    1. Creative Zen 40gb
    Possibly some more ways of buying mp3s apart from just downloading via broadband would be nice. Why don;t they try selling them in HMV? Wouldn;t be too hard to impleemnt surely? Why not have an mp3 vending machine with lots of USB and Firewire ports on it?

because if they did that, they would have to add DRM to each track locking it to ur mp3 player. mp3 players dont last more than 2 or 3 years as hard drives go so thats not much use is it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

yep, Creative Zen Xtra 30gb.

bittorrent, emule, newsgroups.

3. What is your age?

in terms of portable music, mp3 players beat md and cd hands down. 6,000 tracks on repeat shuffle is like like listening to the greatest radio station without djs and ads!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Iriver H140

2. Where do you download your music? Legal or illegal? Come from CDs mostly, gonna subscribe to mycokemusic once they start accepting Laser. Think each song costs €1.29

3. What is your age?

Hard drive players are great, due to having all my music on one player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 *me*

Creative Zen Touch 40gb
    Ripped my CD collection and anyone else's I can get near, also download, luckily I have broadband, I believe without it this is very slow.
    3. What is your age? 25
    I'm by no means an expert but apart from a little incident of my creative screen goiong blank after only 2month (I got online and telephone assistance to sort out the problem) i'm quite happy with the machine- i suppose there will be constant upgrades available though.
    I love being able to rip cd's especailly those that I would never think of buying- and perhaps would never choose specifically to listen to; then hitting random and getting a surprise is cool. In my mind anything that encourages a wider appreciation of music is a good thing.
    However I believe that there's place in the market for CD and MD players, especially given that not everyone has computer access, and as when my creative was a little sick my MD back up was essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

Iriver h140 40 gig

2. Where do you download your music? Legal or illegal?

Illegeally mostly, Soulseek and limewire although i did buy about 30 albums off that allofmp3.com site although turns out that was illegal aswell!

3. What is your age? 21

Its great because my model has a fm tuner aswell its like a proper stereo that fits into your hand. MP3 players destroy CD or MD players and thats a fact but still the music is too expensive to buy from online stores like cokemusic and itunes etc. And I like the idea of being able to plug your mp3 player into a vending machine and get tracks that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Yup, and iRiver. Ihp120 or something like that.
    From Soulseek and occasionally Kazaa lite. Also rip cds that I/friends/brother owns.
    3. What is your age?
    It relieves the horrible boredom that is the 1-2 hours I spend travelling to and from college every day so yes I'm extremely happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

lomb wrote:
    because if they did that, they would have to add DRM to each track locking it to ur mp3 player. mp3 players dont last more than 2 or 3 years as hard drives go so thats not much use is it

They'd "have" to add it to every Mp3? What's the difference between buying it on Mp3 and CD? They don't prevent people copying a CD to a PC (although I know they've tried), why should they stop you transferring your Mp3 from your player to PC/other player? If they cut out the DRM crap it'd be a runner alright, as people could walk in with any bog standard USB key, even if it's not a player, buy the songs they like and bring them home.

As long as you're paying for it, you should be able to do whatever the hell you like with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Yeah 3G iPod 20GB

Soulseek, Limewire and eDonkey2000/iTunes music store-99c

3. What is your age?

Almost completely satisfied(I need a 40GB iPod, ran out of space on my 20GB months ago!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

leonliang wrote:
    Hi folks,
    Could you guys help to complete my survey for my dissertation?
    If you can, please answer following questions for me. It will only take 2 minutes, Many thanks.

3. What is your age?

Thanks again. ;)
    1.I-pod
    2.I buy my music in shops
    4.Paying for music from legal mp3 distributers (e.g. I-tunes) is a rip off. CD's are much better value for money. You pay 99c per mp3 when you could be buying the whole album for about €13.99 which is alot better quality than mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

PiE wrote:
    They'd "have" to add it to every Mp3? What's the difference between buying it on Mp3 and CD? They don't prevent people copying a CD to a PC (although I know they've tried), why should they stop you transferring your Mp3 from your player to PC/other player? If they cut out the DRM crap it'd be a runner alright, as people could walk in with any bog standard USB key, even if it's not a player, buy the songs they like and bring them home.

As long as you're paying for it, you should be able to do whatever the hell you like with it.

reason is the same as to why sony wont let u burn an mp3 disc of ones library in sonicstage. they only let u burn a cd disc or an atrac open magic gate disc (drm), the reason is it takes time to physically burn all ur tracks to cd and then rip them back again.
    they dont want people buying an album and sharing it with their mates via usb2 onto a pc and then back up to a mates player in 5 seconds.
    i suppose in time they mite sell a drm protected tunes from a kiosk which can be burned to a cd once.

Advertisement